Quantcast Tropical Storms Bonnie and Charley - Page 11

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by KYmouse:
    Once again, it there only ONE web-cam?

Does anyone have a picture of the Castle Today?
    That is a weather cam from weatherbug.

Disney did away with their web cams a few years ago.

The castle can be seen in the background in the photo on ICOT's front page.

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

[ August 14, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by J9:
    PS - Keep my pop pop in your prayers. He was rushed to the hospital two nights ago with a galbadder attach and a small aneurism in his aorta. He's in surgery RIGHT NOW in Philly and we're waiting for word. we're upset because we can't get out of here right now.
    Your dad (and all of you) will be in our prayers.

Post Thanks / Like

From the ORlando Sentinel

Parks clear out ahead of storm

The scene was the same at hotels throughout Central Florida as the hurricane passed over the region's billion-dollar theme parks. Lobbies, ballrooms and hallways were crowded with people, many of whom were experiencing their first hurricane.

At the Wellesley Inn on U.S. Highway 192 in Osceola County, some visitors huddled in a hallway, held hands and prayed while in another hallway someone played cards.

At the Peabody Orlando on International Drive, the loudest wind came about 8:30 p.m. and blew through the front door; security sealed if off. During the next hour rain pounded, with water from the leaking ceiling collecting in bins. From a distance there appeared to be no damage to the Orange County Convention Center across International Drive, but the dark and rain prevented a good look.

Several miles away at the Grosvenor Resort at Walt Disney World, hundreds of guests milled about, and employees sent them to the windowless ballroom for safety just before 9 p.m. Lobby windows were leaking.

By 9:40 p.m. winds seemed to subside, but people were still in the ballroom, on cots or spread out on blankets.

At the All Star Resorts at Walt Disney World, winds howled just before 9 p.m., palm trees bent nearly to the ground and rain sheets were nearly horizontal. The pool overflowed. People hunkered down inside rooms.

Before the brunt of the storm hit, tourists tried to make the best of a bad day.

"I wasn't really expecting this to happen," said Joe Centeno of Chicago, who was visiting Universal's Islands of Adventure with his wife, Nelly, and 10-year-old son, Giovanni. "No sooner did we get there than here comes Charley."

Centeno lived in Puerto Rico as a child and said he saw what hurricanes can do. But he said he felt safe in Orlando with his family's plans to ride out the storm in a nearby Wyndham hotel.

At Disney's Magic Kingdom, Main Street was eerily quiet by 1:30 p.m. as some of the last visitors to leave noted the surreal scene as Beauty and the Beast characters sang on the steps of Cinderella Castle.

"You'd never expect this to be happening," said Jorge Preisser, visiting with his family from Mexico. "To be the last one to go out is strange."

Gas lamplights on Main Street were lashed to their poles and refreshment carts were tied down -- some of the few visible signs of storm preparation. Trolley cars were parked beneath the train station at the park's Main Street exit as the crowds dwindled.

SeaWorld moved its animals, including horses and birds, to barns and other indoor locations. Special teams of employees were stationed at all the major parks to keep an eye on property.

Smaller attractions shut down early, too, though some stayed open as long as customers were willing to brave the threatening skies. The first squalls sent people packing.

"There's no one here," said Fun Spot amusement park marketing manager Mark Brisson at 3:30 p.m. as the attraction closed. "We're only closing for lack of business," he said. But the small park planned to reopen at 10 a.m. today, weather permitting.

Many tourists were shoulder to shoulder with evacuees from Florida's west coast. Tim and Kim Cantwell and their 16-year-old son, Garrett, came to Disney's Polynesian Resort on Thursday because their St. Petersburg Beach hotel was evacuated.

The family, from Hudson, Ohio, had been at the Don CeSar Beach Resort, but the hotel was closed in advance of the storm. Kim Cantwell said they had thought about getting in a rental car and trying to outrun the storm northward. But then they realized they would have been sandwiched between Hurricane Charley and Tropical Storm Bonnie, which blew across North Florida on Thursday.

Samantha Dubin and Daniel Kosta, who fled their home half a block from Tampa Bay to stay in Disney's Polynesian, were assured by employees that the 33-year-old hotel was sturdy enough to weather a hurricane, with concrete-and-steel construction, backup generators and water.

"We had expected a real buzz and a sense of pandemonium, but it's real calm here," Dubin said.

Some tourists said they thought Disney and other theme parks could have stayed open longer.

"I didn't think they needed to close so early," said Carol Rorkeof Bricktown, N.J., who had flown in Thursday with her daughter, sister and niece. "It was still sunny when we left."

The last time the three major parks closed for a storm was in 1999, when Hurricane Floyd threw a scare into the region before veering away from the East Coast at the last moment.

Jack McCabe and 15 family members from Long Island, N.Y., were stuck at the Doubletree Castle on International Drive in south Orlando when Amtrak's Auto Train service was suspended.

They lounged in the lobby and played cards. Near the front desk is a jeweled statue called "The Castle Creature, a Friend and Protector." Guests hoped that its protection would work -- on a Friday the 13th, no less.

The Doubletree's cafe and bar stayed open late into the evening. The cafe printed a Hurricane Charley menu complete with Hail Mary Caesar Salad, Eye of the Storm Chicken, and a Category 2 Ham and Cheese that could have been upgraded to a Category 4.
    ~~Barb~~
    AKL Jambo House - 3/31/12 - 4/8/12
    BWV - 10/07
    BCV - 11/30 - 12/10/04
    BCV - 12/03 (Christmas at WDW)
    Contemp - 10/98
    Contemp - 12/97

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting!!! Thanks for the update!
    [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] What are some of the specific "safe-guards" Disney has in place (by policy / prodedure ) for severe weather? SM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barb_A:
    [qb] From the ORlando Sentinel

[i] Parks clear out ahead of storm

The scene was the same at hotels throughout Central Florida as the hurricane passed over the region's billion-dollar theme parks. Lobbies, ballrooms and hallways were crowded with people, many of whom were experiencing their first hurricane..........................

[ August 14, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: KYmouse ]

Post Thanks / Like

Wind and rain have picked back up. We're getting much more of the howling noises that we've been used to with hurricanes. Gusts are up to 60 now in the treetops, and wind is blowind every which-way again. I think we're getting the eye-wall now. Think I'd better get back downstairs now.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you??????

Originally posted by drummerboy:
    Wind and rain have picked back up. We're getting much more of the howling noises that we've been used to with hurricanes. Gusts are up to 60 now in the treetops, and wind is blowind every which-way again. I think we're getting the eye-wall now. Think I'd better get back downstairs now.

Post Thanks / Like

drummerboy is in southern NC right on the NC/SC line.
    Melanie aka Melanears ºOº

Post Thanks / Like

Just heard Orlando Mayor Dyer interviewed on Fox News. Mayor Dyer said he expects it could take 2-3 days to restore ALL power to Orlando. He said about 5 minutes ago he witnessed a telephone pole fall over with a live wire and ignite a tree. So, continue to be safe out there everyone!!!

I see that Osceola County is listed as one of the hardest hit. Am I wrong or is that the County the All Star Resorts are in???

Very happy to continue hearing from folks one by one. Prayers to you in NC, VA, etc. still waiting for Charley to pass through. Hold on and be SAFE.

I have been trying to call the Red Cross' 800 donation number for some time and still cannot get through. Hopefully this means lots of donations are coming forward for Florida. I'll keep trying until I can get through by phone or website. EDIT: I finally got through!! I'm on hold now.

For those of you still trying to reach family and friends in Charley's past, present or future path, my sincere prayers are with you. I pray you are in contact soon and hear that all is well and good with your friends and loved ones.

[ August 14, 2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Donalds Duckie ]
    Nancy

DL - May 6-9, 2012
    DL - July 19-23, 2012
    CBR - Sept. 1-9, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Sept. 29-Oct. 11, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Dec. 8-17, 2012

Feb. 3-5, 2013 - AoA Cars - Anniversary
    Feb. 5-9, 2013 - The Poly - Anniversary
    Feb. 23-Mar. 1 - 2013 - Disney Magic - DH's 60th BDay

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Take care Mel & drummerboy! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Mary

Been there, done that, definitely going back!

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

I'm glad to see that everyone in Florida is doing okay. I hope any damage isn't too bad...at least everyone survived.

My prayers are now out to those of you in the Carolinas getting hit or soon to get hit by Charley....good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I just found out that my family in Fort Myers is ok. They had no damage to the house, some trees down, garden messed up and no power but everyone is ok. [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]
    Funny thing is I had talk to my Aunt about hurricanes before and she mentioned how Fort Myers doesn't get too many, I bet she's rethinking this now.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

DRUMMERBOY, ARE YOU THERE? (I suspect he is without power now, but hopefully safe! ) Good luck and Godspeed to all, KY

Originally posted by Melanears:
    drummerboy is in southern NC right on the NC/SC line.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by KYmouse:
    I just checked the web-cam and am glad to see SE "alive and well".
    (http://www.aws.com/wxcomm/commercial...id=LKBNV&siz=l )

Is this the only web-cam for WDW? Specifically, what other types of damage did WDW sustain?
    Does Disney purposely "mute" pictures of damage? I understand that could tarnish the "always perfect image" they strive to obtain, but I am interested in the status of "The best place on Earth"!!!
    Hope everyone is well and safe. Thanks to all of those who have gone to work today to secure WDW , when I know you have your own concerns at home. [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    It's not actually a webcam for WDW; it's a weather webcam. WDW disabled all their webcams a while back.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all that were in the path of Charley.

DS (9) was scared when he learned yesterday that the path was heading to Orlando and WDW was mentioned on the news. We are glad that WDW seems to have come out okay, but saddened by all the destruction that has happened in Florida. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by bradleysnana:
    I wonder if the reason that Animal Kingdom is closed because of all the tress possibly being down. That could be a major clean up job.
    We tried really hard to get the park open for guests today, but there was just too much cleanup to do. There is no major structural damage, but Charley did a lot of damage to the trees and other vegetation. There are a lot of trees down, including some very large ones. Also many downed or damaged branches. The streets and pathways were covered with tons of debris. The safari ride path was blocked by debris. The flume at Kali River Rapids was full of downed vegetation, including trees and large branches. Two giant trees are down along the Jungle Trek. The Wildlife Express train tracks are blocked.

I haven't heard of any injuries to CMs or to any of the animals. Looks like we all came through it okay.

I would expect the park to open tomorrow unless they have trouble removing the larger downed trees overnight. The other parks were able to open today because they have far fewer trees.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    Thank you very much for the information.
    Nana to Brad, Alex, Dustin and Connor

Post Thanks / Like

Ron based on your information could this be why guest are not being allowed back into FW dued to the fact there are a lot of trees in FW and there very well may be some damage to the cabins as well as other campsites.
    Hugpug

Have stayed at FW,ASM,POP,WL,CS,POR,POFQ,CB,POLY,Grovesnor,Offsit e over the years past. LOVED THEM ALL

Post Thanks / Like

Very brief report... operating on laptop battery... no electric since 8 last night...

WDW fared pretty well, but airport area got clobbered! Lots of damage at the airport including two HUGE plate glass windows shattered, drenching one of the security checkpoints and all its equipment.... Comair's hangar was destroyed.... one jetway bent into a 90 degree angle... Major damage throughout my town... But we only had relatively light damage and THANK GOD no injuries.

More when I get power back.
    ________
    buy vapor genie
    Last edited by Ed; 01-18-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for checking in Ed.
    Frankie #1440

INTERCOT Staff

Every day there is sad news, but each day itself is glad news.----Found in fortune cookie at Nine Dragons Restaurant in Epcot while having lunch during INTERCOT's 10th Anniversary Meet

But If Not

Post Thanks / Like

Ed, Thanks for letting us know you are ok. [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]
    Nana to Brad, Alex, Dustin and Connor

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: