Quantcast Michael Phelps Goes to Disney World

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Michael Phelps Goes to Disney World

Michael Phelps Wins Record-Setting Gold in Beijing… What Did He Do Next? He Went to Disney World!

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (August 29, 2008) – Direct from the Beijing Games where he won a record eight Gold Medals, world champion swimmer Michael Phelps celebrated his unprecedented achievement with an all-American homecoming parade in his honor at Walt Disney World Resort.

In a star-spangled salute amidst confetti and thousands of flag-waving fans in the Magic Kingdom, Phelps was honored for his record-setting wins and for the spirit in which he captivated the world in his quest for Gold.

The 23-year-old from Baltimore beamed as he rode through the park alongside Mickey Mouse, waving to fans who chanted his name. Magic Kingdom guests joined in “America’s Homecoming Parade” for the swimmer who broke records in each event he entered in Beijing.

For Phelps, who also was honored in Disney parades at both Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland Park in California following the 2004 Summer Games, it was a sweet homecoming to the United States and to see fans who supported him in his quest for Gold in Beijing.

“I am so happy to celebrate here and see some of the fans who supported me,” said Phelps. “It’s great to feel so much excitement around the sport of swimming in the U.S. and around the world. To top it all off with a parade at Disney World is just incredible.”

During his celebration in the Magic Kingdom, Phelps also took time to meet a group of local swimmers from the central Florida area. The aspiring young swimmers had the chance to talk with Phelps, ask about his record-breaking experiences and see the Gold Medals he won in Beijing.

Phelps’ celebration at Walt Disney World is planned to be the next feature on his wildly popular Facebook.com page. Phelps, one of the most popular public figures on the social networking site, has nearly 1.5 million Facebook “fans” who have subscribed to receive his latest news and updates. Phelps said he plans to offer photographs and video of his Walt Disney World visit on his Facebook.com site.

Phelps, who has announced he will train for the 2012 Games, now owns the record for most Gold Medals in a single event (8) and for a career (14).
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This boy is everywhere. I'm getting kind of tired of seeing his face. One issue of Newsday he was on the front and back cover!
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Phelps is everywhere but that's OK because he is a true success story and a hero for kids. What a surprise to see him in a parade at Disney World!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Man! I missed him by 2 weeks! Even though I think that he's everywhere right now, it would have been cool to say that you were in Disney World at the same time as Michael Phelps.
    First Trip to Disney World; age 4 1/2; 01/89 CBR
    15+trips staying at CBR, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, AsSp, AsMu, AsMo, POP!, GF, WL, Fort Wilderness.
    Resent Trips;
    03/04; POP!
    03/05; POP!
    06/06; POP! (Honeymoon!)
    03/07; AsMo
    09/08; AsMu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    This boy is everywhere. I'm getting kind of tired of seeing his face. One issue of Newsday he was on the front and back cover!
    Seriously?

No offense, really, but I'd much rather see someone like him than someone like Britney Spears or Paris Hilton or any number of other "celebrities" plastered all over the media for no reason whatsoever. At least Michael Phelps has a good reason for being "everywhere".

I think he's awesome. And, he's a good inspiration for a lot of people, young and not so young.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously?

No offense, really, but I'd much rather see someone like him than someone like Britney Spears or Paris Hilton or any number of other "celebrities" plastered all over the media for no reason whatsoever. At least Michael Phelps has a good reason for being "everywhere".

I think he's awesome. And, he's a good inspiration for a lot of people, young and not so young.
    Yes, he is inspirational but I can only here how many gold medals he's won a certain number of times before the story gets old. I've never seen Paris Hilton on the cover of Newsday and I'm not saying I would rather see her either. I just wish they would report new news and quit showing putting his picture on everything.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I see your point. But, he did make Olympic history. We'll be hearing about it until someone else beats him.

Unfortunately, the next "new" news story will not be as happy...

I'd much rather keep hearing about Michael Phelps than the impact of Gustav on the Gulf Coast...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, he is inspirational but I can only here how many gold medals he's won a certain number of times before the story gets old. I've never seen Paris Hilton on the cover of Newsday and I'm not saying I would rather see her either. I just wish they would report new news and quit showing putting his picture on everything.
    I just think it is nice that there is something positive to report. And why was he on the cover and the back of Newsday?!? HE is front page news and he is SPORTS news. That boy not only broke the gold medal record he decimated it. He broke swimming records and broke the record for most medals won in a single game. Let him have his 15 minutes of fame, even if it is a years worth...he deserves it...he earned it!!! I like that my children are asking about him instead of Hannah Montana, or Bratz...He worked for and accomplished something truly worth reporting about. After the Olympic fervor dies down when will we talk about him again? Four years from now? It is not like a baseball or football player that will be in the news possibly year round.
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I just think it is nice that there is something positive to report. And why was he on the cover and the back of Newsday?!? HE is front page news and he is SPORTS news. That boy not only broke the gold medal record he decimated it. He broke swimming records and broke the record for most medals won in a single game. Let him have his 15 minutes of fame, even if it is a years worth...he deserves it...he earned it!!! I like that my children are asking about him instead of Hannah Montana, or Bratz...He worked for and accomplished something truly worth reporting about. After the Olympic fervor dies down when will we talk about him again? Four years from now? It is not like a baseball or football player that will be in the news possibly year round.
    You're taking my coment way too seriously. It's my own opinion and I'm tired of hearing about him. You have your own opinion, we agree to disagree. Yes, he was on the back because the back page is used for sports but does that mean he has to be on the front as well? It's going a little overboard. There are other things going on in the world then the Olympics. Today on Yahoo there was a whole feature on him and who he's dating or who his dad is, who cares?
    Carribean Beach '95
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

There are other things going on in the world then the Olympics. Today on Yahoo there was a whole feature on him and who he's dating or who his dad is, who cares?
    I totally agree. However, I'm glad that this happened when I was old enough to remember it. This is something that just doesn't happen that often and my children will probably be hearing about it (unless somebody else beats his record in the next Olympics). With that being said, my whole family, including my cousins and my aunt, were making fun of how much they were talking about him all over the TV. It was like there was nobody else even swimming, or competing for that matter, the whole two that the Olympics were going on. And then when they DID actually talk about somebody else, they would find a way to bring it back around to talk about Phelps. It was kind of sad and I felt sorry for the other athletes.
    First Trip to Disney World; age 4 1/2; 01/89 CBR
    15+trips staying at CBR, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, AsSp, AsMu, AsMo, POP!, GF, WL, Fort Wilderness.
    Resent Trips;
    03/04; POP!
    03/05; POP!
    06/06; POP! (Honeymoon!)
    03/07; AsMo
    09/08; AsMu

Post Thanks / Like

I totally respect your opinion and i know he is everywhere but, my goodness. I don't think you guys realize how monumental this accomplishment was. He has even stated that if he was not able to do what he did in 2008 is was never going to happen for him because in 2012 he will not be in as good as shape as he is now (or somethin glike that). He had to swim 17 races in about a one week period. He had to win every one of his finals, and he had only 8 chances, which he did. And if you watched, everytime they talked to him he always mentioned the fact that he could not have done it without his teammates and the relays. I am not the president of the Michael Phelps fan club but, come on, give the guy his props. If Derrek Jeater trips over a curb it is the news for a month, and furthermore, how much is it in the news and all over the papers when a ball player is going to break the homerun record. He did something that NOONE has ever done before and his moment will die down soon, let him bask. The Olympics just ended, of course it is still in the news. AND, he just got back from China, I guess the Americans want to congratulate him as well. (also, I was a swimmer and know how hard it was for him to do what he did.) It was just as bad the first year they let the professional basketball players compete. Anyone remember that media frenzy? man thay was all over news, McDonalds cups, and cereal boxes. But hey, they are the ones who are paid millions to do what they do. He will NEVER be recognized as much or get paid the same and he works just as hard, even with what ever corp sponorship he gets. ( ok, I am done. Just wanted to spew) BTW, I love a good hearted debate, thanks
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site

Post Thanks / Like

By this time next year, everyone will still remember that Phelps broke Mark Spitz's record, but Phelps won't still be everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

right, he is news today but not tommorow
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of get tired of hearing his name all the time, and did kind of feel sorry for the other atheletes who performed so well, but he did something phenominal. At least he isn't in the news because he used steriods or something, althought they did try to blame his success on that until he told them that he gets tested every day. What I think is so great about him is that he grew up ADHD and teased at school because of his ackwardness. I think his are amazing accomplishments with these drawbacks. Every time I think about it and the things my DGS went through when younger because of ADHD and being teased all the time, I want to congratulate him and tell my DGS that he can do anything he sets out to do and here is a good example. Congratulations, Michael! Go get 'em!
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Michael Phelps...who

Post Thanks / Like

I am so happy for his accomplishments and I am happy for his 15 minutes of fame. I would rather hear about him then other things that dominate the news. He did a great achievement and hopefully he will leave a mark and teach a good lesson to today's kids. His 15 minutes will be over soon. I really haven't had time to hear much about him other then the highlights. I do wish I was at his Disney World parade! I would've waved my American flag proudly! He did our country good over in China. Go Michael!
    ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I could care less. I could care less about the Olympics altogether anyway, but this guy is NO hero. Wow....he can swim fast. He won some competitions....big whoop-a-dee-doo. Now he's getting (even more so) paid ridiculous amounts of money from sponsors just because he can swim. How is what he does worthwhile to anyone but himself, when you think about it? There's no real meaning to the stupid Olympic games, and the only positive aspect of what he accomplished (impressive as it may be to some) is that HE personally benefits with more $$$ and his 15 minutes of fame. I don't go for that "rah rah rah go USA go" garbage, because when all is said and done, people who can swim fast or do their little gymnastics routine just to get some medals get nothing long-term out of it, unless you happen to catch a sponsor's eye. Otherwise....as Homer Simpson would say, it's all "BOR---ING!". - Just MY take on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but why shouldn't someone be rewarded for doing something the rest of us cannot. He did not just roll out of bed one day and say "oh, it looks like a nice day for a swim." We worked hard for what he achieved and did it all while overcoming a learning disability. We watch sports and the olympics to cheer and to be entertained. Not because it is going to change our lives. If kids can be inspired to get off the couch and go swimmming because they want to be like him, good. Kids play baseball and football and hockey for the same reasons. I too wish I was there for the parade, it would have been fun. Better than the one where Regis and Kelli are waving to the crowd while talking about Hannah Montana or the Jonhas Brothers. He truly did something amazing...
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site

Post Thanks / Like

He has earned his moment in the sun....he has devoted his life to swimming, made it to the top and is deserving of the pub...for those who are tired of him, don't worry, the next "new best thing ever" will come along soon enough and he will go the way of Mary Lou Retton and become a figure brought to mind every fourth year.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWRox View Post
    Personally, I could care less. I could care less about the Olympics altogether anyway, but this guy is NO hero. Wow....he can swim fast. He won some competitions....big whoop-a-dee-doo. Now he's getting (even more so) paid ridiculous amounts of money from sponsors just because he can swim. How is what he does worthwhile to anyone but himself, when you think about it? .
    It is entertainment. Some people like to listen to fine orchestras, some like to hang fine paintings in their house. Others like to watch men and women push their physical limits to achieve greatness. The great thing about the Michael Phelps story is that as others have mentioned, he had ADD as a child, was bullied because of his looks and even had teachers tell him he had no future. Yet he found a sanctuary in the pool and was able to do something no one has ever done. As a teacher, I see that there are far too few good role models around these days. Whether you personally find him boring or not, it is nice for these kids to have someone like this to look up to, and if by watching him swim he has inspired just one child to apply themselves, then yes, that makes him a hero.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: