Quantcast Crowd GPS and Tracking Lost Items

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crowd GPS and Tracking Lost Items

Does anyone use crowd GPS devices like Tile or Trackr? I would like to use one on my wallet/keys/phone/child and need to pick one. Seems to me like Disney would be the ultimate location for crowd GPS locators. Perhaps a future feature for the magic bands.....
    1989 - (Old Town) Days Inn, Kissimmee
    1991 - (Christmas\New Year 1992) Villas at Seven Dwarfs Lane, Kissimmee
    2002 - (Halloween) Island Club West, Davenport
    2008 - (May) Marriott Grande Vista
    2015 - Art of Animation

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The magic bands can be used by Disney for tracking. They already do this on the ship in the child programs. They can also do this in the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what use the devices you are talking about would have in a place like WDW. Those devices have a broadcast range of only 100 ft. So to pick up the signal you have to get within 100 ft and then the app can show the direction from the broadcast GPS location. At that civilian GPS has a minimum error rate of 3 m (~10ft) and can easily be 3-6 times that.

As far as a lost child, it's going to quicker and safer to approach a CM and have them start Disney's search procedures.

Lost property might help but if you can't remember where you left the item then you'll just be walking around hoping to locate the signal. If you can remember where you might have lost it (which you likely will) then you can find it just walking there. If it's not there then going to Lost and Found is your best option. The devices really don't provide much advantage in a large space with lots of people who can and will pick things up.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

now that is awesome.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

By the time you realized you had lost something like that (phone, wallet, keys, child) it would have either a) been picked up and stolen or b) been picked up and given to a CM who would take it to lost and found.

I can see these maybe being useful if you're constantly losing your keys at your own house, but in a big public place with tens of thousands of visitors a dropped item isn't going to remain left there for very long. Seems like it'd just be a waste of money to get this for a trip to Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

i know that cast members are very careful when seeing a small child that looks scared or alone and make sure they are ok.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: