Quantcast New Dining Plan STINKS!!!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down New Dining Plan STINKS!!!!

Just got back from a 7-night stay and I have to say I was very, very disappointed with the new dining plan (used it last in '06). The last time we used it, the gratuity (an automatic 18% because there were 8 of us this trip) was included, as were appetizers. Now you have to pay the tip separately; either use a credit card or cash or charge it to your room. It seems to me that the servers must be suffering with this, because last time we always left something extra beyond what was included on the Plan; this time we couldn't really justify it. Plus 2 of our servers (one at CP, one at GF) charged our room even though we handed them cash, so they, in essence, gave themselves a double tip. Also, there are some bizarre inconsistencies from one restaurant to the next. For example, at Planet Hollywood, our server told us that, if anyone wanted a milkshake instead of a soft drink, it would be counted as their dessert. The very next night, at Whispering Canyon Cafe, our server told us that "All-You-Can-Drink" milk shakes are included on the Dining Plan. Between these new wrinkles in the plan and the fact that the service was inconsistent from one place to the next, and the food really wasn't all that good at some of the restaurants, the whole experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth, pun not intended.
    July, 1973 - Polynesian
    July, 1976 - Polynesian
    July, 1978 - Polynesian
    October, 1982 - Hotel Royal Plaza (Honeymoon)
    November, 1999 - offsite (timeshare)
    June, 2003 - offsite (timeshare)
    June, 2006 - Coronado Springs Resort
    November, 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I preferred the tip inclusion as well but times are tough and it's a way to raise prices without raising prices. As to the service and food quality, It's always been inconsistant, in my opinion. And it always seemed to me that all of the restaurants seemed to work off different rules every time we went.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

We went in 07 and a server at The Crystal Palace told us there would be a few changes concerning the dining plan, namely the tip not being included. He told us this was a Union decision because the servers were being taxed on what is charged to the check with the tip included in the dining plan. Being in the restaurant business, we have a little insight on why the majority of the union would hold the patrons responsible for the tip. Having the tip included on the bill means the servers must claim the full amount of the tip as taxable income, and thus having to pay the income tax on the full tip. Where they leave it to the patron to pay, they only have to claim a certain percentage of the bill,(usually being between 8-10%). Which in there logic , they would becoming out ahead. I'm pretty sure under the old DDP that the bill was tipped out at 18%, so they would be paying income tax on the 18%. Where as the patron leaves 15-20%, if it cash and not a room charge or credit card, they would only claim between 8-10%, paying that much less tax.But we're pretty sure that alot of people either tip with a credit card or room charge, and they have to claim that income anyway. Now I think this logic is inherently flawed , as with a poster above, we always gave the servers extra, always cash. Now I believe they get fewer tips, no extras. We also had a large party with several meals and because the server knew they had a guaranteed 18% , I believe the service was subpar. We had a few exceptions like Le Cellier, The Coral Reef and 50' Prime Time, but elsewhere it was pretty subpar. I also did'nt like having to be hit for 18% on a buffet.The max on a buffet is usually 12%. as for the confusion with the milkshakes, it depends on where you dine. They were included at 50's Prime time and the Sci Fi. At planet Hollywood, they were considered dessert. Also, some of the desserts at Planet Hollywood were going to have to be split. Bizzare. We were at WDW this past September and we were disappointed with the DDP. We are trying to do the math and see if we really came out ahead.

~Cheryl~

2x's as a child, 2003 - Music, 2005 - Pop, 2007 - Music (Sept.), 2007- Movies (SSW), 2008-Movies, 2008 - Movies (Nov), 2009 - Movies (June)

2010- March - not booked but going for youngests 7th birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW..I've used the DDP & Deluxe DDP multiple times over the years and had zero issues as to how it worked with any dining location at the resort.

Maybe I've just been lucky in this regard but even with the changes from year to year the system has worked for me and is a definite value IMO and I'll be using the Deluxe DDP again in 2 weeks & looking forward to it very much.
    WDW Resort visits..
    1st visit 1977
    1979,1980,& 1982
    Twice a year (Feb & Dec) since 1984.
    Resorts: CR,BW,WL,AKL,YC,POFC,CB, FW & POP
    Next: Dec 1st thru 10th 2008
    This trip will be my 52nd..over 1yr of my life @WDW. Am I CRAZY??

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it is because I never used the DDP when tip was included, but I do not feel it was a big deal to tip on my own, especially if it’s a free dining plan. The tip amount on the bill is a recommended amount and you have to remember this is still a tip, not required. If you want to tip more or less, do it! In a group and received ****** service? Have the manager come over. There tip value should be based on how well they do, if they are providing poor service it is good to let them know it so when others go, maybe service will be better.

As for them being taxed, this only helps them if it is cash. Disney would have to report the full tip amount on a recorded transaction such as credit card or room charge. If you do pay cash, make it known by writing that on the tip part of the receipt before signing. They can’t argue that you wrote it in… in my eyes if a server writes in a tip, they are committing fraud. No one has the right to add a tip in any situation and this is called “stealing”. Do not let this slide whether intentional or not by the server. This is a huge issue with me and I have a zero tolerance rule. If I caught that I would be all over Disney and I truly believe that those servers should be FIRED!
    Brian

December 9 -December 18, 2015 POR
    Sept 24 - Oct 4, 2009, POFQ
    September, 2008 - CBR
    April, 1988-offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cal5755 View Post
    We went in 07 and a server at The Crystal Palace told us there would be a few changes concerning the dining plan, namely the tip not being included. He told us this was a Union decision because the servers were being taxed on what is charged to the check with the tip included in the dining plan. Being in the restaurant business, we have a little insight on why the majority of the union would hold the patrons responsible for the tip. Having the tip included on the bill means the servers must claim the full amount of the tip as taxable income, and thus having to pay the income tax on the full tip. Where they leave it to the patron to pay, they only have to claim a certain percentage of the bill,(usually being between 8-10%). Which in there logic , they would becoming out ahead. I'm pretty sure under the old DDP that the bill was tipped out at 18%, so they would be paying income tax on the 18%. Where as the patron leaves 15-20%, if it cash and not a room charge or credit card, they would only claim between 8-10%, paying that much less tax.But we're pretty sure that alot of people either tip with a credit card or room charge, and they have to claim that income anyway. Now I think this logic is inherently flawed , as with a poster above, we always gave the servers extra, always cash. Now I believe they get fewer tips, no extras. We also had a large party with several meals and because the server knew they had a guaranteed 18% , I believe the service was subpar. We had a few exceptions like Le Cellier, The Coral Reef and 50' Prime Time, but elsewhere it was pretty subpar. I also did'nt like having to be hit for 18% on a buffet.The max on a buffet is usually 12%. as for the confusion with the milkshakes, it depends on where you dine. They were included at 50's Prime time and the Sci Fi. At planet Hollywood, they were considered dessert. Also, some of the desserts at Planet Hollywood were going to have to be split. Bizzare. We were at WDW this past September and we were disappointed with the DDP. We are trying to do the math and see if we really came out ahead.
    Another reason the union wanted to change this was that not all the restaurants were giving their workers the 18% collected (minus taxes) to the worker. At the non-WDW owned restaurants on the Dining Plan (such as most of the World Showcase restaurants, Wolfgang Puck, etc.) Disney would give them 18% of the total bill for tip, but only a set amount to compensate for the credit. What these restaurants did was calculate what was 18% of the set amount they received per credit and gave that to the worker, minus taxes. In many cases that worked out to be a $5.00 tip for a table which ordered over $100 worth of food, not even close to 18%, even if you factor in taxes being taken out. We had a thread about this when the changes went into effect. I'll see if I can't find a list of the non-WDW owned restaurants that did this.

Now WDW owned restaurants, such as Ohana, Whispering Canyon Cafe, etc. did not do this. What the union wanted was a level playing field for all servers. Disney management would not make the non-WDW owned restaurants give the full tip amount to those servers, so the union decided to go with tip not included at all.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that having the tip included w/the DDP may have been convenient.

Regarding the previous posts about adding additional $ to the 18% the servers were receiving, I have read numerous posts on here before about people who purposly will make 2 seperate ADR's as to avoid an automatic grat. That IMHO is in VERY poor taste (lets make the server work just as hard for less $).

As for those who will tip additional on top of any grat, let me tell you from experience, you are VERY appreciated by your server for that (and it should be voiced as so) and you are the very few who even do it!

Again, I understand that having the tip included was very convenient, but please don't make the mistake in thinking that just because you have to pay a little more $ for something that the person working to serve you should have to suffer for that.

Post Thanks / Like

When comparing the policies on milkshakes one has to keep in mind that not all restaurants are Disney owned. Whispering Canyon is but Planet Hollywood is not. Planet Hollywood will set its own policy on what is or is not included on the DDP. That's the source of the discrepancy.

For us, the change from appetizer/dessert to dessert only and the dropping of the automatic tip meant that the plan is not not a good deal for us. That doesn't mean that the DDP is necessarily bad, just that you have to work out whether it works for you and how you choose to dine.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of like the idea of tipping on our own because then we can control how much they get.

I would think that if the tip were built in, some servers might not try as hard..
    ~*Crystal*~

May 2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    M
    ay 2007 - Pop Century Resort
    May 2008 - Royal Pacific Resort at UO
    Sept 2008 - Hard Rock Hotel at UO
    May 2009 - All Star Music

Coming Up: May 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I was surprised to find that I didn't mind the new tipping policy at all - I was concerned about the convenience factor, but it was really no problem.

It did allow me more control over the tipping, which was good. My base tip is 20%. If I get really good service, I go higher than that, but feel no compunction in going down either if the service is poor. On two occasions at WDW last month, we did go down (CP and WCC) because we had to ask multiple times to get our drinks refilled, the server would disappear for extended periods of time, etc. However, what we found interesting was that our very best service came in places where the gratuity was included (Luau, CRT, HDDR). In all three cases, we left extra.
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    I kind of like the idea of tipping on our own because then we can control how much they get.

I would think that if the tip were built in, some servers might not try as hard..
    I have to agree with you on this. I don't think every server was worth the 18% when we were there last Oct. There were a few we left extra above the 18%. We haven't been since the new changes went into effect, but I think I will like leaving what I think the server was worth. The other changes, though, I am not so sure I will like.
    LIZ
    Disneyland-Too many times to count
    WDW
    APRIL 2005 - Offsite
    DECEMBER 2006 - Fort Wilderness
    OCTOBER 2007-Saratoga Springs Resort
    SEPTEMBER 2009-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

We really like the DDP.The old plan was much better and with tip included it was an unbelievable deal but we still like it.Of course there's alot of planning if your trying to get the best bang for your buck but we aren't the type to order the most expensive thing on the menu just to get the most for our money.If your doing buffets and character breakfasts I'd say pay OOP.We always seem to at least break out even.Doing a signature meal deffinetly won't get you your best value but we do one every trip anyhow.This next trip we're trying the QS Dining Plan.We always get a really good deal with QS meals on the DDP.
    I'm not trying to flame the OP but I see an awful lot of people who don't do the research that most of us do on this site to see that things like the DDP changes from year to year.I'm very rarely surprised when we go to Disney to find something has changed because of my time on the Intercot.I'm still amazed at the people who think that the MK is Disney World and they actually miss the other 3 themeparks.
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

our trip in a few weeks will be the first time we will be in disney since the new dining plan took place. as far as value, i still think it's a good value for us (there are only 2 of us) but i do wish you can exchange dessert for appetizer. as far as the tip not being included anymore, i think that might be a good thing. we had numerous instances in 2005 and 2006 that when we told the server we were on the dining plan, we got a look and very poor service. i think it's great that the servers have to work for their tip now, maybe they will treat all the customers with the same amount of attention. as for if the dining plan will really be saving us money, i plan on collecting all of our receipts and doing the math at the end of the trip.
    Disney World
    May 1995 - Off Site
    January 1998 - Off Site
    January 2001 - Off Site
    July 2001 - Off Site
    August - September 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    September 2006 - Pop Century
    December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    New Year's 2010 - POP
    May 2010 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer it when you got an appetizer and the tip was included.

But I have a question here.

Aren't waiters SUPPOSED to be taxed on their tips. Isn't this "income"?

It sorta sounds like their trying to pocket the money without paying taxes on it.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

A server should be claiming tips that they receive on any shft, however...I am currently a server at a restaurant where on most night I am tipping out our hosts about $20+, the bartender about $10+, and a food runner another $10+ (this is MANDATORY). I don't know that it works this way in Disney, but if by some crazy chance all my tips happened to be on credit cards I would actually be claiming more than what I actually made.

I know that many people don't know how much a server actually has to give out of their own pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the original post. The plan really stinks

We visited in October and I saved every receipt, recording what the food would have cost out of pocket. I added up the total vs. the cost of the plan and we pretty much broke even. Plus, we wouldn't normally eat that much in one week, so we could have saved money in the long run if we had shared meals etc.

I e-mailed my complaints to Disney and received a call, acknowledging my opinion. I encourage those of you who are equally dissatisfied as I am to do the same.

Sure, as the post above says, if I got the plan free I wouldn't complain to pay the tip or miss an appetizer. But, our family paid, and paid a lot!

My gripes are these:

• Why not allow us an appetizer OR a dessert?
    • Why should a 10 year old be expected to eat like an adult? Our 11 year old last month barely put a dent in her adult dinner. What a waste of food!!
    • Why can't there be a buffet type of plan we could piece meal together based on our needs? For example, we could pick how many counter and tables we would like in a week.
    • Tipping - just put in back in the plan. By asking us to pay for tipping and not decreasing the price for the plan, makes WDW seem greedy.

I'll get off my now.

I really hope they make some positive changes or else they may lose those of us who have faithfully used the dining plan in years past.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Love2Travel View Post
    I agree with the original post. The plan really stinks

We visited in October and I saved every receipt, recording what the food would have cost out of pocket. I added up the total vs. the cost of the plan and we pretty much broke even. Plus, we wouldn't normally eat that much in one week, so we could have saved money in the long run if we had shared meals etc.
    You've laid out a lot that I agree with and really why it doesn't work for us either when we do the calculation. It really is way too much food when all is said and done. Can't ever imagine eating as much normally in a week as the plan encourages one to do? These things are why I encourage people to be really honest with themselves when calculating whether the plan is worth it. If you wouldn't normally order it then its no savings and Disney has actualled encouraged increased spending which is what they are trying to do.
    Why not allow us an appetizer OR a dessert?
    I do agree that this would be a nice option. However, as stated a number of times on this board appetizers are more costly for a restaurant and create more waste than desserts (you have to throw out every unused appetizer out at the end of the day while most desserts can be refrigerated and kept to the next day). So, Disney would choose to provide desserts and not appetizers as a way to increase profits.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

When we used the new DDP in September, I was nervous about how the tipping would work with charging, but the servers made it al very easy- we were able to put the tip and any oop appetizers on our room card very conveniently. For our money, we still got a good bargain with the plan and we'll use it again. No complaints.

2004-Allstar Movie
    2004-Allstar Movie
    2006-Allstar Movie- he proposed!!

2007-Allstar Movie
    2007- Allstar Music
    2008- September, December trip
    2009 June, Novemebr trip

"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's very tough to read"
    M Twain

Post Thanks / Like

i hope people don't jump at me for this. some of you have said that with the dining plan you end up eating more than you normally would because it's what the dining plan offers. i would agree with this from my personal experiences. i definatly eat way more and spend way more on food than normal. however, isn't one of the joys of vacationing to eat and do things that you normally wouldn't pay for when not on vacation?
    Disney World
    May 1995 - Off Site
    January 1998 - Off Site
    January 2001 - Off Site
    July 2001 - Off Site
    August - September 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    September 2006 - Pop Century
    December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    New Year's 2010 - POP
    May 2010 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Disney Dining is what you make of it.

With respect to posters who have negative feelings about Disney Dining because it didn't live up to their expectations it doesn't seem quite fair to say it "stinks".

Obviously there isn't anything that's perfect and we all want our experiences @ WDW to be as magical and perfect as possible but it is what we choose to make of it.

With all the information available here @ Intercot and other sites there's no reason you can't make an informed decision well before your trip IF any of the DDP's will work for you.

Disney isn't hiding any details from us and we're the only ones who know ourselves and our families..how much & what we like to eat. There's no reason for major suprises with all the availabe information on an DDP.

Buying a DDP is a choice, like anything else and nobody forced anyone to do it.
    Good planning & research is the key.
    Saying it "stinks" because it wasn't exactly what you thought it would be isn't really right.
    If it wasn't any good nobody would buy it. I know I wouldn't.

We all see things with different eyes.

But that's just my opinion.

Off my soapbox
    WDW Resort visits..
    1st visit 1977
    1979,1980,& 1982
    Twice a year (Feb & Dec) since 1984.
    Resorts: CR,BW,WL,AKL,YC,POFC,CB, FW & POP
    Next: Dec 1st thru 10th 2008
    This trip will be my 52nd..over 1yr of my life @WDW. Am I CRAZY??

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: