Quantcast Stitch is Out - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stitch is Out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The problem is, no one at the Sr. Exec level sees WDW's issues. All they see is the huge profit number they bring to the balance sheet every quarter.

What goes in to that number, whether it's sustainable, attained at the expense of their brand, etc. ... they don't see any of that.

On the rare occasions a Bob Iger or someone like that visits the park, it's done in a whirlwind, everything is spruced up and "just so", and they don't really see the warts.

That's part of the problem with the very, very siloed way Disney operates their businesses. Hopefully, some of these recent organizational changes with the merging of operations between DL and WDW will help things.
    See, the problem though is Iger is hands off manager.. He lets Rasuo basically get away with ruining WDW.. As long as profits are up, Rasulo can continue to erode the magic Disney used to create... Rasulo and his henchmen have no business running the theme parks... None... Rasulo was an executive in Disney's real estate division.. He should have stayed there.. That is why there is so much DVC expansion and nothing worthwhile with the parks... People here can say what theyw ant about me... But, this is the hard truth about the company today...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    . . . And by the way it would be Hannah MT not Hannah Mo.
    I think Hannah Missouri is her cousin.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

wow..sad
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I believe these are called "Dog and Pony Shows".
    And by the way it would be Hannah MT not Hannah Mo.
    Why would they waste Moneey on Hannah Montaanna if shes quiting and theirs one last season! I hate Her anywayz I would boycot disney if she was there! And I doNOT WANT TO BOYCOT DISNEY!
    Ohanna means family, no one gets left behind or forgotten

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by StitchFan#1 View Post
    Why would they waste Moneey on Hannah Montaanna if shes quiting and theirs one last season! I hate Her anywayz I would boycot disney if she was there! And I doNOT WANT TO BOYCOT DISNEY!
    "Waste" money on Hannah Montana?? Obviously you aren't paying attention to the world around. She's probably the single most profitable franchise Disney has and she's wildly popular.

Also, you'll need to get ready to boycott Disney, because she's already all over WDW.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

"Waste" money on Hannah Montana?? Obviously you aren't paying attention to the world around. She's probably the single most profitable franchise Disney has and she's wildly popular.

Also, you'll need to get ready to boycott Disney, because she's already all over WDW.
    Iger did say he only wanted shows and attractions based on successful franchises. Just saying.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Stitch is from a Disney movie, therefore he is as Disney as Winnie the Pooh. Or maybe even moreso since Pooh isn't a Disney original character. Stitch is an original, not a character they bought rights to. My belief is the hatred stems from Disney shoving him down our throats way too much. And also from the fact that Stitch replaced the beloved Alien Encounter. But, like I said, no one complains about Jack Sparrow or the princesses, or Hannah Montana or High School Musical being shoved down our throats.
    Frankly, I complain about High School Musical. Big fat pass!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Iger did say he only wanted shows and attractions based on successful franchises. Just saying.
    You know, I don't really have a clue what they want to base shows and attractions on anymore!

When you consider all the wildly successful properties they have that are completely absent from the theme parks, it really makes you wonder.

And yet they constantly milk the same properties over and over again ... Toy Story, Stitch, Monsters Inc. all get multiple attractions but hits like Incredibles, Cars, and even some of their older successful properties (BatB, Little Mermaid, etc.) go basically un-represented.

It's very odd.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Technically, BatB has a stage show (which stinks), LM has a stage show, and Cars will be getting its own land... Plus, don't forget, LM is also getting the ride in DCA and soon in WDW... Incredibles was to go in Tomorrowland with a ride using the Kuka arm, but Universal stopped that...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

My DDs could not sit through it. They were not entertained and they were too hot. I think it was a good thing they are closing this.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though I can't be a complete judge, due to I not having ever seen it, I had a feeling from the start that this wasn't going to be successful. Sure, I love Stitch, but singing and dancing? Why reverse the whole idea of Stitch's Great Escape? Plus, it just doesn't sound like something a lot of people would get into, IMHO. Too bad there is no shade or seating.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Technically, BatB has a stage show (which stinks), LM has a stage show, and Cars will be getting its own land... Plus, don't forget, LM is also getting the ride in DCA and soon in WDW... Incredibles was to go in Tomorrowland with a ride using the Kuka arm, but Universal stopped that...
    That's why I said "basically" unrepresented, because all of these "attractions" are very, very weak representations of the films.

I'm not a huge fan of "the stage show as a theme park attraction."
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I said "basically" unrepresented, because all of these "attractions" are very, very weak representations of the films.

I'm not a huge fan of "the stage show as a theme park attraction."
    Very weak. Beauty and the Beast can have such a great dark ride. The facade of the show building can look like Beast's castle. Inside, you can be greeted by Lumiere directing you to your omnimover. You can take a tour of Beast's castle with show scenes details parts of the movie. You can pass through the giant ballroom and witness Belle and Beast dance. You can then be "transported" outside where you see Gaston and the mob storming the castle. You'll move up to the castle roof and witness the battle between Beast and Gaston. And finally, witness the transformation of Beast into his human form. WDI can certainly do this, if TDO wasn't so stinking cheap.

And I have a perfect placement for it. ENCHANTED FOREST that may soon be taking up residence in Fantasyland.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

After seeing the youtube video - I'm afraid about the only reason I'd want to sit through this would be the dancers.

Tomorrowland should be about AMAZING things. And frankly? This doesn't seem either amazing or terribly fun. (Same thing with Innoventions over at EPCOT, sadly.)

Maybe part of the problem is how commercially available off-the-shelf entertainment technology (or technology of all kinds) is advancing faster than the Imagineers can actually deploy it - I don't know - but we're going to WDW in July and if I don't make it to Tomorrowland or Innoventions I'm not going to feel cheated.

(And I feel rather sad about that, since ever since my first visit to Disneyland in the '60s I've LOVED the Tomorrowland/World of the Future concepts. But a Stitch-themed future? Not so much, sorry...)
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

Post Thanks / Like

See, the problem though is Iger is hands off manager.. He lets Rasuo basically get away with ruining WDW.. As long as profits are up, Rasulo can continue to erode the magic Disney used to create... Rasulo and his henchmen have no business running the theme parks... None... Rasulo was an executive in Disney's real estate division.. He should have stayed there.. That is why there is so much DVC expansion and nothing worthwhile with the parks... People here can say what theyw ant about me... But, this is the hard truth about the company today...
    I know we've seen DVC grow tremendously over the past decade, but being a DVC owner I generally perceive it as a positive for WDW. More often than not, our joy from visiting the World comes from the great times we have being on property. That includes time in the parks as well as out of the parks - eating at the CG, visiting the Lego store in DD, etc...

Anyway - I've only seen some video snippets of the show from some video podcasts. It looked pretty lame. Does anyone think not having Space Mtn operating has hurt audience attendance at this show? I wonder if you had more people in the area - like parents w/ younger kids waiting for their teenage kids to ride Space Mtn or people waiting for a fast-pass time to Space Mtn - if it would've boosted attendance?

All in all - I agree with what most people are saying here. It's a shame that they can't come up with anything that is awe - inspiring right out of the gate anymore. Definitely symptomatic of how things have been at WDW lately. It's too bad John Lasseter hasn't taken more of an interest in WDW.

Just thoughts...
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Post Thanks / Like

I think Lasseter is a DL guy.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

SFTrny Guest

More Dark Rides, Please!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjstaceyuofm View Post
    I know we've seen DVC grow tremendously over the past decade, but being a DVC owner I generally perceive it as a positive for WDW. More often than not, our joy from visiting the World comes from the great times we have being on property. That includes time in the parks as well as out of the parks - eating at the CG, visiting the Lego store in DD, etc...

Anyway - I've only seen some video snippets of the show from some video podcasts. It looked pretty lame. Does anyone think not having Space Mtn operating has hurt audience attendance at this show? I wonder if you had more people in the area - like parents w/ younger kids waiting for their teenage kids to ride Space Mtn or people waiting for a fast-pass time to Space Mtn - if it would've boosted attendance?

All in all - I agree with what most people are saying here. It's a shame that they can't come up with anything that is awe - inspiring right out of the gate anymore. Definitely symptomatic of how things have been at WDW lately. It's too bad John Lasseter hasn't taken more of an interest in WDW.

Just thoughts...
    The DVC may have grown too fast... They can't even come close to selling out BLT now... of course, this was set in motion prior to the economy tanking, so that may have a lot to do with it... Polynesian and Grand Floridian will be next in WDW... Maybe not such a good idea.. there comes a saturation point, and they may have reached it...

I don't think the closure of Space Mountain had anything to do with it...

Lasseter is a DL guy.. But, I will tell you this much... He toured the parks in WDW one day and, well, see all the refurbs and maintenance going on??? His doing... And, just sit back and be patient... MK is going to get some love soon... And ST2 as well as Monsters Inc coaster are right around the corner...

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a huge Stitch fan, but I know that there are many Stitch fans out there....so I am not glad that this is gone.

That said, what about replacing it with a kids' karaoke stage with characters?

What about developing the space into a larger attraction? If there is not enough space on the ground, what about building up and creating an air chamber with some futuristic touches that evoke the feel of Tomorrowland? Could have it be part of something similar to the interactive Kim Possible thing going on over in EPCOT.

Post Thanks / Like

I did see this show, and I thought it was kind of cute. I agree that the lack of shade and seating is a drag. I also agree that people will put up with that for Dream Along With Mickey and a lot of other shows, parades, etc.

The use of the same technology as Turtle Talk uses, with Stitch on-screen, works well. Stitch has some funny lines. The kids that were there when I watched this show were into it. The dancers, especially the robot guys, were amazingly good. I think calling it a total bust is not really fair -- but if it is a total bust, then good for Disney to cut their losses, and ours.

In general, Tomorrowland's problem is that it doesn't know what to be. It needs a cohesive concept and vision (DL Paris "Discoveryland" did this well with a clearly expressed Jules Verne vision of the future). You can never create "the future" -- it becomes the past too quickly. But you could choose some particular previous "future" and run with that. There are lots of great futures to choose from - Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein/Isaac Asimov, the 20s and 30s deco streamline, 50s mid-century modern, you name it. 1955 would be kind of an obvious choice. Pick your favorite, but pick ONE and execute the best possible vision of that, rather than this endless sort of halfhearted trial and error they're doing now.

I must say, all in all, considering this is supposedly a Disney fan site, there sure is a lot of Disney bashing going on here?
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: