Quantcast Possibly moving to Florida questions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Possibly moving to Florida questions

My DH is retired and I am soon to be. The winters here in the north are just getting to us and we are thinking of a move to Florida. The goal is to move somewhere not to congested, possibly in a 55+ community and maybe work part time at WDW. Does anyone know of good areas for quick commutes to WDW?

Feb 26 - Mar 5, 2019 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept 13-19, 2015 at CBR
    Jan, 2011 - off site
    Jun 16-21, 2009, ASSports
    Dec. 7-13, 2008, Royal Plaza at DTD
    April 16-20, 2007 ASMusic
    Feb-Mar 2005 Off Site
    Oct. 1986 Ft. Wilderness 10th Anniv
    Oct. 1976 Honeymoon Off Site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

There are tons of 55+ communities in central FL. My parents retired 2 years ago and moved to Poinciana. They live in a community called Solivita and they love it. It is about 30-40 min from WDW.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

4. Thanks TheDuckRocks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilcat View Post
    My DH is retired and I am soon to be. The winters here in the north are just getting to us and we are thinking of a move to Florida. The goal is to move somewhere not to congested, possibly in a 55+ community and maybe work part time at WDW. Does anyone know of good areas for quick commutes to WDW?
    Of course budget will make a difference. On the north side of Disney property there are some wonderful areas of Windermere and Winter Garden that are very close to the rear cast member entrance but I don't know of any communities here specifically designed for 55+. Clermont has some 55+ communities and has the only real 'hills' in central Florida if that appeals to them. On the southern side of Disney property, Kissimmee, Davenport and Poinciana areas all have 55+ communities. Windermere is the most expensive of those, Winter Garden/Clermont are somewhere in the middle and Kissimmee/Poinciana/Davenport generally tend to be the least expensive for a number of reasons.

6. Thanks TheDuckRocks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a resident of Solivita for 5 years, I can vouch for the recommendation of BrerGnat regarding the community and location. We have numerous community members working as cast members (as I was for a while), and access to Disney is fairly easy. There is a large contingent of PA natives here, and many social clubs to make the transition very pleasant.

The community offers a wide variety of home styles and pricing structures. The builder is AV Homes, and offers exploration days at a very attractive price, if you choose to spend a few days getting familiar with the area and community.

We moved from Wisconsin, purchasing an existing home through a realtor and had a great experience.

There are many ways to access any information you may need regarding Solivita, including anything I can help with. Hope your decision becomes as easy and positive as ours was.

8. Thanks TheDuckRocks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was so happy I remembered this post. My DH has recently retired and we are very much thinking of moving south to get out of the cold and snowy winters. Even though we love WDW it has only recently occurred to us that Florida might be an option for us..........duh! No state income tax, WDW in your backyard, sunny weather more often than where we now live and an area that is used to dealing with old folks that are not so old that they want to sit in a nursing home. Thanks for all your input. I have taken notes and will be doing a lot of research.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

There is the Dell Webb community in Davenport, off of Hwy 27. It's about a 10 minute drive to I4. Publix is close by as well as Posner Park. Posner Park is an outdoor type mall. Has Target, Best Buy, Michaels, JCP and a lot of other shops. Disney is about 10 minutes from where you get on I4.

I'm in Davenport, 5 miles north of the I4 in the four corners area.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: