Quantcast Magic Kingdom & Disneyland to Alter Memorable Scene of Pirates of the Caribbean

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the thing...this ride is already a VERY loose interpretation of "The Pirate Life."

It is not meant to be taken seriously. It never was.

This bride auction scene is already basically a joke. In real life, pirates just kidnapped and assaulted women willy nilly. There was no organized auction in the town square.

This ride was always meant to be a "light hearted" look into piracy, even though we all know, as adults, how terrible it really was (and still is).

My biggest issue here is that Disney seems to be defaulting to "let's not offend anyone ever," rather than allowing parents to discuss these kinds of historical facts with their kids when the kids are old enough to notice it. Erasing everything that is offensive is not a good way to educate people going forward.

On a sort of related subject...why can't parents just let kids be innocent anymore? This seemingly bothers parents who feel that they shouldn't have to explain human trafficking to their kindergartner at WDW. Then don't! Seriously, let them ride pirates and let it go over their heads, like it did for millions of other kids. When they are adults they will figure it out and realize they enjoyed the ride as kids and had NO IDEA about any of this "dark matter." All I remember as a kid is how much I LOVED the song and how cool that fire scene looked. My kids have ridden it and I certainly haven't piped up afterwards and said, "weren't you horrified to see such violence and horrible mistreatment of women? You know that bride auction scene is a demonstration of human trafficking. How does that make you feel?"

Seriously. Kids don't know any better. And adults should know enough to just accept it for what it is...a THEME PARK RIDE, not a political commentary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Here's the thing...this ride is already a VERY loose interpretation of "The Pirate Life."

It is not meant to be taken seriously. It never was.

This bride auction scene is already basically a joke. In real life, pirates just kidnapped and assaulted women willy nilly. There was no organized auction in the town square.

This ride was always meant to be a "light hearted" look into piracy, even though we all know, as adults, how terrible it really was (and still is).

My biggest issue here is that Disney seems to be defaulting to "let's not offend anyone ever," rather than allowing parents to discuss these kinds of historical facts with their kids when the kids are old enough to notice it. Erasing everything that is offensive is not a good way to educate people going forward.

On a sort of related subject...why can't parents just let kids be innocent anymore? This seemingly bothers parents who feel that they shouldn't have to explain human trafficking to their kindergartner at WDW. Then don't! Seriously, let them ride pirates and let it go over their heads, like it did for millions of other kids. When they are adults they will figure it out and realize they enjoyed the ride as kids and had NO IDEA about any of this "dark matter." All I remember as a kid is how much I LOVED the song and how cool that fire scene looked. My kids have ridden it and I certainly haven't piped up afterwards and said, "weren't you horrified to see such violence and horrible mistreatment of women? You know that bride auction scene is a demonstration of human trafficking. How does that make you feel?"

Seriously. Kids don't know any better. And adults should know enough to just accept it for what it is...a THEME PARK RIDE, not a political commentary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yeah, explaining all the intricacies of Aladdin must kill some parents. Along w/ Splash Mountain (song of the south), Country Bear, and the murder in Haunted Mansion. Do they need to purge the voices and songs from South, pretty much nothing from CB can exist, and remove all of the murder from HM. Yeap, sounds like a blast to me.

While freshening up things is necessary, keeping some aspects of nostalgia are also necessary. At least for me, to keep coming back. If totally different, I see it as a break for me to go check out other offerings. B/c of so many moves, similar to this, is why we are considering an all Universal/Seaworld vacation. I see less of an anchoring me to what I am familiar with that creates sentimental nostalgic feelings, and thus makes me think, "what else is out there." I dont know if that makes sense to anyone else?
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

3. Thanks njespers thanked for this post
    Likes njespers, Park Hopper, MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post

While freshening up things is necessary, keeping some aspects of nostalgia are also necessary. At least for me, to keep coming back. If totally different, I see it as a break for me to go check out other offerings. B/c of so many moves, similar to this, is why we are considering an all Universal/Seaworld vacation. I see less of an anchoring me to what I am familiar with that creates sentimental nostalgic feelings, and thus makes me think, "what else is out there." I dont know if that makes sense to anyone else?
    I am right there with you.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a lot to add here from me ... I echo John's sentiments and actually feel like Natalie really hit the nail on the head with her post.

I'd also like to know why it's perfectly acceptable to water board the mayor in the second scene but not to auction off the redhead in the third?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

6. Likes MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not a lot to add here from me ... I echo John's sentiments and actually feel like Natalie really hit the nail on the head with her post.

I'd also like to know why it's perfectly acceptable to water board the mayor in the second scene but not to auction off the redhead in the third?
    Waterboarding is not torture.

Also, I don't agree putting Jack in the ride was a great move. I would have preferred creating a ride based on the new POTC movies, Like POTC the adventure continues or something and put in the Shanghai version.

BUt editing a classic seems wrong to me. Other, less iconic or even newer attractions are fine. But some are too iconic, or staples of the WDW experience I feel should be left alone. I look at it like McDonalds. They can change anything on the menu, but just not the Big Mac, nuggets or Fries. Thats what they do. Companies that change something core, like when Coke introduced New Coke, well, learned quickly.

These changes can make something for the now, but isn't it heavy nostalgia that brought us back after visiting at kids?
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Aye but their loved by their mommies and dads
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

9. Likes Tekneek, Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any chance the refurb will be done "early"? Maybe a soft-opening? We'll be visiting March 11-16 and would LOVE to experience the new-and-improved PotC.

Thanks!
    Eric

ASMusic 4/22
    POFQ 1/22
    AKL 9/21
    POFQ 1/20
    Pop Cent 6/19 & 11/19
    POFQ 3/19
    B Resort 11/18
    ASMusic
    3 & 7/18
    ASMusic 3/17
    Boardwalk 7/14 & 6/16
    Swan 3/13
    Solana Villa 3/11
    Grand Flo 12/09
    ASMov & Grand Flo 3/08
    Vistana 3/06
    AKL 3/05
    WL 6/02
    Off-Site 10/00
    ASMusic 3/98
    Poly 6/86
    LBV Villas 6/83

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

This is spot on and I couldn't say it any better. I'm all for teachable moments, but never has it occurred to me to dive into deep and serious conversations with my kids about the world's injustices while enjoying the day at Disney or any theme park. I've been going on Pirate's since I was 2 and even to this day I have never taken that scene too seriously or given it much deep thought. This change won't ruin the attraction for me and it will always be one of my favorites, but people have to lighten up a bit and stop taking everything so seriously.
    - Brian

First WDW visit: 1984, Village Resort
    Last WDW visit: 2015, Caribbean Beach
    Next WDW visit: 2018, Polynesian

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: