Quantcast Is Disney Spring Going to be a DISNEY Place?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Disney Spring Going to be a DISNEY Place?

OK so they tore down our beloved Adventurer's Club and Disney Quest is going to be replaced with, really?, NBA Experience or some other non-Disney chain establishment exactly like what's at Myrtle Beach and Branson and Pigeon Forge etc.?

Folks, I can get a great steak and watch an 3D IMAX Movie and visit an aquarium and drive a go-cart at the mall 20 minutes from my house.

If Disney Springs is more Springs than Disney it won't find space on my vacation plans.

I don't go to Las Vegas to see Mickey Mouse and I don't go Walt Disney World to see the same chains that have restaurants across the United States.

<end rant>

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

May I sugguest you do some research before ranting next time. Lot of the resturant that were in down town disney were franchised. Not run by disney at all just on property.
    Here we go feel the flow its the universe of energy.

One little spark imagination, its how our minds create creation. Right at the start of everyting that's new one little spark light up for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default One Spark of Imagination

Yes, there have always been non-Disney restaurants at DTD like Planet Hollywood. It has always been a mix of Disney and other brands.

My 'rant' is replacing what's distinctly Disney with what's in and around every super mall in the Unites States makes Disney Springs less of a Disney World attraction and more of what could be called Walt Disney World Mall.

Post Thanks / Like

See, there are some things about Disney Springs which I like. I am thrilled with the additions of high end restaurants. I prefer signature dining and I'm glad they have added some new choices. I've eaten at all of the signatures (except V&A's) multiple times and I'm ready for new experiences.

Yes, I have plenty of these kind of high end restaurants by me in Philly and I do dine at them, but I want the same level of dining when I'm on vacation, even at Disney World. It should also be noted that a large percentage of guests to Disney World don't have as many dining options by them as you or I.

I realize people miss the Adventurer's Club, though it did nothing for me. I actually miss the Comedy Warehouse more. For the most part, though, I am fine with replacing a bunch of nightclubs which I went to maybe once every 3 years. Now, I actually want to go to the Downtown area every trip.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you. I always liked DTD over Universal's CityWalk because DTD had some unique Disney things, even with a few chain places here and there whereas CityWalk is all chain stuff that I can get any time. I live in a tourist destination. Every restaurant at CityWalk I have 10 min or less from my house. Now DTD is essentially becoming the same. But, that said, I haven't been down since Dec so I haven't experienced Disney Springs. I'll give it a shot. Not excited by what I've seen so far, but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I will admit the time we spend at DTD has been dwindling on the last few trips bc if we have it near home there is no reason to waste precious Disney time on it while on our already too short vacation. I am looking forward to checking out the new layout & the new restaurants bc we too love our signature dining. And this trip I was planning on the characters in flight experience so hopefully that doesn't disappear too (several other planned items have ). I am planning on reserving my judgment overall until we see the completed area and hoping it surpasses my expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    I'm with you. I always liked DTD over Universal's CityWalk because DTD had some unique Disney things, even with a few chain places here and there whereas CityWalk is all chain stuff that I can get any time. I live in a tourist destination. Every restaurant at CityWalk I have 10 min or less from my house. Now DTD is essentially becoming the same. But, that said, I haven't been down since Dec so I haven't experienced Disney Springs. I'll give it a shot. Not excited by what I've seen so far, but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    But the dining options that they are bringing into Disney Springs are more high end than most of what is offered at Citywalk. Most of the restaurants in Citywalk are either restaurants I have by me (Margaritaville) or chains I don't like (Bubba Gump's). Even Emeril's, which I consider on the high end of dining for Citywalk, is a copy of many of his other restaurants. I've been to the original in New Orleans, so no need to go to this one. By contrast, Morimoto Asia looks like it will have a completely different menu than say the Morimoto restaurant in Philiadelphia. For the record, this is why I don't go to Earl of Sandwich. I have one in Philadelphia and one in Tampa, so no need to go to one in Disney.

Now if I see a P.F. Chang's open up in Disney Springs, I will be disappointed!
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

The retail portion has seemed a little mall-ish so far, but The Edison and Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar are both poised to be unique, themed experiences. Personally, I'll be checking out both of these locations when they are open.

Some of the retail locations may also be more aimed at International Guests than Domestic. I've been amazed at how much our European and Asian customers will spend at my local suburban Mall when visiting my plant.
    Figment! aka Jason șoș
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I think the greatest addition is the parking garage! Has anyone seen it yet? Not only does it eliminate driving around for 20 minutes looking for a spot, but it is extremely high tech and I have never seen anything like it. It will tell you which level/row has spaces available and exactly which space is open. It's pretty cool. I just hope they fix the bus transportation for when we stay on property. Last time it took 30 minutes to get to the drop off from old key west.
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

Post Thanks / Like

I too am glad there will be more parking and honestly, I was never a fan of Disney Quest. Since when we stay at a Disney resort we buy "length of stay" park hoppers, it's as easy to visit a real Disney Park as DQuest. Restaurants are a tricky thing for us. We like Raglan Road but I'd still rather hop the monorail to eat at a Disney resort or boat over to the Boardwalk than go to the shopping and nightlife area whether they call it PI or DTD or DS. To each his own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    OK so they tore down our beloved Adventurer's Club and Disney Quest is going to be replaced with, really?, NBA Experience or some other non-Disney chain establishment exactly like what's at Myrtle Beach and Branson and Pigeon Forge etc.?

Folks, I can get a great steak and watch an 3D IMAX Movie and visit an aquarium and drive a go-cart at the mall 20 minutes from my house.

If Disney Springs is more Springs than Disney it won't find space on my vacation plans.

I don't go to Las Vegas to see Mickey Mouse and I don't go Walt Disney World to see the same chains that have restaurants across the United States.

<end rant>
    I feel your pain. We loved Adventure's Club and went every trip. We have barely spent any time at all in DTD since it closed. We have gone down there to look at souvenirs at world of disney twice since then.

I agree with you on the dining as well and the other things they are putting in place. We go to the beach for great seafood and to ride go karts. In fact, we leave WDW for a day to go eat at a nice seafood restaurant on different beaches each time we go. We have local versions of pretty much every restaurant that are typically better, have more options and are better priced. We don't go to WDW to eat......we can do that any day, any time at home. Besides that, we despise being tied to dinner reservations and having to work our actual vacation time around them so we never make ADR's.

To each his own though, if someone enjoys going to WDW and going to "Signature" restaurants named after the latest famous chef or a Landry's with Dinosaurs screaming though your meal, knock yourself out. Doing what you enjoy is what a vacation is all about.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I'm intersted in any of it. We like Earl of Sandwich and that's about it. There's never enough park time and it takes to long to get there and back.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Earl of Sandwich is always a must do on my first night in WDW... I'm very much interested in how Disney Springs will look once completed... I'm interested in the expansion for World of Disney, as that is one store I do like to walk around it... I am not, however, interested in any of the other stuff they are putting in...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    The retail portion has seemed a little mall-ish so far, but The Edison and Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar are both poised to be unique, themed experiences. Personally, I'll be checking out both of these locations when they are open.

Some of the retail locations may also be more aimed at International Guests than Domestic. I've been amazed at how much our European and Asian customers will spend at my local suburban Mall when visiting my plant.
    Jason brings up an excellent point. I've read plenty of trip reports of people from other countries taking a day to go shopping at one of the malls in the area. Now they will be able to just take a Disney bus to go and shop.
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, this is a free area to enter. There is not a gate here. If you want some sort of totally unique Disney experience, you pay to pass a ticket gate and enjoy a theme park.

This is a location that gives a Disney themed area that is free to enjoy. While I may not visit the NBA Experience nor would I be able to afford a meal in the Boathouse, I like they are expanding the options there.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there on my last trip. To say that I was unimpressed would be putting it mildly.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Target Audience

Yes, Disney Springs is a free to enter area.

Is the target audience for DS WDW guests or Orlando residents and tourists not staying at WDW?

No matter. Every WDW guest shopping at DS at 9pm will make my WDW parks a little less crowded.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, i get there were always commercial places, it seems to be turning into a Mall of America type atmosphere. Before it seemed to be Disney, some places to augment. Now it seems to be other stuff, that happens to be at Disney. But, before some of places weren't that common. Trex, not many of them around. Places like ESPN zone to me are okay, b/c they themselves are kinda of a travel spot (I go to every ESPN zone I come across, and there aren't that many.

So many of the disney type stores are leaving. I'm down to the xmas store, animation, and the world of store.

Like someone said earlier, I see PF Changs or a Chilis and I'm done.

As for NBA. Well, glad to see DQ go. But, couldn't put something else DIsney in? Or at least something less specific than the NBA? Heck, even the NFL would have been better (course I hate basketball and the NBA).
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We were there earlier today, and I still have some mixed feelings. It isn't Disney, but it is really starting to be a neat place. Even early in the day, there were a fair number of people and a pretty good vibe. It does seem like there is a "Disney" side (the marketplace) and then the "rest", but that's OK too, you don't have to visit it all.

So, I'll wait and see how it all comes together, and what it feels like when it is all open, and I do like that some new things are coming, the restaurants are neat, and I never spent time at DTD before, so this is drawing me in, which is the point.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I mean there's going to be an attempt to keep people around there and spending money in whatever way they can. Disney Quest was a failure, Pleasure Island brought out an unwanted side of the local crowd, they had to tweak what they were doing down there. I think at the end it will be a slight upgrade, and the parking garage and exit off 4 going straight to it will be beneficial.

A unique bowling experience, signature dining, and new upscale shops. While it is not my thing at all, a lot of travelers like to do that kind of thing on vacation.

I live in Nashville which has a great amount of tourists, they often spend their time doing the hokey tourist things but that's just the nature of the average tourist. Disney Springs will be a little better at managing crowds and offer a lot of different options. Locals will be able to go out for their weekend fun, and you attract people who aren't necessarily going to the parks to the property. I don't think Disney needs to Disneyfy every aspect of the property, I spend little time at City Walk and maybe a smidgen more at DTD (DS) whatever but you by no means have to. If you're staying on property you're better served enjoying the offerings of the resorts or even the Boardwalk to walk and relax.
    "Those Who Stay Will Be Champions"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: