Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Well yeah, but that's my personal choice. I was obviously speaking from the bottom line, but the value proposition is still identical because by staying in the 1BR I'm taking advantage of more luxurious and, thereforce, higher dollar value accomodations.

Just for FYI purposes, a 1BR at Saratoga currently goes for around $500 a night so even at $105 a day or whatever I'm still OBVIOUSLY getting a great value.

And again ... the rate of increase of the dues is irrelevant as long as it outpaces the rate of inflation. In 1974 the cost of a night's stay at the Contemporary was about $30 a night. Now it's about $400 a night. That's an increase of about 1,233.33% over the last 35 years.

Assuming your DVC dues were the same $30 and that they increased by 3.5% a year over that same time period you'd only be up to about $103.50 per night.

Pretty significant difference, eh?
Um, yeah, okay...

You really didn't buy that "1,233% increase" line from your DVC salesman, did you? It's really pretty simple to do the math yourself - I'll help you:

The cost of a night's stay at the Contemporary increased 6.8% annually over those 35 years.

I have no idea what the price of a night at the Contemporary was in 1974, so I'll accept your $30.00 starting point. A quick search of some travel sites, using some random dates and - voila! - The Contemporary for $299.00 / night. Use a simple present value formula and solve the rate...6.8%

To your other points - I can get in to Saratoga for about $180 - 200 per night by renting some of the many available DVC points. $200 - not $500.

The rate of increase of the dues is relevant because, well, this is a thread about the increase in dues...

As an aside - did your salesman also tell you about the 400 gajillion% increase in the price of an AK ticket? He should have - it's in their script.

But anyway...when this kind of misleading, incorrect and blatantly wrong information is presented...well, it's just a shame that some people might actually believe it.