Quantcast Frozen Attraction Coming to Epcot - Replaces Maelstrom - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    But those rides aren't in Epcot. Most of us are saying that we don't have a problem with a Frozen ride, what we are lamenting is where it's being placed.

EXACTLY! I think that's being lost in this thread.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    But those rides aren't in Epcot. Most of us are saying that we don't have a problem with a Frozen ride, what we are lamenting is where it's being placed.
    Exactly...the World Showcase was supposed to be all about the culture of that country. There are so many other places they could have put a Frozen attraction. What they did in Mexico and now Norway is a cop-out. A way to sell more Frozen stuff. Like Mexico, they are probably going to keep the "bones" of the ride and just slap on some frozen characters. I have nothing against the movie...I didn't see it...but IMO it is terrible placement.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    With as fast as technology changes I think it would be dang near impossible to stay ahead of it.
    But they are not even trying. While I think the Little Mermaid attraction at the Mk is cute, it reminds me a lot of the Nemo ride at EPCOT. Nothing new or exciting...nothing cutting edge. The last time they had a cutting edge attraction was Soarin, and how old is that attraction now. They are doing a lot of cut and paste instead of coming up with new exciting things. The technology out there now is amazing.....Universal has been taking advantage of it and now the question is why isn't Disney.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    EXACTLY! I think that's being lost in this thread.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but it isn't lost on myself. I just personally don't think it's a big deal and I'm happy to see the change. I don't isolate any one type of attraction to one type of park.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but it isn't lost on myself. I just personally don't think it's a big deal and I'm happy to see the change. I don't isolate any one type of attraction to one type of park.
    For me personally, I don't want to visit 4 Magic Kingdom's when I'm at WDW. That's what it's turning into. The only park with a somewhat clear purpose (except for the "MK type") is Animal Kingdom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    [I] . They've been unable to establish and maintain working relationships with foreign nations to keep World Showcase vibrant or expanding. They've been unable to maintain or create lasting relationships with industry to supply innovation for Future World. Worse than simply maintaining the status quo,
    Its not just industry. When my daughter was a college freshman, and met with the Dean of Civil Engineering at a college in Florida, the dean gave her many examples in Civil Engineering where the senior design project was incorporated with Disney, and Disney adopted and implemented that senior design. Now, they no longer work with the senior design projects. My daughter is a senior now, so it was in the last 3 years that this has stopped. Which is a shame. Imagine what could happen if the Civil Engineer students who LOVE Disney were given the opportunity to help revive World Showcase via their senior projects - and then Disney implemented some of their designs. These are the students who have Walt's dream as their dream.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

For me personally, I don't want to visit 4 Magic Kingdom's when I'm at WDW. That's what it's turning into. The only park with a somewhat clear purpose (except for the "MK type") is Animal Kingdom.
    They aren't tearing down Norway and putting in a princess attraction. Norway will still be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post
    They aren't tearing down Norway and putting in a princess attraction. Norway will still be there.
    Oh yeah. My bad.

Post Thanks / Like

- Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

This has saddened my wife and I much to be honest. We were on the ride Saturday and came home and read this on the Disney blog. We went back yesterday to ride it again. We also waited 40 minutes to do so both days so its definitely not a dead ride.

My biggest problem with this is that the sense of Norway will be almost gone come October 6.

They first made Akershus into princess dining, which was bothering, but not too bad as I still had kringla to get a wonderful warm smörgås from or perhaps a nice place to have some coffee and some sweets.

Then they took all the Norwegian history out of the Stavkyrka and made it Frozen related. Now this. The only real Norwegian bits that will be left is Helly Hansen and Dale clothing and some candy.

My wife being form Sweden and me being from Germany, we have spent some wonderful time in Norway and love the country. We actually shed a tear yesterday as we exited the ride and into the little sea village as it feels like home.

I just cant help but feel that they are doing this in the wrong way. Frozen does not take place in Norway it was inspired by it. The story it is based off of is Danish. Not much Norway really in it that background. Also, with the ride opening in 2016, will the massive Frozen hype really still be there or will most already have moved on to something new?

Talking with some of the Norwegians there yesterday and they are not to fond of it either. They shared the same points as I above as well.

With the more and more food festivals and what they are doing with Epcot in general, I feel as if this park is just quickly sliding away further and further from the glory days and I will be very sad to see it change to something completely different.

I understand that things must evolve, but Epcot has more then evolved, it is completely changing from the educational, inspirational and cultural park it once was.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally get where you are coming from but I'm not sure this ride makes the park become more Magic Kingdom like. I think it is all n how they do it. I'll be honest. I like Maelstrom but I ride it because it is a fun ride, not because it gives me a bit of Norwegian culture. And chances are I'm skipping the movie except when I'm with you.

I think it is possible to put a Frozen ride in and keep the integrity of the area. It is also possible to put in a Frozen ride and destroy the integrity of the area. I have my fingers crossed that they do it the right way.

We've all discussed before (as much as we love it), how EPCOT has become a problem park. You see in it the constant Fastpass pressure on Soarin' and Test Track.I think for everyone of us who misses the old EPCOT, there are 2-3 people who just want rides and this is catering to them.

I do think World Showcase functions pretty well overall the way it is. I would be much happier if they turned their attention to Future World and gave it back some life.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    I think for everyone of us who misses the old EPCOT, there are 2-3 people who just want rides and this is catering to them.
    Yeah I think this is the thing. I've see countless people walk into the movies at France or Canada or China, ask "Is this a ride?" and as the cast member is explaining that it's a show highlighting parts of their country the guests turn and walk back out mid-sentence.

I work in an engineering-related field, I've been into science and learning how things work as long as I can remember. For me seeing how things worked at Communicore and seeing the evolution of a particular technology at World of Motion or the Living Seas or other areas of Future World was wonderful! Seeing different cultures and people and architecture and scenery and goods from a particular country was what made World Showcase special.

BUT, that's not what the majority of people want today. They want to be be shown something for entertainment rather than being stimulated to think or dream or interact. It's why so many people love reality television and follow what celebrities do rather than going out and doing amazing things with their own lives. Epcot is just following the masses. Therefore we get celebrity hosts and cartoon overlays on what used to be educational and immersive pavilions. Now they'll replace a ride based on the history and folklore of a nation with a sing-along ride based on a cartoon. The dumbing down has been going on for awhile, this is just another step in that direction and it's not unexpected. The reality is Disney's job is to get bodies through the turnstiles, not to highlight new technologies, that was always going to be a conflict between the original vision for Epcot and the realities of running a theme park business.

You have to wonder what Norwegians would think about the portrayal of their country changing to a Frozen themed ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    I totally get where you are coming from but I'm not sure this ride makes the park become more Magic Kingdom like.
    I don't think it is this by itself, it is the culmination of many changes. Roll back to when they changed the name and all the changes that arrived since then.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it is this by itself, it is the culmination of many changes. Roll back to when they changed the name and all the changes that arrived since then.
    No disagreement from me that it is not the park it once was. It's more that even with the changes so far, it doesn't have a MK feel to me.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

For me personally, I don't want to visit 4 Magic Kingdom's when I'm at WDW.
    Exactly

I don't want WDW to become one big homogenized product - food, merch, attractions, etc all the same at parks and resorts. And it seems to be headed that way.
    But I guess that is what the average guest wants.

At Epcot, I don't mind the character greetings. But don't like the characters in the attractions e.g. 3 Caballeros, Seas with Nemo, Frozen Maelstrom.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

If nothing else, this thread goes to show it's different strokes for different folks

I do "get" all sides, I just may not agree.

At the end of the day to be honest, I'm just thankful to be able to even have the opportunity to go to the parks and take my children. As we know with life things can change and that may not always be possible.
    In a world of chaos and sadness, I'm glad I've gotten the chance to go regardless of what is there.

It could be way worse
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    If nothing else, this thread goes to show it's different strokes for different folks
    It has been like therapy for me. When you care more about the focus/mission/purpose/theme of a park than its owners do, you've got a problem. I'm that person. I read the books. I watched the shows. I bought into the story. I got angry when it was revealed to be marketing nonsense.

At the end of the day, all they care about is money. The rest is just part of convincing you to give them that money. They care about theme and purpose only so long as it gives them cash. If they think they can get more by walking away from that, they certainly will.

Clearly many people don't really care if Disney turns Epcot into just another park full of Disney things you can find elsewhere. Why should I? Especially if caring about it doesn't make me happy.

I still think that a lot of people will ultimately be disappointed with the direction of Epcot, but maybe not enough to matter.

Post Thanks / Like

It has been like therapy for me. When you care more about the focus/mission/purpose/theme of a park than its owners do, you've got a problem. I'm that person. I read the books. I watched the shows. I bought into the story. I got angry when it was revealed to be marketing nonsense.

At the end of the day, all they care about is money. The rest is just part of convincing you to give them that money. They care about theme and purpose only so long as it gives them cash. If they think they can get more by walking away from that, they certainly will.

Clearly many people don't really care if Disney turns Epcot into just another park full of Disney things you can find elsewhere. Why should I? Especially if caring about it doesn't make me happy.

I still think that a lot of people will ultimately be disappointed with the direction of Epcot, but maybe not enough to matter.
    I can understand what you're saying here, but I think you may not be factoring in a couple of things. First, if the original vision is not going to bring in a profit, then it has to be modified or we won't have a Disney to go to. Second, and more importantly, you are doing a disservice to the many people who work for Disney who really DO care about theme and purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I can understand what you're saying here, but I think you may not be factoring in a couple of things. First, if the original vision is not going to bring in a profit, then it has to be modified or we won't have a Disney to go to. Second, and more importantly, you are doing a disservice to the many people who work for Disney who really DO care about theme and purpose.
    I understand. I know it is my fault for really believing in it when it should always be about the cold exchange of currency at the end of the day. From the mouths of Imagineers themselves, they have to do things they may disagree with in order to get the budget to do anything at all. The only way to put money into The Living Seas was to Nemo it up all the way. They are dealing with the realities of the management structure and approval process that they have (not the one they wish they had).

I know I probably come off a bit condescending and maybe even pompous about it. I don't really intend to say that others are wrong or don't get it, ultimately. It is my supreme disappointment in the way things have been (and continue to be) going. If I had never thought about EPCOT Center as being more than a gimmick to turn a buck, I would not have the feelings and reactions I have had. It came along at a point in my life, I guess, where I bought in.

I really shouldn't be more concerned about it than the actual owners of it are. There's no real point. I appreciate the responses. For the most part, they have been thought provoking.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand. I know it is my fault for really believing in it when it should always be about the cold exchange of currency at the end of the day. From the mouths of Imagineers themselves, they have to do things they may disagree with in order to get the budget to do anything at all. The only way to put money into The Living Seas was to Nemo it up all the way. They are dealing with the realities of the management structure and approval process that they have (not the one they wish they had).

I know I probably come off a bit condescending and maybe even pompous about it. I don't really intend to say that others are wrong or don't get it, ultimately. It is my supreme disappointment in the way things have been (and continue to be) going. If I had never thought about EPCOT Center as being more than a gimmick to turn a buck, I would not have the feelings and reactions I have had. It came along at a point in my life, I guess, where I bought in.

I really shouldn't be more concerned about it than the actual owners of it are. There's no real point. I appreciate the responses. For the most part, they have been thought provoking.
    You weren't at all condescending or pompous. You just sounded really, really depressed about it. I probably didn't do a good job of getting this across in my post, but I thought it would give you a good and hopeful feeling to think about how many people must be a part of Disney that really do care as much as you do. Maybe going for the profits enables Disney to do the less profitable, closer to the vision stuff. I'm just saying that you can acknowledge the reality of Disney needing to turn a profit without losing absolutely all belief in what they're about. It's not all one or the other.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: