Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Hotels to Institute Smoke-Free Policy June 1, 2007 - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mariașoș View Post
    Think about single parents who requested Smoking Rooms or even Non-smoking Rooms, but are now unable to go out onto their balcony or just out the front door to have a cigarette while their children are sleeping. They will have to leave their children alone in the room to go to a DSA. Umm, news of pedophiles do not comfort me in leaving children alone in the room. Single women...will they now have to walk alone to a dark, secluded area to smoke? Not good. How about disabled people that booked a smoking room how far will they have to go from their room to a DSA. From what I'm understanding...there will be at least one DSA at each building, some will have two. Mainly located in courtyards and/or at the ends of buildings, but I still don't like the fact that you'll have to leave the comfort and safety of your room where you have the smoke contained in one area. Not too sure how all of this will pan out...

Just a thought... Maybe Disney could have a new "room request" for smokers to be close to the DSA. Non-smokers could request rooms that
    are further from them.... Any thoughts????

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlml86 View Post
    Just a thought... Maybe Disney could have a new "room request" for smokers to be close to the DSA. Non-smokers could request rooms that
    are further from them.... Any thoughts????

From what I'm understanding from the emails I have received from Disney as well as speaking with a few of the Managers, smokers will definitely be allowed to request rooms close to DSA's. I've been told that there will be at least one DSA for each building some buildings will have two DSA's. For the most part they will be located in courtyards and some at the ends of buildings. There may also be a DSA located near the poolside bars. As long as our family is able to get a room that's basically right outside our door in the courtyards we won't have problems, but our family will have problems if we have to walk 10-20 minutes away (will not be fun after walking all day in the parks), to dark secluded area's (safety issues for single women) and not able to see our room doors (safety issues for leaving children alone in the room).

I would have loved to have seen either: one building at each resort smoking optional or just one resort out of all resorts available to book made into a smoking optional resort. It could have been one of the smaller resorts that don't have the occupancy rate as other resorts. Even though I don't like POFQ this one would have been perfect to make into a smoking optional and have all other resorts non-smoking period. No issues with DSA's, dark secluded area's or leaving children alone in rooms.

Post Thanks / Like

I am allergic to cigarette smoke so I welcome this news
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Default I smoke.

I smoke. I don't want to smoke around you or your family. I don't want to smoke in a non-smoking room. I don't want you to have to smell my smoke or be inconvenienced to avoid the areas in which I smoke.

But, I smoke.

So put me in a building that is smokers only, make me pay extra for a special room location that allows balcony smoking, make it easy for me to book a room with easy access to the smoking areas.

Don't just abandon me, I love Disney and really enjoy our yearly trips. I respect the rights of others that don't want to be around smoke or smokers.*

But, I smoke. (wish I didn't)

Post Thanks / Like

***DISCLAIMER*** Since I know some emotions have run high, take this as the tounge in cheek comment it is intended to be, although...

How about WDW sells the nicotine patch shaped like a MICKEY HEAD!!!!!

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who does smoke now and then, I do not see an issue with this. I hate smoking rooms at hotels. They reek. I never smoke inside when I do smoke anyway. So for me, this is not an issue.

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    ***DISCLAIMER*** Since I know some emotions have run high, take this as the tounge in cheek comment it is intended to be, although...

How about WDW sells the nicotine patch shaped like a MICKEY HEAD!!!!!

Entrepreneur! I love it. GREAT idea!
    My uncle smoked for 30 years! He was on the patch for 2 weeks...That was it!!! Smoke free for 4 years now.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

This is great since I have allergies and Asthma and is extremly sensitive to smoke. I hope they enforce this because in the parks I have seen and smelt people light in a ride line.
    [*]2013 POR[*]2012 Swan / AKL[*]2011 POFQ[*]2009 AS MUSIC FAMILY SUITE[*]2008 POFQ[*]2007 POLY/ POFQ[*]2006 AS MUSIC[*]2005 AS MOVIES[*]2004 POP CENTURY[*]2003 AS MOVIES[*]2000 POFQ / 3 DAYS ON WONDER[*]1998 AS MUSIC[*]2 off site trips in High School[/LIST]

Post Thanks / Like

Hidden Mickey Nicotine Patch

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    Entrepreneur! I love it. GREAT idea!
    My uncle smoked for 30 years! He was on the patch for 2 weeks...That was it!!! Smoke free for 4 years now.
    It is a great idea. Get the Pharma company to donate a bunch as free marketing. This could also provide a nice way for CM's to tell people they are smoking in a non-smoking area. They can carry little business cards that say "No smoking in this area" (in about 5 languages) and on the back is a coupon for a patch or some other nicotine product...
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone been there yet?

Has anyone been there yet,since June 1, to see how it is being put into effect? How is it working? Is it the same at all of the resorts? I truely hope it will work out for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the updated map of the Port Orleans resort and it looks like there are plenty of locations - 8 at POFQ and 14 at POR - although they aren't evenly spaced out. The map also now included the location of the DVC desk and the DME bus stop. There are a couple of locations that don't quite make much sense to me, namely the ones right outside of the doors of the main buildings that house the food courts and gift shops - 2 at POFQ and 3 at POR. I'm hoping the maps are just a little off and there is plenty of area to walk through that is smoke-free.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

It makes sense, even to a smoker like me. I don't need a smoking room, but let's be real, we know this rule will not be followed. I have no problem going outside, away from a door. But people like me are few and far between. As far as rooms, maybe they should keep a few for smokers, in one small area of each resort, just so the die hard smokers will not break the rule. I have not been to the resort for 7 years, and planing a trip, smoke free or not, I will go. as long as I can smoke from time to time outside.

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

We still haven't heard from anyone who has been to the resorts to see how it's being enforced. We are staying at WL in August and in viewing the new map on line there are only 3 designated smoking areas in the entire resort....that is rediculous....some resorts have 10+....

I'm sad! This really impacts my joy of anticipation of the trip...I'm more worried about how I will deal with the no smoking in my room!
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

sly1 Guest

Well I just got back from WDW a few days ago. Stayed at SSR and visited a few other resorts while I was there. Just as I had expected the rule is a complete joke. Everyone is informed of the policy at check in and there is supposed to be a $250 charge for smoking. There were people smoking on balconies every day we were there (they try to kind of hide the cigarette while smoking) . They placed ash trays next to the entrance to every resort and that is a smoking area so now you have to walk through a cloud of smoke everytime you leave or enter (they smoke before they go up to their rooms). I had never seen so many people walking about smoking at WDW before this trip. They smoked walking to from bus stops at the parks and resorts. I even saw more people walking about magic kingdom smoking this time. I had to breath and smell more smoke this time than ever. It really annoyed me. They pass these rules and then do nothing to enforce them. There were also kids with those stupid heely shoes with the wheels rolling everywhere bumping into people. I just can't believe people allow their children to wear those shoes to the crowded parks. Don't get me wrong we had a wonderful time but it annoyed me knowing that disney had put these rules in place and the CM's just ignore everyone breaking them. IMO the smoking rule has made it worse. There is smoking everywhere now where we have to breathe and smell it.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am confronted with smoking in a non-smoking area, I always confront the smoker. As a matter of fact, the non-smoking rule in the WDW themeparks was an important reason for me to stop smoking 6 years ago. And I was a HEAVY smoker.
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sly1 View Post
    Well I just got back from WDW a few days ago. Stayed at SSR and visited a few other resorts while I was there. Just as I had expected the rule is a complete joke. Everyone is informed of the policy at check in and there is supposed to be a $250 charge for smoking. There were people smoking on balconies every day we were there (they try to kind of hide the cigarette while smoking) . They placed ash trays next to the entrance to every resort and that is a smoking area so now you have to walk through a cloud of smoke everytime you leave or enter (they smoke before they go up to their rooms). I had never seen so many people walking about smoking at WDW before this trip. They smoked walking to from bus stops at the parks and resorts. I even saw more people walking about magic kingdom smoking this time. I had to breath and smell more smoke this time than ever. It really annoyed me. They pass these rules and then do nothing to enforce them. There were also kids with those stupid heely shoes with the wheels rolling everywhere bumping into people. I just can't believe people allow their children to wear those shoes to the crowded parks. Don't get me wrong we had a wonderful time but it annoyed me knowing that disney had put these rules in place and the CM's just ignore everyone breaking them. IMO the smoking rule has made it worse. There is smoking everywhere now where we have to breathe and smell it.
    Just another reason that in the near future smoking should be banned on Disney property. IMHO, Within a couple of years ALL of Disney WILL be smoke free. It only makes sense.

sly1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    Just another reason that in the near future smoking should be banned on Disney property. IMHO, Within a couple of years ALL of Disney WILL be smoke free. It only makes sense.
    "ALL of Disney WILL be smoke free" LOL They don't enforce the rules in place now. A ban on smoking for the entire property would be impossible to enforce. I have no doubt they will probably go this route but it is more of a publicity stunt than anything.

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sly1 View Post
    "ALL of Disney WILL be smoke free" LOL They don't enforce the rules in place now. A ban on smoking for the entire property would be impossible to enforce. I have no doubt they will probably go this route but it is more of a publicity stunt than anything.
    I think it would be easier to enforce than the situation at the resorts. Smoking is allowed at Disney parks in certain areas and also at the resorts. If/when its banned all together i actually think it would be easier to enforce. Kings Island theme park in Ohio has been smoke free for 2 years now and there isnt any issues. Allowing smoking here and there is bound to create problems. If it was simply not allowed at all i really dont thing there would be many issues crop up. That will be a subject for the future, I think it is approching fast though.

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Wow, a heated issue here. As I mostly lurk in the Character Forums, I may not see any responses to my post but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

::inhales:: Okay, as a CM working resorts, specifically a Value one, hopefully I can offer some additional insight to this situation.

We've covered the basics of what the policy entails. If a Guest is seen smoking outside of a smoking area, we are required to inform them of the policy, remind them of the $250-$500 fine and then ensure they put out their cigs, and watch to make sure they don't light up again once they walk away a bit.

Also, there is a a difference between a DSA and a EXTINGUISHING point. The ones that are mounted on the walls of buildings are extinguishing points, meaning those coming in from the parking lots must have their cigs out at that point. They cannot stand there and smoke and they will be penalized if they are caught. The ones with the stands are DSAs, usually located near the main lobby, there should be ones near the pools (not at the pools or bar but close) as well as each of the buildings.

The penalty is $250-$500, and it varies by the type of offense, not the resort. Outside of a smoking area is the lower area while smoking in the rooms will be the higher range. This is determined if housekeeping smells it when they walk in the room. As for those wanting to smoke outside their rooms, well, when someone walks by your room, it will also only take about 2 seconds to look at the room number. Smoking on the balcony will travel to nearby areas, including those above you (smoke rises, which is why you are supposed to crawl when in room on fire....) and this is why smoking has been banned on the balconies as well.

The fine cannot be paid upfront. It's not like you can pay a cop $200 and say, "I want to go 100 MPH while driving so here, we're good to go." No, it doesn't work like that. And repeat offenses will result in ejection from the resort as well.

As for establishing Smoker's Only resorts....less than 3% of Disney's guests request smoking rooms. If that's a daily number, then it would only be around 300-400 guests a day. Meaning financially, it would cost more to have that resort open that to offer it for smokers, unless you were willing to pay DVC type prices without the benefits. Which, as for DVC members, yes you may own the points but Disney offers it to you and I believe in the contract it states that they reserve the right to terminate the contract at any time for abuse, etc if I am not mistaken? But I might be wrong on that...haven't looked over it in some time.

The same would be said for keeping some rooms and having them available for Smokers. That would be less rooms they can rent for Guests because one week they may have only a few families of smokers while others they are full, whereas now they can book 100% of the rooms and have both smokers and non-smokers.

I am a CM and I am extremely sensative to smoke and perfumes (and please, don't even mention Voban....). I have walked away from guests who wear too much perfume or cologone. It's not me being rude, it's you smelling and nearly killing me. I love my job with a passion, but I am not ready to die for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Also, there is a a difference between a DSA and a EXTINGUISHING point. The ones that are mounted on the walls of buildings are extinguishing points, meaning those coming in from the parking lots must have their cigs out at that point. They cannot stand there and smoke and they will be penalized if they are caught. The ones with the stands are DSAs, usually located near the main lobby, there should be ones near the pools (not at the pools or bar but close) as well as each of the buildings.

Thanks for the info. I knew there was no way that an entrance was a designated smoking area. Obviously, if you can't smoke in the lobby, WDW doesn't really want a pile of butts outside the door.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: