Quantcast Is the American Idol Experience "fixed"? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen the show only once and two of the contestants were children (under 16). The "adult" (I think she was 20-something) was okay (she said she was a theater major) and won.

I tried to take my sister to the show on our last trip but the show we wanted to go to was cancelled due to "production difficulties" according to the cast member out front of the attraction. My sister teased the CM that it was because they didn't have enough auditioners to make a show (it had rained all morning and the park was fairly empty). The CM laughed and asked if we wanted to audition.

I would be interested in seeing the final show some time.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

After standing in line with all those people, I have to tell you.. I didn't talk to one that hadn't been a singer in come capacity, either in a band or in musical theatre. Every one I spoke to had prior singing experience. So, the fact that they might be good and able to perform didn't surprise me. I can imagine if you lived near by and wanted that ticket, you'd keep trying.

It would be cool to hear from someone that actually won.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

My father too thought the show was fixed that the video of the person and people chanting their name etc was just a way to have voting more in their favor....he didn't like it very much nor does he watch the show on TV. That person during our show ended up winning that time.

While I can see some favoritism in certain aspects of it I think for the most part its okay. Definitely has some entertainment value which is what they are looking for. The young girl that sang when I was there and had the most chance of actually making it through auditions on the real AI seemed like she was just there for this attraction. She had no family with her, was dressed the part etc.

I wish that this attraction would just allow people to perform that actually was within the age range to actually be on AI. I know that they can't do this because of park attendance and whatever...but still. When someone older makes it, I just feel like its a waste of time to the ones that really have the opportunity to actually try out for the real deal.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    I wish that this attraction would just allow people to perform that actually was within the age range to actually be on AI. I know that they can't do this because of park attendance and whatever...but still. When someone older makes it, I just feel like its a waste of time to the ones that really have the opportunity to actually try out for the real deal.
    I see this in a completely different way. I like the idea that anyone can audition. Getting a chance to pretend to be on American Idol and/or perform in front of a large number of people is probably a dream for a lot of people, no matter what their age (although the idea would terrify me). And they're not competing for a shot at a singing career, just a Dream Ticket and the satisfaction of saying they were in the show.

If someone wants to get on the real American Idol, all they have to do is go to the auditions, like everyone else. Like the one they had last summer in Orlando, as a matter of fact.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Getting a chance to pretend to be on American Idol and/or perform in front of a large number of people is probably a dream for a lot of people, no matter what their age (although the idea would terrify me).
    Not to mention that it will make for some great vacation memories for years to come.
    I agree with you though, it would terrify me to death.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bicker View Post
    I think the risk of bad PR from fixing the competition is so incredibly high -- utterly mind-blowingly high -- that there is no chance whatsoever that it is fixed.
    Right...just like there was no way those game shows back in the 1950s could possibly have been fixed. But they were.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

And because of that, that sort of thing doesn't happen anymore. Too many people are watching now. Though, again, I do acknowledge that it more fun to accuse producers of doing bad things.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Post Thanks / Like

The benefit of fixing it would have to outweigh the risk, and what is the benefit to WDW? There's more benefit to them in letting random guests win a shot at this.

In the case of the fixed 50s game shows, the benefit was ratings- getting that same TV audience to keep tuning in. This is a constantly changing audience. People aren't showing up to see any particular performer, or even to see a great performance. It's about the experience. To fix it would be to take that experience away from actual guests, and there's no benefit to WDW of doing that. There's far more risk in being charged with rigging it. It's not that I'm naive to think it can't happen. It's that I can't even imagine why they would.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I don't watch the AI TV show, so just curious what the age range is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    I don't watch the AI TV show, so just curious what the age range is.
    The current age range for the real American Idol is 16-28.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I see this in a completely different way. I like the idea that anyone can audition. Getting a chance to pretend to be on American Idol and/or perform in front of a large number of people is probably a dream for a lot of people, no matter what their age (although the idea would terrify me). And they're not competing for a shot at a singing career, just a Dream Ticket and the satisfaction of saying they were in the show.

If someone wants to get on the real American Idol, all they have to do is go to the auditions, like everyone else. Like the one they had last summer in Orlando, as a matter of fact.
    well apparantly they even let out of the age range people audition on the real show...hence mr pants on the ground. LOL
    I'm just saying that the goal is to get a dream ticket to american idol (the tv show) they should at least qualify....but then again they don't even do this for the real show....so it doesn't really matter.....its all for an entertainment value.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

well apparantly they even let out of the age range people audition on the real show...hence mr pants on the ground. LOL
    Now there is talk that this was a set up for the publicity.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just saying that the goal is to get a dream ticket to american idol (the tv show) they should at least qualify....but then again they don't even do this for the real show....so it doesn't really matter.....its all for an entertainment value.
    This isn't the first time they've allowed someone outside the age range to audition. Technically, anyone can audition, they just can't be a contestant unless they're between the ages of 16 and 28. But yes, you're right, it's all for entertainment value. If the producer(s) think a contestant is entertaining (good or bad) then they will put them on TV regardless of their age.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mousefever View Post
    We went to the American Idol Experience for the first time yesterday. By the end, I couldn't help but think that the whole process is fixed before the three contestants take the stage.

During the second contestant's song, which was "This is Me" from Camp Rock, I noticed that I could barely hear the girl's voice over the back up vocals. What I could hear was good, but when her voice faded out, the back up vocals made it sound as if she was singing strongly. It was very strange. The other two contestants were on their own, in that they had to carry the melody on the merits of their voice.

I also noticed that the second contestant was the only one who had a video montage of herself before she sang.

The second contestant was the winner. (Surprise) I ended up feeling really annoyed that I hadn't really had the chance to hear her sing, because I think she had a decent voice and might have won without the "help".

Has anyone else ever noticed this on the American Idol Experience?

Amy
    Amy, when did you go??? I'm pretty sure we were at that same show!

Was the first girl Argentinian and sang Feel Like a Woman and the third girl was from PA and sang Best of Both Worlds?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been or seen it at DHS and have desire to do so. What is Disney going to do when Simon Cowell leaves AI after this season? Do you think the show will last without him. I really doubt it. I think Disney jumped on the band wagon a little late. If Idol tanks after he leaves. I think Disney will have another building to fill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSad View Post
    I have never been or seen it at DHS and have desire to do so. What is Disney going to do when Simon Cowell leaves AI after this season? Do you think the show will last without him. I really doubt it. I think Disney jumped on the band wagon a little late. If Idol tanks after he leaves. I think Disney will have another building to fill.
    I'm not sure what kind of contract Disney signed with 19, but they could easily re-theme/brand the building and call it Disney Idol. Or, they may be able to keep the name and continue running the show as-is for a period of time, even if the TV version goes off the air. However, I don't necessarily think that just because Simon leaves, the show will tank. There are still thousands of people who think they can sing and are eager to try and get their chance to do it and win a record contract. And, the public likes watching them try, regardless of the judges. Sure, the judges help make it interesting and entertaining, but people tune in from week to week to watch people either make fools of themselves or win the big prize.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Amy, when did you go??? I'm pretty sure we were at that same show!

Was the first girl Argentinian and sang Feel Like a Woman and the third girl was from PA and sang Best of Both Worlds?
    Yes! That's so funny Ian! I thought the second girl was probably the best of the three, but I was so surprised at how much vocal support she got. To the point where I couldn't hear her over the background singing. What did you think?

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSad View Post
    The show (at Disney Hollywood Studios) is actually pretty fun to watch; the hosts are a big part of that. You might want to check it out sometime.

You're right that Disney jumped on the bandwagon a little late. But then again, most of the shows that I remember them developing in that building only lasted a couple of years at most.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mousefever View Post
    Yes! That's so funny Ian! I thought the second girl was probably the best of the three, but I was so surprised at how much vocal support she got. To the point where I couldn't hear her over the background singing. What did you think?

Amy
    I said the exact same thing when we left. It was really striking how loud the backing track and vocals were for her as compared to the other two.

The thing is, I voted for her, and I thought she had the best voice overall (which, let's face it, isn't saying much because the other two were pretty bad), but she really lacked power.

I think it was definitely intentional that her track was up so high, so it could cover her lack of oomph.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The benefit of fixing it would have to outweigh the risk, and what is the benefit to WDW? There's more benefit to them in letting random guests win a shot at this.

In the case of the fixed 50s game shows, the benefit was ratings- getting that same TV audience to keep tuning in. This is a constantly changing audience. People aren't showing up to see any particular performer, or even to see a great performance. It's about the experience. To fix it would be to take that experience away from actual guests, and there's no benefit to WDW of doing that. There's far more risk in being charged with rigging it. It's not that I'm naive to think it can't happen. It's that I can't even imagine why they would.
    I don't know if this is really comparing apples to apples, but when I made it to the floor of Who Wants to be a Millionaire a few years back, after I was done competing I had to go in the back & sign a ton of legal papers which I was told would be on file with both the Disney Company and the Florida Gaming Board. No, I didn't win a cruise . . . I won a baseball hat & some pins.

Because there is a "prize" to win at Idol - or at the very least, it's a contest - I'll bet the participants (and Disney) have to go through the same type of legal stuff I had to do when I played "Millionaire". Rigging the contest would have dire consequences for Disney, and I just can't see them playing in such murky water.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: