Quantcast American Idol - Season 6 - Page 32

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe this -- my twins' Kindergarten graduation (yes, GRADUATION, I don't know who came up with this idiotic idea) is scheduled for Tuesday night at 6pm -- right during the finale of American Idol (we live 18 miles from CST so we get their channels). I broached the subject of not going with my kids and they were quite peeved, so we have to go. And since they are in two different classes, the second one graduates at 7, so no chance of getting out early to watch.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    I can't believe this -- my twins' Kindergarten graduation (yes, GRADUATION, I don't know who came up with this idiotic idea) is scheduled for Tuesday night at 6pm -- right during the finale of American Idol (we live 18 miles from CST so we get their channels). I broached the subject of not going with my kids and they were quite peeved, so we have to go. And since they are in two different classes, the second one graduates at 7, so no chance of getting out early to watch.
    I teach and I'm so happy my county doesn't allow "graduation" until 12th grade, because it was getting out of hand. Kids were graduating out of pre-k, k, 5th grade, 8th grade.....

GO BLAKE!!! (actually, i don't know if i want him to win because then he has to release the american idol single.
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    Time to get TiVO.

Seriously, what a bummer. At lease you'll be with your kids which is more important. Graduation is improtant and you'd hate to miss it, especially from kindergarten. Hopefully they pass the final and make it.

Just a fyi, I've missed a couple Idol episodes due to DVR malfunction and was able to find the performances I missed on youtube the next day.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Since Melinda is gone, there is no reason to even watch, IMO. I can not believe that she got voted off!! The only good news is that she will be signed to a recording contract even without winning Idol!!
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jedigrrrl View Post

GO BLAKE!!! (actually, i don't know if i want him to win because then he has to release the american idol single.
    I'm with ya. It seems like lately if you win AI you have no chance of getting anywhere. I really would like Blake to win but at the same time... i'm afraid that they will make him release a terrible song just like the past few winners. If Jordin wins, she'll release a corny cheesy song, if she doesn't win, she'll release a corny cheesy song...
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I really think they did Blake a disservice by having him sing that ballad at the end of the show. I know that they had a song-writing competition, but couldn't they have picked a separate song for Blake that was more in his style? "This is My Now" couldn't have been more Jordin-esque if they had tried.

Incidentally, didn't Katherine McPhee and Taylor Hicks each have their own song at the end last year?

Anyway, aside from that I thought it was like what Simon said--Jordin clearly beat out Blake in vocals, but Blake was more of a performer (and Blake goes out in the audience to connect with people, while Jordin kind of keeps herself apart onstage).

I do think Jordin will win.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Beth- Kat and Taylor did have separate songs but that was the only year. Taylor originally had a different song, and Do I Make You Proud was going to be Elliott's, but once E got eliminated Taylor snagged it because he was unhappy with the other one.

And I totally agree with you. As soon as I heard the opening notes I knew this spelled bad news for Blake. I think he tried his best but it was almost painful to watch. The tears sealed the deal for Jordin. I do think that she is deserving of the win. I agreed with Simon when he said he thought she was shrieking with "Fighter" but I believe that with the right coaching she can control that much better. She will be great.

Did anyone else think that the mixing sounded weird on Blake's first song? The band and backup singers overpowered him at times and his mike also seemed to be cutting in and out. It cut in and out with the judges as well.

I didn't vote at all tonight. I don't think I want Blake to win. I don't want to hear him sing that song ever again.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

*Correction. Clay and Reubin had different songs too. But I think the rest of them were the same.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I just came back from American Idol at the Kodak theater in Hollywood. I didn't' have tickets when I went there, don't have any Idol, or Fox contacts, but having lived next to the Kodak for so many years, I know how these kind of shows work. So I managed to get tickets and ended up sitting six rows from the stage next to all of the top 12 Idol finalist. The Idol contestants sat on the first six rows in pairs of two, all on the aisle. Brandon Rogers, and Stephanie Edwards were on my row. Gina Glocksen, and Chris Sligh sat on the row in front of me.

There were also quite a few other celebrities in the audiences, the ones I saw were Ricky Schroder, Marlee Matlin, Andrea Bowen, from Desperate Housewives (Teri Hatcher's daughter on the show), and Jennifer Hudson, who was sitting just across the aisle from me. I also briefly met Sanjaya's sister.

When Jennifer took her seat, Simon shook his finger at her (as to say no-no). Jennifer had been critical of Simon around Oscar time, saying he never supported her. The TV show Extra proved her wrong, by showing all the clips of Simon from her season, and he always said good things.

As far as the show, it of course has a different feeling then watching it on TV. Blake sounded great in the theater for his first performance. For the audience, it was hard to hear the judges, because their voices are not too loud in the theater (probably to prevent feedback).

Phil Stacey who was a couple of rows in front of me was always the first to stand to his feet and applaud Blake and Jordin. Once he stood up, so did the other Idol contestants, and then our section would stand, which caused the rest of the orchestra seating to stand up.

I thought Blake did a great performance with his first song, and I agreed with the judges about him. Jordin sounded great to me for all her songs, but of course I've been a Jordin supporter for a while. Being so close to the stage, I could see the emotion on her face during her last song. I'm watching the show now on TV now, and I thought she was fantastic and would be very surprised if she doesn't win.

I also loved the ending of the show with the live song "I'm Going Home", and the video montage from the season. I'm hoping I can get in tomorrow night as well, though if I do, I doubt I'll get as good of seats as I got tonight.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

pogo Guest

That is so cool..... thanks for sharing your Idol experience with us.

Blake and Jordin are both winners, no mattter who wins AI tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool!!

Wow, thanks so much for sharing that first hand report-how cool!

Now...

I have to start off by saying overall I have been disappointed with this year's Idol. The sad thing is I still watched almost every show (how many hours of my life was that anyway?)

I honestly don't think either Blake or Jordin are the caliber of performer I would like to see out of a HUGE NATIONwide talent search like that. Jordin has a great voice, but is unpolished and lacks some consistency. Blake is a great entertainer but lacks great vocals.

That being said though, I will be very disappointed if Blake wins.

Someone mentioned earlier the song being basically taylormade for Jordin, but if you look at all the hokey Idol songs from the past Blake had to know he was going to get something cheesy like that to sing, it's just the way the contest works.

Looking forward to the 2 hour show, Fox always puts on quite a show with these and they are usually pretty entertaining. After that...I'll be glad to get my Tuesdays and Wednesday back
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Very, very cool Chris! Hope you get in tonight!

My decision on who I want to win has been really tough. I still have a hard time with the whole "it's strictly a singing competition" thing, because for me, it's the total package. I mean come on, Paula of all people should know that. Her success wasn't achieved on her voice alone, goodness knows!

That said, I think I look at Jordin's voice, and the potential that I think she has as a performer, and I have to give her the edge. I think she can be molded into a very successful artist. And Blake will do just fine without that AI title. Yes, they are both winners.

Loved Chris' performance at the end. At first I didn't get Paula's (everyone is a winner) comment, but it didn't take long. Go Chris!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    *Correction. Clay and Reubin had different songs too. But I think the rest of them were the same.
    The first three seasons, they had two songs. The contestants both sang both songs. I don't recall what happened in the Bo-Carrie year. Last year, they gave them a choice between the songs instead of making them both sing both songs. This year, no choice. And it played to Jordin's strengths and really didn't work for Blake. Blake is my pick, and it's a shame he won't win now due in part to the song choice. But yes, those final songs are always cheesefests, and Blake is a different kind of performer, not as strong a singer as Jordin.

I voted for Blake several times in a row last night and never got a busy signal but once. I think Jordin has this one, and not undeservedly so (though I would have preferred Melinda).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

How cool to get into the Kodak last night. Thanks for the first hand report!

Now for some spoilers, if you put any faith in Dial Idol:

Dial Idol shows Jording way ahead of Blake, actually almost the same amount as Taylor over Kat last year.

But I agree with everyone else, even if Blake does not win, he will have a career ahead of him. Tonights show should be entertaining. I haven't heard what big stars will be there, I'm just looking forward to seeing and hearing my favorite Idol, Taylor sing!
    Sandy G.

First Vacation Trip-DXL, August, 2000
    Last Trip-Yacht Club December 2017
    Next Up-The Swan December 2018
    Many In Between

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like Blake better, but I don't want him to win. Let Jordin be stuck recording that song; it's perfect for her. Blake will get a recording contract and be more free to do his own thing if he doesn't win.

Edited to add: I don't mean to make it sound like I don't like Jordin, because she has a great voice and she did well last night. Even before the show started, though, I was thinking, I like Blake so much that I actually don't want him to win, so he's not stuck with the AI single and packaging.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rumor Mill

The rumor mill says none other than Mrs. Ex Federline herself will be singing tonight at the finale...
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanetMegan View Post
    The rumor mill says none other than Mrs. Ex Federline herself will be singing tonight at the finale...
    Well, whoopdedoo!

Man, wish I had TIVo to fast forward through that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    And it played to Jordin's strengths and really didn't work for Blake. Blake is my pick, and it's a shame he won't win now due in part to the song choice.
    No, that final song wasn't suited to Blake but just because it wasn't his style of music doesn't mean he couldn't have performed it well. Jordin performed it better because she is a better singer. People try to make to many excuses for someone when they don't do something well or don't win. Perhaps the reason he might not win is because Jordin is better, not because he got stuck with that final song.
    1996...Magic Music Days...Off Site
    2000...With family...Off site
    2004...Honeymoon...POFQ
    2005...1 yr anniv...POR
    2008...4 year anniv...Windsor Hills
    2011...8 year anniv...Lighthouse Key
    2015...10 Year Anniv...Windsor Hills

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by allie_to_you View Post
    No, that final song wasn't suited to Blake but just because it wasn't his style of music doesn't mean he couldn't have performed it well. Jordin performed it better because she is a better singer. People try to make to many excuses for someone when they don't do something well or don't win. Perhaps the reason he might not win is because Jordin is better, not because he got stuck with that final song.
    I'm sorry, but I have to totally and completely disagree with you here.

There are styles of music that some folks are good at and some aren't.

Can you see an Eddie Vedder or someone with a gravely type, rocker voice singing that song well? I can't. Does that mean they're not an amazing vocalist, in their own genre?? Of course not ...

Blake's voice is an 80's throwback, dance/hip-hop kinda voice. It's incredible for that genre (one of the best, IMO). But he's never gonna come out and belt out a ballad like that and sound good. Does that mean he's not a good entertainer? No.

Overall, Blake is the better entertainer by far. Honestly, even though she has a great voice (and I really do like her a lot), I turned Jordin off to watch the Phillies on two of her three songs (watched the first one). She bores me to tears.

Blake, on the other hand ... I watched every second of all three of his songs and loved it.

Jordin will win and probably rightly so, but if I was going to pick one to go see live I'd save my money on Jordin and buy a new mattress for my bed instead. Either way I'm going to be
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    The first three seasons, they had two songs. The contestants both sang both songs. I don't recall what happened in the Bo-Carrie year. Last year, they gave them a choice between the songs instead of making them both sing both songs.
    For curiosity's sake I l just decided to look it up
    Season 1- Justin and Kelly sang "Before Your Love" and "A Moment Like This"

Season 2- Different original songs
    Ruben sang "Flying Without Wings" and Clay sang "This Is The Night"

Season 3- Fantasia and Diana both sang the same original song, "I Believe"

Season 4- Bo and Carrie sang the same original song, "Inside Your Heaven"

Season 5- The top 3 contestants were assigned different original songs. When Elliott got kicked off, Taylor snagged "Do I Make You Proud". Kat sang "My Destiny."

Season 6- Both are forced to sing a cheesy song that won the competition. Considering that Blake's arrangement sounded the same as Jordin's, I don't think he was allowed to change it at all.

As far as Blake knowing what to expect, he did say he never watched the show at all before and auditioned because his friend drug him along so it's possible he wasn't really familiar with the cheesy coronation song. And as far as us making excuses, would Idol ever make Jordin beat box through a song? And Look how terrible she did on Bon Jovi night. Everyone has different strengths.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: