Quantcast Playhouse Disney to be known as Disney Junior - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why must Disney always change things? I love PLAYHOUSE DISNEY! Why change the name to Disney Jr? And I have to agree the shows five years ago were better. Rollie Pollie, Stanley, PB&J Otter, JoJo, Out of the Box and Bear were awesome shows for the kids! Its almost like Disney isn't being very creative with the shows they have on now. I'm not saying my kids don't enjoy them but I find they are not a good as the older shows.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a poor decision. Keep it Playhouse Disney and make it better. They could bring back some of the old shows like Bear in the Big Blue House and Rollie Pollie Ollie. Changing the name gives the appearance of doing something without really doing anything other than spending money. It's not the name of the block that's the problem, it's what's on during the block.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Maybe it would have been better just to leave the word stupid out of it - but I totally get what he's saying....
    I agree that Ian's post would have been fine if he had left out the part about calling people "stupid". Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Peace.
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

Post Thanks / Like

Having a one year old, I'm just now getting introduced to Playhouse. And I gotta say - I'm kinda ticked with this rebranding thing. And my first thought was - why follow in the footsteps of Nick by using the name Junior? Disney is supposed to be a leader, not a follower.

One thing I like a lot - the idea of this programming getting its own channel. It always bums me out when the programming switches suddenly from MMCH to Phineas and Ferb. Major whiplash!
    Shelley, Happy DW of bear_necessity.
    DVC owners: SSR since 2007
    Remain seated please. Permenecer sentados, por favor.

Last trip: DLHotel in May
    Next trip: ?? Vero maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I like a lot - the idea of this programming getting its own channel. It always bums me out when the programming switches suddenly from MMCH to Phineas and Ferb. Major whiplash!
    I completely agree. Although Phineas and Ferb is my personal favorite cartoon, there doesn't seem to be enough for little kids in the afternoon. To be honest, I think that PBS has the best lineup right now of educational cartoon shows (Clifford, SuperWhy, Curious George). It is certainly as good as Playhouse Disney. What I find really tiring is how Hannah Montana takes over after 3PM. I think having a Disney channel for Preschool should help this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mammabruski View Post
    I agree that Ian's post would have been fine if he had left out the part about calling people "stupid". Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Peace.
    Again ... you're sort of missing the intent of my post. I didn't call anyone stupid. I was sarcasticly implying that Disney management treats their customers as if they're stupid.

I apologize again if you misinterpreted what I said, but I honestly felt like it was pretty obvious that I was being sarcastic.

But just so we're clear and there's no hurt feelings, I was not calling anybody stupid. In fact, my intent was the opposite ... I was trying to say that I don't feel like Disney's audience is stupid and that they're not going to fall for simply slapping a new name on the same (IMO) sub-par shows. It was a "lipstick on a pig" reference.

Hopefully that will clear things up so we can put this whole thing to bed.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So, I guess what no one has bothered to point out is, this isn't just a "rebranding" of the current line up. Disney Junior is the name of the ENTIRE CHANNEL.

Disney XD is the "new" channel for older kids.

They obviously had to create these new names to distinguish the two channels. They couldn't continue to call it Disney Channel. And, I can see how naming a channel "Playhouse Disney" would not be so smart. After all, the first word in the name of the channel should be indicative of what the channel is all about, for "search" purposes. I.E. FOOD Network, DISCOVERY channel, HOME & GARDEN t.v., etc.

Could they have come up with a better name? Maybe. But, I think it's a decent attempt and does convey what the CHANNEL is all about.

I'm happy they have decided to dedicate programming to this age group for the entire day/night. My kids don't typically watch "morning" television. They watch t.v. towards the late afternoon, while I am making dinner, and they are winding down and tired. I hate that they watch the same stuff over and over that we have on dvd and/or on our DVR (playhouse disney shows!). The availability of appropriate programming in the late afternoon hours is just horrible. This is going to change that. Not all little kids watch Japanese anime or garbage like "Hannah Montana".
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quick story:
    My son (almost 3) loves the Imagination Movers. No, let me rephrase that...my son loves the Imagination Movers the way 15 year old girls loved the Beatles and Elvis. When they come on, he jumps up and down, grabs his toy guitars and drums and starts singing along. Unfortunately, they've moved them to his nap time. BUT, when we were in WDW this summer, we were at the store across from the Playhouse Disney Live show, and asked FIVE different cast members if there was any Imagination Movers merchandise, and none of them had even heard of the show. I think Disney's commitment to Playhouse Disney/Disney Jr. is clearly a low priority. And this rebranding, along with Chuggington, Jungle Junction, Timmy Time...it just makes it obvious that cutting corners and doing things on the cheap is the modus operandi. And guess what...they won. They were right. We still watch. Now, if Disney Jr. brings back classic cartoons, House of Mouse, Out of the Box...then we're talking. Of course, getting Disney Jr. is going to cost us more money, but that would make it worth it.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

BrerSchultzy...you need to take your son to an Imagination Movers concert if you can. We saw them last year in Dec (our kids were 5 and 3) and it was AWESOME! Great show, even for us parents.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    So, I guess what no one has bothered to point out is, this isn't just a "rebranding" of the current line up. Disney Junior is the name of the ENTIRE CHANNEL.
    A fair and important point. And I agree ... I'm also happy that they're fully separating the "junior" content from the "tweener" content.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerSchultzy View Post
    Quick story:
    My son (almost 3) loves the Imagination Movers. No, let me rephrase that...my son loves the Imagination Movers the way 15 year old girls loved the Beatles and Elvis. When they come on, he jumps up and down, grabs his toy guitars and drums and starts singing along. Unfortunately, they've moved them to his nap time. BUT, when we were in WDW this summer, we were at the store across from the Playhouse Disney Live show, and asked FIVE different cast members if there was any Imagination Movers merchandise, and none of them had even heard of the show.
    Yeah I have to say ... I've always found it completely mystifying how slow Disney is in bringing merchandise to market.

I distinctly remember when JoJo first got hot DD wanted JoJo anything and you couldn't find a single, solitary toy, doll, playset, or toy anywhere. It took months for it to hit the stores and by then she was kinda like, "Eh"
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    A fair and important point. And I agree ... I'm also happy that they're fully separating the "junior" content from the "tweener" content.

Yeah I have to say ... I've always found it completely mystifying how slow Disney is in bringing merchandise to market.

I distinctly remember when JoJo first got hot DD wanted JoJo anything and you couldn't find a single, solitary toy, doll, playset, or toy anywhere. It took months for it to hit the stores and by then she was kinda like, "Eh"
    Disney always likes to release stuff, but never have the merch ready to do it! sorta drives me insane but i know it'll never change
    Just call me Jen ;)

2/11-8/11: WDWCP DHS Attractions - GMR
    Current - GMR/JTA/Star Tours

Previous Trips:
    10/21/10-10/24/10 - Halloween Party
    9/10/10-9/12/10 - Tink Weekend :D
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007
    Many, Many more....

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Possible View Post
    Disney always likes to release stuff, but never have the merch ready to do it! sorta drives me insane but i know it'll never change
    I know ... it's maddening as a parent.

I feel the same way about the theme parks. By FAR Cars has been one of the most successful Disney/Pixar animated films of all time. So why in the world is there not a single Cars themed attraction anywhere in Walt Disney World??
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

So if they're separating Disney Channel and Disney Jr, would the morning Disney Jr block stay or would Disney reprogram the block?
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I know ... it's maddening as a parent.

I feel the same way about the theme parks. By FAR Cars has been one of the most successful Disney/Pixar animated films of all time. So why in the world is there not a single Cars themed attraction anywhere in Walt Disney World??
    There's plenty of Cars merchandise though...

Why not an attraction? Because they are probably going to use DCA as a guinea pig to see how successful (or not) CARS Land will be. I sort of wonder if they've been secretly plotting to throw a Cars land into DHS in the near future. That park needs some serious help, and Pixar seems to be slowly taking over in the back. I, for one, would not mind the completely gutting the back of the park, removing the Motor stunt show and the entire Backlot tour attraction. That would be plently of space for Cars Land.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I sort of wonder if they've been secretly plotting to throw a Cars land into DHS in the near future. That park needs some serious help, and Pixar seems to be slowly taking over in the back. I, for one, would not mind the completely gutting the back of the park, removing the Motor stunt show and the entire Backlot tour attraction. That would be plently of space for Cars Land.
    I highly agree!!!! That would be so great to do that there!! I don't know anyone who wouldn't be happy with Cars Land!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

There's plenty of Cars merchandise though...

Why not an attraction? Because they are probably going to use DCA as a guinea pig to see how successful (or not) CARS Land will be. I sort of wonder if they've been secretly plotting to throw a Cars land into DHS in the near future. That park needs some serious help, and Pixar seems to be slowly taking over in the back. I, for one, would not mind the completely gutting the back of the park, removing the Motor stunt show and the entire Backlot tour attraction. That would be plently of space for Cars Land.
    I definitely agree that they're using DCA as a test bed (albeit an expensive one).

Not sure I see them ripping out LMA, though. They just installed that not all that long ago. Also, I don't have any real insight into how popular it is. We went once, find the entire process sort of annoying, and haven't been back since.

But I do agree it would fit best at the Studios. I wonder if they chucked the Backlot Tour area (which is sort of silly anyway now that the place is no longer a working studio) if that would give them enough space to do something Cars there.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares what it's called. I actually think Disney Junior is better than Playhouse Disney. I mean, WHAT playhouse? There is no playhouse...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Qk6...eature=related

When Playhouse Disney first came about, this was the 'playhouse'.
    Does it get any better than this?
    Yeah. I thought so :)

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ian. Playhouse Disney has been in a downward spiral over the last few years, while Noggin/Nick Jr. and Sprout have skyrocketed past them as the channel for younger kids. My daughter (7 now) loved Playhouse Disney when Bear, Rollie Pollie Olie, little Einsteins, JoJo and PB&J Otter were on. My son (5 now) watched some of those, but then started watching Sprout and Noggin instead (he liked Max and Ruby, Backyardigans, Wonder Pets and the other Sprout stuff). My 3 year old son only watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and prefers everything on Nick Jr. In fact, our TV in the kids playroom rarely changes from Nick Jr. except for the occasional viewing of Little Einsteins on On Demand. PH Disney's programming started to lack quality and started to rotate out too much that none of my kids could really count on their favorite program being on there or even consistent time....especially in the evening hours. Now, they think of Nick jr. and Sprout for those shows and not Disney, which is kind of sad that Disney let itself be squeezed out of the marketplace like that.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Qk6...eature=related

When Playhouse Disney first came about, this was the 'playhouse'.
    Wow...that was annoying.

But thanks for clearing that up for me. That always bugged me!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...that was annoying.
    I am speechless. I wish that I had never watched that. Yikes.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: