Quantcast Disability Access Service (DAS) Guidelines

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

If i am understanding this right. You would go to a ride and they assign you a time to come back with the DAS. When you have a child or,adult with Autism or high aniexty not getting on the ride will set the person off . With a child with autism they think they are going on the ride then you have to come back in 20 min or more.
    How can this be prevented?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jusandnew View Post
    If i am understanding this right. You would go to a ride and they assign you a time to come back with the DAS. When you have a child or,adult with Autism or high aniexty not getting on the ride will set the person off . With a child with autism they think they are going on the ride then you have to come back in 20 min or more.
    How can this be prevented?
    You explain to the child or adult what is going to happen. Many kids with autism are capable of understanding more than they are given credit for. At the very basic level, you could create a social story explaining the process, or use PECS for non verbal kids. My son with autism had limited speech when he was younger but he was able to understand the DAS process using "first this, then that" style explanations. First we get a return time, then we come back when the timer buzzes (I would always set a timer on my cell phone and give him updates every 5 minutes). Then we would either choose to wait standby for a short line attraction, go get a snack somewhere quiet, or go look in a gift shop. He very quickly caught on that getting a return time meant we ride a little while later. No issues at all.

However, it is worth noting that the DAS holder does NOT have to be present when getting a return time. So if there is more than one adult, have one stay somewhere else with the child while the other gets the return time.

However, it behooves you to teach the DAS holder flexibility and have them learn by repetition how the process works so they will be more comfortable with it. My son used to completely panic when he saw a long line at a ride he really wanted to go on and would assume that meant we were going to skip it. Now HE tells me, "let's get a return time and ride later."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used this service before, but I have had some major medical issues in the past year to where I may need this service. I can walk, but standing in long lines will cause me major pain. What is the criteria they require? Do I have to tell them the specific issue? I don't need a wheelchair.

'83~Off
    '91~Off
    '93~Off
    '96~Off
    '97~Off
    '99~Off
    '00~Contemporary/Disney Magic (Jul)
    '00~WL (Dec)
    '01~Off
    '02~POR
    '03~Disney Wonder/AKL (Aug)
    '03~WL(Dec)
    '04~Saratoga
    '05~Polynesian (Apr)
    '05~Pop (Sep)
    '06~POR FQ
    '14-Pop
    '16~Off (March)
    '16~ASMusic (Aug)
    '17~Off'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honeybear View Post
    I have never used this service before, but I have had some major medical issues in the past year to where I may need this service. I can walk, but standing in long lines will cause me major pain. What is the criteria they require? Do I have to tell them the specific issue? I don't need a wheelchair.
    You don't need medical documentation (for legal reasons Disney can't ask for that type of information), but you can explain your situation to them and they will make accommodations accordingly. For what it's worth however, in your case if you can't stand for long periods of time they will almost certainly suggest that you rent a wheelchair or scooter, they're unlikely to issue you a DAS pass.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: