Quantcast Is the American Idol Experience "fixed"?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Is the American Idol Experience "fixed"?

We went to the American Idol Experience for the first time yesterday. By the end, I couldn't help but think that the whole process is fixed before the three contestants take the stage.

During the second contestant's song, which was "This is Me" from Camp Rock, I noticed that I could barely hear the girl's voice over the back up vocals. What I could hear was good, but when her voice faded out, the back up vocals made it sound as if she was singing strongly. It was very strange. The other two contestants were on their own, in that they had to carry the melody on the merits of their voice.

I also noticed that the second contestant was the only one who had a video montage of herself before she sang.

The second contestant was the winner. (Surprise) I ended up feeling really annoyed that I hadn't really had the chance to hear her sing, because I think she had a decent voice and might have won without the "help".

Has anyone else ever noticed this on the American Idol Experience?

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've wondered this myself and so have some friends of mine. I don't think the video necessarily has anything to do with it though, as the girl who was featured in the video in the last show I saw was not selected to go on to the final. I think they just choose one contestant to make a video on. I guess the reason I've thought it might be "fixed" is that there always seems to be that one contestant who is a little too polished in an "aw shucks" kind of way (if that makes sense). Oh well, it's a fun show regardless.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

eveytime I went to the American Idol experience, the second contestant was always the only one who got a video montage (but not always the winner), I think it's part of the concept.
    If I remember correctly, one of the contestants has an on-stage interview and the other one a pep-talk from a former American Idol winner.
    last time in WDW : October 2012
    going back in August 2013!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What would be the point of fixing it?
    How would this benefit Disney?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    What would be the point of fixing it?
    How would this benefit Disney?
    It would assure the quality of the shows would not drop below a certain level. If the shows become a joke the attraction would be doomed.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I think the risk of bad PR from fixing the competition is so incredibly high -- utterly mind-blowingly high -- that there is no chance whatsoever that it is fixed.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Post Thanks / Like

I just couldn't believe how much vocal support the second contestant had. It reminded me of when Ashley Simpson was singing along with her own voice during Saturday Night Live. It was bizarre.

Amy

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the Disney version is "fixed"..................
    But that bombastic, self-indulged program on Fox certainly is.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with bicker.

... and I agree with your tag line not to take it personally.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I had the privilege of being with someone who auditioned. (Prince Charming had too low of a voice to go on.. but they did enjoy him enough to give him a second song.)

We were told by the lady helping us prepare that a 60 year old man has been a winner in the past. Although he couldn't use his Dream Ticket, he was still able to accept the prize.

While we were in line, there was no shortage of people auditioning, a girl ahead of us came outside to have the video of herself made. The director spent time coaching her on what to do and she didn't appear to have advanced knowledge. We went to watch the next show to see how she did and she was the winner, but of the 3 she was the better singer, I voted for her. She and another girl had family in the audience. The 3rd singer seemed a little more rehearsed (as though she may have performed before) and claimed to be traveling alone. The one judge was mean to her. But even seeing that, I'm not sure they'd have a back up plan if there is not enough talent, she may have just had stage experience. I'd think with enough repeat visitors people would catch on to seeing the same singers more than once.

They definitely lay it all out for you when your auditioning and tell you what the prizes are and how you'll spend the rest of your day if you move on. There is hair, makeup, rehearsing and a final show if you move on. You have to agree to all that before auditioning.

As a side note: I was pretty sure I recognized the female judge as an actress from The Adventurers Club. Kongaloosh!
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny, we thought they arranged it so the last contestant won, because that happened both times.

The video piece for the second contestant didn't help either one win. The fans cheering outside bit didn't play back right the second time, and the humor the singer showed in reaction might have helped her cause.
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bicker View Post
    I think the risk of bad PR from fixing the competition is so incredibly high -- utterly mind-blowingly high -- that there is no chance whatsoever that it is fixed.
    I would have to logically agree, but for some reason I just can shake the feeling it's fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't imagine it would be fixed, but I could imagine that a lot of locals interested in being "discovered" or just showing off, or winning something, with time on their hands might show up again and again, maybe with friends in support, maybe even becoming known to cast members.

When they were running Millionaire, I never heard anyone suggest it was fixed (my husband was a contestant, and he didn't get any help or breaks) but there were people who showed up who told us they came to the park to try to get in the hot seat (they were local). They were spending all day at that one attraction, and this was something they indicated they did frequently (and they knew others who did as well). So, I assume that the same thing happens with the AI experience. It's weird to me. I can't imagine going and hanging out all day at one attraction. But apparently, there are people out there who will.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I think it can readily be more fun, or otherwise more satisfying, to think that it is fixed, especially if one's preferred contestant doesn't win.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Post Thanks / Like

Do they allow video taping of the shows and if not are they very strict enforcing the ban? The reason is, there are very few performances available on You Tube. You would think many would tape their performance and post it. The few that are on You Tube appear to be well polished acts, not what you would expect from a tourist off the street.
    There is also a video by Disney on You Tube, taking you through the audition process. You can just sing any song, there is a list of 200 songs to pick from.
    My guess is that there are "ringers".
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I think it can readily be more fun, or otherwise more satisfying, to think that it is fixed, especially if one's preferred contestant doesn't win.

I can assure you that's not behind my feelings on it, because I really just don't care that much.

I've enjoyed the attraction both times I went, but something just seems...off.

1326 miles from the most magical place on earth
    Post Thanks / Like

I've enjoyed the attraction both times I went, but something just seems...off. [/QUOTE]

I happen to agree something does seem off on this show. I've seen it twice and felt it both times.
    July'05 - Offsite
    July '06 - AKl
    April '07 - offsite
    July 08 ~ AKV!
    April 09 - SSR 1st time as DVC Member!
    July 09 - AKL-Kadani Village/SSR...
    Dec.'09- AKV
    May '10- Beach Club
    June '11- AKL
    July '13- AKL
    Feb 14 - Wilderness Lodge/Bay Lake Towers
    October 15-AKL

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of things may be happening here.

1) If it's a slow day, and they don't have enough people in the park to audtion and fill all the shows, Disney may actually put in a castmember or two in the show, just so it will have a good entertainment value. I know they did this when they were in the initial tests for this show, but I haven't heard if they still do this. If they do, I don't think they do this it "fix" the show, so much as it's just to fill it with decent singers. Sure, the audience may vote them the winner, but that's just the way the voting goes. It's possible that you saw a castmember who was posing as a performer that has some (backing) vocal tracks added. I think Disney restricts them from being able to win a front of line ticket.

2) The shows probably follow a standard template as to how they're put together and in what order things are shown. In other words, they follow a set format of video interview/clips, on-stage interview, etc. The "producer" may have some flexibility in how they run it, but probably not a lot. So, throughout the day, they're piecing all the clips together, and lining up people for each show. Consider that they have 7 shows throughout the day they have to put together in very a limited amount of time. They don't have the luxury of being able to do a lot of takes or special videos.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Do they allow video taping of the shows and if not are they very strict enforcing the ban? The reason is, there are very few performances available on You Tube. You would think many would tape their performance and post it. The few that are on You Tube appear to be well polished acts, not what you would expect from a tourist off the street.
    There is also a video by Disney on You Tube, taking you through the audition process. You can just sing any song, there is a list of 200 songs to pick from.
    My guess is that there are "ringers".
    Nope -- no video taping or photography once the show starts. It seems that they were fairly strict on the other rules -- so I assume that they would be on that also. I did snap a few shots soon after entering of the stage and such. BTW I was in your neck of the woods last Sunday at St Louis Mills Mall.
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I think, given your name here, that you are trying to provoke a reaction. So here's my reaction. All I've said is that the second contestant was the only one with strong background vocal support of the melody, to the point that I sometimes couldn't hear the actual contestant's voice. Neither of the other two contestants received background help on the melody. Those are objective facts. I'm asking for people's experience with the game and their subjective opinions as to why this might have been so.

Amy

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: