Quantcast Monorail accident as well yesterday [Nov 18th].

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monorail accident as well yesterday [Nov 18th].

Disney wasn't having a good day yesterday. At least no one was on board at the time!
    http://www.wesh.com/news/disney-mono...alted/36527276
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This whole monorial automation thing seems to be a bad idea. Brake sensors failing is a huge issue.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

The brake sensors did not fail. The monorail was being towed, and the hitch, or tow bar, between the monorail and the tow vehicle broke. Just like when an automobile is being towed, the motors would not be running, the brakes would be released, and the monorail would be "in neutral". When the hitch broke, the monorail continued forward by its own inertia and hit the tow vehicle.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    The brake sensors did not fail. The monorail was being towed, and the hitch, or tow bar, between the monorail and the tow vehicle broke. Just like when an automobile is being towed, the motors would not be running, the brakes would be released, and the monorail would be "in neutral". When the hitch broke, the monorail continued forward by its own inertia and hit the tow vehicle.
    But the question that needs asked was why was the Monorail being towed in the first place? Was it brakes?
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    But the question that needs asked was why was the Monorail being towed in the first place? Was it brakes?
    That part hasn't been divulged by Disney, and probably never will.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

That part hasn't been divulged by Disney, and probably never will.
    I would think that the NTSB and/or OSHA would compel an answer to be given, which would eventually be made public.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    I would think that the NTSB and/or OSHA would compel an answer to be given, which would eventually be made public.
    I doubt NTSB will get involved. Their website says "The National Transportation Safety Board was established in 1967 to conduct independent investigations of all civil aviation accidents in the United States and major accidents in the other modes of transportation. " This incident was clearly not a "major" accident. The train was carrying no passengers, the relatively minor damage was limited to the vehicles, and there were no injuries. There was no derailment or anything else that might have posed a danger to the public.

Same thing with OSHA. No indication of gross negligence, no injuries, property damage only, nothing to indicate violations of safety requirements.

To draw a parallel, neither agency gets involved when a city transit bus with no passengers and no injuries gets into a minor fender bender with another vehicle.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt NTSB will get involved. Their website says "The National Transportation Safety Board was established in 1967 to conduct independent investigations of all civil aviation accidents in the United States and major accidents in the other modes of transportation. " This incident was clearly not a "major" accident. The train was carrying no passengers, the relatively minor damage was limited to the vehicles, and there were no injuries. There was no derailment or anything else that might have posed a danger to the public.

Same thing with OSHA. No indication of gross negligence, no injuries, property damage only, nothing to indicate violations of safety requirements.

To draw a parallel, neither agency gets involved when a city transit bus with no passengers and no injuries gets into a minor fender bender with another vehicle.
    Yes thankfully it was not major and no one on board or hurt!
    I just hope when there are people sensory brakes don't default. I'm not a fan personally or relying on all of this new "let technology" do all the work without human involvement. Now of course there is always human error as well.
    I'm sure [or at least I hope] Disney will have a back up [human] system.
    I wonder if one day they will be completely pilot-less and fully automated. [Yikes!]

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    Yes thankfully it was not major and no one on board or hurt!
    I just hope when there are people sensory brakes don't default. I'm not a fan personally or relying on all of this new "let technology" do all the work without human involvement. Now of course there is always human error as well.
    I'm sure [or at least I hope] Disney will have a back up [human] system.
    I wonder if one day they will be completely pilot-less and fully automated. [Yikes!]
    Even though it makes us feel uncomfortable letting machines and computers be in control, the number one cause of automobile/transportation accidents is human error, lapse of judgment, attention etc.
    Driverless cars would be much safer, even if they do give us the creeps.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Even though it makes us feel uncomfortable letting machines and computers be in control, the number one cause of automobile/transportation accidents is human error, lapse of judgment, attention etc.
    That's true. Google's self driving cars have proven that they are better at avoiding obstacles in the road, particularly children.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    Have you ever noticed the drivers of the "monorails" at Orlando International Airport ? If you haven't, there's good reason for that - - there aren't any ! They are totally automated, and the only time they have had an accident was when a human was operating them in manual/maintenance mode.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever noticed the drivers of the "monorails" at Orlando International Airport ? If you haven't, there's good reason for that - - there aren't any ! They are totally automated, and the only time they have had an accident was when a human was operating them in manual/maintenance mode.
    The trains at the Atlanta airport are the same way. No drivers.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Not really a good comparison. First, not a monorail they are teams. But the most important difference in this discussion is that there are is only 1 vehicle per track. Thus, there is no need to maintain distances between trams which is the hardest thing to program. They just have to program to move and then a sensor to begin braking at the end

Also it's, pretty hard to have accidents when there is nothing else to hit. The only accident was when the train was being manually operated with a friend on board who shouldn't have been there.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    That is true.
    My fear is more irrational. I'm just a control freak! It's one reason I hate to fly. It's a phobia really. In my mind I think if I'm not actually driving or flying it then something could happen that no one else sees.
    I know! Totally irrational. But sometimes it's almost debilitating. I refuse to fly anymore. It's crazy :/

Yeah the tram at MCO does make me a bit nervous I won't lie. But knowing we can't crash into another vehicle helps.

Post Thanks / Like

During our stay in the past 2 weeks they have been doing scheduled maintenance to the monorail line from MK to Epcot. This was from about 3 to 6 PM. The final monorail run from Epcot at about 3 would head out to MK and be stopped at the Travel Center where you would have to get off and walk over to the ferry dock and take the ferry the rest of the way to MK. After all the CMs left the monorail the tow thingy would come out and get it and tow it out of the way for the work to be done to the rails. No bad brakes, no people on board.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the Vegas Monorail is human-less
    76 CR,80 Offsite,82 CR, 85 Offsite, 88/89 GF,
    91 Dolphin, 93 DxL,94 WL,94 POLY,
    97 Offsite, 99 CSR, 02 ASMo, 03/04 ASMo
    04 POR, 05 POR, 08 POR, 10 ASMu FS,
    12 ASMu FS, 14 ASMo,
    POR, 15 POR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: