Quantcast Planning a Fall 2016 trip and have several questions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning a Fall 2016 trip and have several questions

Does anyone know when they typically announce the free dining dates for the fall....if they even have it this year? We are planning a trip this fall. Had initially thought about 11/7 thru 11/18 however I found out that historically they have not offered the Free Dining for those dates if you are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We would be willing to move our dates up into September or October if it meant getting free dining however that will put us cutting it pretty short getting our ADR's, Fast Passes, Shows, etc. planned out.

My second question is......how would the crowd levels compare for September 5 thru 16th....vs....October 17th thru the 28th...vs....November 7th thru the 18th?

My third question is....is there any benefit...or disadvantage for one time frame over another one?

And my fourth question is....how does the weather compare for the three time frames listed above.

1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The free dining for fall is usually offered during April or May.

The last 2-3 yrs they've excluded POR from the free dining offer.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

As noted above it's been in April or May when that plan has been announced in the past. Generally under the 180 day window. It's often best to book with Magical Journeys now so that you can get your ADRs and FP done and then whatever discount is released, "free" dining or otherwise, they can update your reservation at no cost or hassle to you.

As for your other questions - crowds will be lowest in September. That's before the F&WF starts so crowds are generally not bad. October has become insanely crowded. November is still fairly crowded, especially since Veteran's Day and "Jersey Week" will fall into that timeframe but it's better than October. If "free" dining is the most important thing for you (and it's not always the best discount) then go with September.

Advantage of October - Halloween party and Food and Wine Festival. Disadvantage - big crowds. Advantage of September - Lower crowds (though no time is empty any more), and you might get the Halloween party during that time frame. Disadvantage - Weather and missing the other fun stuff
    Advantage of November - Better weather, slightly lower crowds than Oct, Christmas party Disadvantage - still good sized crowds, no F&WF

With your fourth question you've hit my specialty. :-) September weather - hot and humid as all get out with highs in the 90s. Especially with someone like you not used to the Deep South heat and humidity it could be pretty brutal. But there are strategies to deal with it. Peak hurricane season. Rain isn't a big deal but pop up thunderstorms do tend to form with the sea breeze each afternoon. They don't generally last more than an hour or so.

Late October - Still hurricane season, though the peak has passed. Still warm but not as horrible as September and earlier. Generally by late October you're looking at low 80s. Maybe even occasionally in the 70s. October tends to be pretty dry unless the occasional front moves through.

November - Hurricane season is not really an issue (though not impossible). Cooler temps with highs in the 60s or 70s (though even in November you can get mid 80s). You don't get the afternoon pop up storms but fronts are more common, usually pushing through every 3-4 days on average.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

5. Likes Genie1953 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a sneaking suspicion that there will not be a free dining offer this year.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

7. Likes Genie1953 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My DH and I went last September and the weather was in the 90's but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Granted we didn't go to any of the parks that trip, mostly hung out at the resort (CBR) and Disney Springs, restaurants, etc. The pool was a welcome break from the heat.

As far as crowds go it wasn't as bad as October crowds (it seems over the last several years October has become the most popular month and can get very crowded).

We did not have the free dining when we went in September because it was kind of a last minute trip and all the offers for that were taken. We did however book the bounce back offer before we left there for this October. I was thrilled to see that it was free dining but you had to check in by I believe it was October 1 so we booked for check in on October 1 through the 7th and were able to book 3 rooms. I am sure there won't be free dining much anymore now that attendance is much higher.

I am hoping that there will be another free dining bounce back when we go in October so I can book again for 2017. Keeping my fingers crossed as being a family of 6 it really saves us a lot of money when we can get free dining.

We also went the week before Thanksgiving November 2014 with free dining offer. It was pretty rainy and some days were cool. Attendance was average but not as bad as October.

I hope you can get in on a good offer, sometimes the room discount is a great deal to. Good luck and enjoy your trip!!
    OFFSITE 1975
    OFFSITE 1989
    CBR JUNE 2006
    CBR MAY 2007
    CBR OCT 2008-MNSSHP
    AS MOVIE APRIL 2009
    WILDERNESS LODGE DEC 2010-MVMCP
    CBR NOV 2011
    CBR OCT 2013-FREE DINING PIN!

CBR NOV 2014-FREE DINING
    CBR SEPT 2015
    CBR OCT 2016-FREE DINING BOUNCE BACK OFFER

9. Likes Genie1953 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    As noted above it's been in April or May when that plan has been announced in the past. Generally under the 180 day window. It's often best to book with Magical Journeys now so that you can get your ADRs and FP done and then whatever discount is released, "free" dining or otherwise, they can update your reservation at no cost or hassle to you.

As for your other questions - crowds will be lowest in September. That's before the F&WF starts so crowds are generally not bad. October has become insanely crowded. November is still fairly crowded, especially since Veteran's Day and "Jersey Week" will fall into that timeframe but it's better than October. If "free" dining is the most important thing for you (and it's not always the best discount) then go with September.

Advantage of October - Halloween party and Food and Wine Festival. Disadvantage - big crowds. Advantage of September - Lower crowds (though no time is empty any more), and you might get the Halloween party during that time frame. Disadvantage - Weather and missing the other fun stuff
    Advantage of November - Better weather, slightly lower crowds than Oct, Christmas party Disadvantage - still good sized crowds, no F&WF

With your fourth question you've hit my specialty. :-) September weather - hot and humid as all get out with highs in the 90s. Especially with someone like you not used to the Deep South heat and humidity it could be pretty brutal. But there are strategies to deal with it. Peak hurricane season. Rain isn't a big deal but pop up thunderstorms do tend to form with the sea breeze each afternoon. They don't generally last more than an hour or so.

Late October - Still hurricane season, though the peak has passed. Still warm but not as horrible as September and earlier. Generally by late October you're looking at low 80s. Maybe even occasionally in the 70s. October tends to be pretty dry unless the occasional front moves through.

November - Hurricane season is not really an issue (though not impossible). Cooler temps with highs in the 60s or 70s (though even in November you can get mid 80s). You don't get the afternoon pop up storms but fronts are more common, usually pushing through every 3-4 days on average.
    Agree with everything Chris says except you do get Food and Wine if you go the first half of the month. We are going down November 2-8 this year and F&WF will still be going on. Another bonus is NJ Teacher convention is November 10-11 this year, so we will miss most of our Jersey brethren !

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that there will not be a free dining offer this year.
    I think that is a distinct possibility as well.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

11. Likes Genie1953 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Agree with everything Chris says except you do get Food and Wine if you go the first half of the month. We are going down November 2-8 this year and F&WF will still be going on. Another bonus is NJ Teacher convention is November 10-11 this year, so we will miss most of our Jersey brethren !
    Thanks for the correction on that! I couldn't remember when the F&WF ended. I knew it was sometime early in Nov but not exactly when.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: