Quantcast Spring Trip with 3 Newbies: Travel and Day 1 in parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spring Trip with 3 Newbies: Travel and Day 1 in parks

Cast:
    Myself-trip planner and list maker extraordinaire
    Dbf-Was at WDW when he was too young to remember
    DD11-1st time-hesitant thrill seeker
    DD8-1st time-total thrill seeker!

We left Appleton on Sunday around 1:00 in the afternoon headed for Chicago where we would fly out the following morning. (Long story as to why we drove all the way to Chicago to fly to Orlando-don't aks! . I am a nurse who works night shift and I was lucky enough to get sent home at 10:00p.m. the night before due to low census on the hospital floor where I work and the fact that I was in overtime at that point. Score!!! The trip to Chicago would be that much easier. The drive there was uneventful and we settled in to our hotel to try to sleep for the big day ahead of us.
    We woke up around 6:00 a.m. and got ourselves ready. We arrived at O'hare around 8:30 for our 10:40 departure to Florida. We were waiting at our gate when there was an announcement that our gate was changed to a completely different level of the airport. Okay, not a big deal...so we headed across the airport and down a level to our new gate. About 10 minutes before we were to begin boarding there was an announcement that there was a mechanical issue with our plane and it was going to be delayed until 12:00. Uggh...maybe we should grab some lunch. As we were eating I received a text from United stating that the time of departure was now 2:00. Dangit! This would completely mess up my plans and the fast passes I had set up. Oh well...we will still be in Disney by evening. My DDs were so patient throughout our 7 hours at the airport, I was completely expecting them to melt down. Thank goodness!! Our flight finally left around 3:00 and we were in Orlando by 6:00. I received a text from United telling me that one of our 3 suitcases had been sent on an earlier flight so I would have to pick it up when we arrived at the airport. Good grief! Luckily, we spoke with a baggage claim agent and he let us look through the unclaimed baggage. It wasn't there and he told us that if it had a yellow sticker on it then Mickey Mouse certainly picked it up and it would be at our hotel. My DD8 loved this! Okay, the magic is starting.
    We arrived at AoA and our items we ordered from Garden Grocer were in our room. We freshened up a bit and headed to take a bus to MK. As long as I live, I will never forget the magical feeling of walking up Main St. towards Cinderella castle with my daughters for their first time at WDW. It was truly something that will be etched in my memory and on my heart forever.
    We missed our fastpass for 7DMT so we decided to ride POTC since the wait was only 10 minutes. Everyone loved this ride! We ended up riding it probably 15 times before we left at the end of our trip. After POTC we rode HM which also had a short wait. Next we decided to eat since we hadn't eaten since lunch at the airport. We went to Columbia Harbor house and had fish for the 3 older ones and DD8 had chicken nuggets. I was disappointed that they no longer have a lobster roll on the menu; that is why I went there in the first place but the fish was okay and we were full. On a side note: We got the dining plan and DD11 was a bit disappointed in the choices for her as she had to order from the adult menu. She wanted something off of the kids menu and she certainly does not eat any more than a kid's meal amount of food. This would continue to be an issue throughout our trip and I learned that I will never get the dining plan again if I have a child with me who is under 13-maybe not even then (we wasted a LOT of food).
    Next we rode IASW. I feel like this is a ride you have to ride once, but by the end of it my head was beginning to ache. Everyone agreed we didn't need to ride this ride ever again. By this time it was about 9:45 and we decided to go in stand-by for 7DMT since the wait was 35 minutes. The fireworks began while we were in line and we saw a few of them. We loved this ride!!! I wouldn't want to wait 75 minutes to ride it (which was the wait time for most of our trip), but we did like it a lot. DD11 gets a bit nervous on roller coasters sometimes so she sat by me and absolutely loved it! After we were done we headed to SM since I had managed to change our FP time to 10:30 earlier in the day from the airport. Dbf and DDs absolutely loved SM. I was worried about how DD11 would feel about it but she wanted to ride it again immediately. We didn't do that since the wait was long and we were all exhausted.
    We caught a bus back to AoA and all of our suitcases were in our room-yay!! We stayed in a Finding Nemo suite and DDs absolutely loved the theming! DD8 slept on the pull out couch (which was surprisingly comfortable!) and DD11 slept on the pull down bed. I showered and we all fell asleep and dreamed of the magic we would experience for the next 5 days in WDW.
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP
    4/27-5/3/15 AoA Nemo suites
    Getting married at WDW in 2018- Staying at WDW Swan for 4 nights and Polynesian for 4 nights.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an awesome day despite the airport delays.
    By the way, I'm from Appleton too!
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Neighbor! Fox Valley Disney Fans Rock

Uhhhhgggg...O'hare...enough said.
    Sounds like an awesome day even with the flight delays.
    Can't wait to read the rest of your reports!
    Michael
    You ain't never had a friend like me!

DVC Owner - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Seven hours in an airport is never a fun start to a trip! Glad your park touring seemed to make up for the long wait to arrive!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness! What a long flight delay! Thankfully you ended up having a good night in the MK to make up for it!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about the airport delay but it was awesome that your girls were able to take it ll in stride. Seems like they will do well with waits then at the park. I would have expected a melt down even with adults with those waits. Glad the Disney magic found you early on your adventure. Sounds like you had a great first day. As for that memory etched into your mind - I am very much looking forward to that also when we take my toddler & his Dad. I hope it turns out as magical as yours. Congrats again on a great first day.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to know other Fox Valley people are on here!!
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP
    Getting married at WDW in 2018- Staying at WDW Swan for 4 nights and Polynesian for 4 nights.

Post Thanks / Like

deedee, I'm excited to hear about your first trip with your husband and toddler. I'm sure it will be magical-Magic just has a way of finding you at WDW
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a good first day even with the airline problems.
    gordonokc24

All Star Sports 2014
    All Star Sports 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Not such a great start with the delay in the airport. However it sounds like y'all had a great first day once you got to the Park. Thanks for sharing

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: