Quantcast How many people have been to both WDW and Disneyland? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Went to both... My one trip to DL sold us mostly because of the history, but DLs huge advantage is not converting to FP+

It's unfortunately headed that way though, in some form or other.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to Disneyland for the first time last October. Someday I might even write a trip report about it.

I went to Disney World for the first time when I six. I've lost count on how many times I've gone since we moved to Florida.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to WDW coming up on our 17th or 18th trip. Starting to lose count. Have only been to DL once which was last year. We loved the easy access to each park, hotels, shopping, from a central location, but we just felt cramped and crowded the whole time. Not a place that we will probably visit again unless we are already in southern California for other reasons. For us, just not worth a special trip. We felt that WDW is far better and we will continue to go there. The only thing we all loved was at California Adventure and that was Cars Land. We spent a great deal of time there and would love to see it or at least a part of it at the Studios in Florida. That would definitely get us spending more time at that park again!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to WDW twice - once in 1992 and once in 2012. Both were long family visits, staying onsite and enjoying the immersion of Disney.

I've been to DL 3 times. I've been able to go to a conference held in Anaheim in January for the last 3 years. Each year I buy a couple of twilight conference passes. This lets you go in after 4pm until close, for either DL or DCA. (They sell park-hoppers too, but I can't see how you could want to hop with that short timeframe.)

I'm glad I get to visit - any Disney visit is better than no visit at all - but DL is quite different than WDW. I have enjoyed it more each year than the previous, partly because I have changed my expectations.

A few observations:

• DL is smaller. Landlocked by hotels and tourist spots. Convenience and liquor stores. This means some rides are smaller. (Tower of Terror pales in comparison with the WDW version.) This means immersion is less. This means the walkways are tighter. This also means a bit less walking.
    • DL has LOTS of locals. There are lots of California resident passes, etc., and the nature of the park brings in more locals than "tourists." This changes the feeling and atmosphere. Both times at WDW I was surrounded by people who were in awe, caught up in the magic of a special place and a special trip. For some, a once in a lifetime trip. On my first DL visit I was in awe, and surrounded by people who couldn't care less. The atmosphere everywhere felt like it does at our local theme parks.
    • Some rides are better. PoTC is much longer and better - more atmospheric. Some rides only exist at DL - like Nemo's sub voyage, which was much better than I expected. (I don't remember WDW 2000 Leagues fondly.) Cars Land is incredible, and I'd hope to see something like it at WDW some day. Some rides are also worse - I didn't care for the DL ToT, and WDW ToT is one of my worldwide favorite rides.
    • Nostalgic rides. There are some rides here that were originals, or firsts, or that no longer exist elsewhere. Mr Toad. Matterhorn. Snow White. You can also see Walt's apartment in the Fire Station. Any of these can whisk you back in time.

For me, DL is a trip to make when you are nearby for other reasons, or if you are a die-hard Disney fanatic. I wouldn't make a trip just for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been going to Disneyland on a regular basis since 1955. I lost count of my visits long ago. Even my kids have lost count of their visits they've been so many times. We are fortunate to be able to take day trips if we want.

I have never been to WDW. It would be nice some time, especially to visit Epcot.

I agree with Melanie that the ideas and technology should be shared between Parks, but keep the attractions and architecture unique to each.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I was born and raised in FL and have been going to WDW my whole life. I've become a more regular visitor as an adult with children. Like those who do/have lived in CA, I couldn't tell you how often I've been to WDW.

I've gone to DL twice now, once each year for the last two. My husband and I plan on going back again this year. I HOPE it becomes an annual tradition. There's just something about being in the place where it all began.

Ultimately, I'd love to visit all the parks world-wide. Like Melanie, I too love to travel. However, overseas travel no longer holds the appeal it once did for me.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Been to both, mostly WDW
    I would Love to get the chance to take my kids to DL they have been to WDW many many times.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to both! WDW many times, but Disneyland only once. We're hoping to get back there in 2016 of the fates align! One thing we noticed about Disneyland was how "plussed" so many of the rides seemed. Our favourite difference is Pirates and how it passes the Blue Bayou restaurant. Such a cool experience. We can't wait to go back!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Been to both. WDW over a hundred times and DL only once back in 2004.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Post Thanks / Like

Yup--numerous times to WDW and Disneyland and once to Disneyland Paris.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    It's unfortunately headed that way though, in some form or other.
    I don't know how since they can't even get the hotels and parks to sync the room keys with the tickets. I honestly don't see it happening....which is why my recent trips have been to DL.

WDW is certainly my vacation of choice, with 4 parks, 2 water parks, and all those hotels and good restaurants in the parks. But the fact that they're taking out my favorite Icon, my favorite act and main reason to visit Epcot - the World Showcase Players - have been cut, and it's getting pricey to fly to Orland with a family of 5 has tilted us to a 6 hour drive to Anaheim. I've done 5 day trips the last two Novembers to DL, and I can say it's growing on me. It's taken me a while to get used to less planning, less TS places to eat, and the fact that fireworks get cancelled often (vs just about never at WDW). But with Legacy FP, it's a really good place for a relaxed and no stress Disney vacation. Didn't think those existed anymore. And we'll be going back next week thanks to some APs.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

BOTH!
    2 TRIPS AS A CHILD!
    00-CBR 1st trip with now husband!
    05 ASM
    07 CR & 1st MNSSHP
    08 POFQ MNSSHP
    09 BW MNSSHP
    10 AKL MNSSHP
    11 CS MNSSHP!
    12 Two DL Trips & MNSSHP
    13 POLY MNSSHP
    14 WL MNSSHP
    15 POLY MNSSHP
    16 CS & 10th MNSSHP
    17 POR & MNSSHP
    18 AKL 1st MVMCP
    19 POR MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

i went to DL once a few yrs ago cause i wanted to see the original. it was before cars land. maybe someday ill go back but it was the history of it that was important to me...and its a lot further away. ive been to WDW 22 times or so
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

manutd1 Guest

Just went to DL last summer. Went for 2 days! Love that place. It is so "so cal" thing going on but it is also Walts original. I consider it my favorite park. But as a vacation with kids and all...we usually choose WDW. But, DL is VERY special to me.

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Went to both... My one trip to DL sold us mostly because of the history, but DLs huge advantage is not converting to FP+
    Just can't wrap my head around the dislike for FP+ it is insanely easy to use and while in the parks..everyone we chat to loves it. I guess i just don't see the issue with it. Its like pressing the easy button. Having 3 FP prior to leaving for a vacation is just very satisfying. After that..its just like normal Fp only i use my phone.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of people can't always get the fast
    passes that they want, and the kiosk in the park to change them has had extremely long lines.
    Too bad we can no longer get the legacy fast passes in the park in addition to the ones that are made in advance.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to WDW too many to mention, but DL only once. For me, I want DL to stay as close to the original as possible. WDW can change and add things, and I like that they added California adventure for that reason. But I went to DL because it was "Walt's House". I didn't go for the amusement park aspect. I live 30 minutes from a major amusement park and I rarely go there. I went because it's the MECA...to walk in his footsteps....sorry if that sounds corny but to me it's the HOLY LAND!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to both, but only two visits to Disneyland.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Been to both. In fact, went to both last year. Hadn't been to DL in many years, and decided to check it out now that Carsland is open.

While we loved cars, didn't really enjoy the rest. Too small, and crowded. Plus really hate how most of the lines are either uncovered or outdoors w/ little AC.

Had to go to WDW and the Food/Wine festival to get the taste out.

However, I think it comes down to the age ol.. if you grew up going to DL, WDW might seem like overkill or too massive and distant from the original. If you were a WDW person growing into disney, then DL seems too small and quaint.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to both as well. WDW more than DL. I like DL way better than the MK. It just seems like they didn't do any of the attractions at DL on the cheap. It may be because most are original. I do like The Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain better at the MK. It marvels me that the two parks in California have about just about as many attractions as all four parks in Florida. As a whole, I like the whole Vacation Kingdom of WDW. As I read somewhere, it is like having two children and someone asks you which one you like better. Both have pluses and minus'. But, most parents love all of their children the same.
    "There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and dreams that we could possibly imagine."-Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: