Quantcast Newbies who miss room/dining discounts

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbies who miss room/dining discounts

I wonder how many newbies on Disney's web site actually miss the room discounts or free dining available. While there are adds for free dining it certainly doesn't direct you immediately to the room offers available. To get the discount you have to take the right path. With only two of us staying at the GF, that's the better deal. I'm not sure how they handle it if you call for reservations. Do they inform you of discounts available if you don't ask??? I'm always trying to keep first time visitors aware of what's available. But I know there are some naïve folks getting burned!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't been on WDW website in a while, and it looks like its changes a bit since I last used it. They used to be pretty good about having pop-ups and fairly easy to find advertising on their front page to "hurry up and check out these deals, they won't last long" with the Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland next to the ad. Just looking at the website now, that's still there, but certainly not as obvious.

I would think that if you called to book a room, that you'd have to be proactive about asking for deals, especially if your initial request didn't meet the parameters for the existing program discounts.

It would be interesting to know whether or not they'd tell you, if say I called up and said I wanted to book a 7 night MYW package (at an eligible resort) if they would tell me that free dining is an option, of if I didn't ask that they'd just book it at rack rate.

I think most newbies miss out more on what happens after you get the discount. One year we were down during a free dining period and I saw and heard many families trying to get reservations for dinners at the concierge only to find out everything was booked and that they had no idea they could book 180 days out.

Post Thanks / Like

I always call to make our reservations and in seven trips they have never offered up the information on a discount. If I mention it, OH, sure! But, if not...nothing is given.

Nice of you to put the word out to the unsuspecting.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I was told by a cast member that they will not tell you about a discount, you have to ask. I'm not sure if you have to ask about a specific discount, or just ask if any are available (I knew what options were available when I called).
    Stephanie

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

2/11- ASMo (Princess half!)
    2/10- FW
    2/09 - FW
    10/07 - FW
    10/06 - FW
    10/05 - FW
    5/04 - Cabins at FW
    3/03 - Cabins at FW
    3/01 - Off-site
    3/98 - FW
    6/95 - FW
    3/90 - FW
    10/85 (first trip!) - FW

Opus X Guest

I could not comprehend not getting a discount..or worse...miss one that was available. It can only happen if a person has absolutely NO idea what they are doing. All you have to do is call and ask.
    VERY elementary.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is pretty much an across the board tactic. No matter where you call or what you're calling for you're never offered the cheapest price without asking. Even simply ordering a piece of clothing online, I always google for a coupon beforehand.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I think this is pretty much an across the board tactic. No matter where you call or what you're calling for you're never offered the cheapest price without asking. Even simply ordering a piece of clothing online, I always google for a coupon beforehand.
    Yep.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I always use Magical Journeys!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    This is why I always use Magical Journeys!
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago (among my last calls to WDW for booking), the CM on the phone would not give me the FL resident discount unless I could specfically reference the discount code. Sounds like this is not the case any longer. As others have said, I just contact MJ now.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

In my pre-Intercot days I booked a trip with WDW Travel and then noticed a discount on the website. It took me several hours on the phone to finally get the discount applied. It was a real hassle.

I am sure this happens to a lot of first timers that have not heard of Magical Journeys. I can't say enough nice things about Magical Journeys.

I don't always go with the other Icot sponsors but Magical Journeys is the best! Our agent is even helpful in the pre-trip planning. We are working on a trip for Sept 2014 and already running through a bunch of different scenarios with Terrisue.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I must have been very lucky when we found a discount for August a couple years ago. I called, told the CM what discount I found and he happily made the change. Not only that, he changed my brother in laws, who was traveling with us, to the discount just by me giving them his reservation number. But...when I made my reservation for December this year I waited to see what kind of discount there was before I booked. I guess I mostly waited because I couldn't afford it without the discount and I didn't want to cancel if nothing came up. That would have crushed me!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledraf View Post
    I wonder how many newbies on Disney's web site actually miss the room discounts or free dining available. While there are adds for free dining it certainly doesn't direct you immediately to the room offers available. To get the discount you have to take the right path. With only two of us staying at the GF, that's the better deal. I'm not sure how they handle it if you call for reservations. Do they inform you of discounts available if you don't ask??? I'm always trying to keep first time visitors aware of what's available. But I know there are some naïve folks getting burned!
    I had a friend who I offered to help with her Disney vacation because she was paying way too much for everything from onsite hotel to airfare. She told me she was more comfortable doing it herself. I figured out that she spent about $1800 more than she needed to, getting the same hotel and flights. But whatever!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

It's crazy. Rule of thumb is DO NOT book anything on the Disney website. Research flights yourself, even explore doing one way flights with different airlines for better rates, or combine with miles. Magical Journeys will always find you the best rate. If you are set on calling and making your own reservation, definitely make sure you ask for promotions first, they will push you to book everything right away. Ask for AAA rates at offsite hotels, or tell them you are a veteran, nurse, or teacher and there are discounts, upgrades or breakfast included. For Park passes try undercover tourist, they have deals including a free extra day in the park. Check with your company if you have a corporate discount to sites that sell park passes. There is a limit to the discounts you can get, and you may have to sacrifice the magical express, but you will definitely pay way too much booking everything through disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mogie View Post
    It's crazy. Rule of thumb is DO NOT book anything on the Disney website.
    I've often booked through the website with no issues. Of course, I'm aware of what offers are available first and make sure I select them while booking.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when I booked our first trip back in 2007.
    I was 25 with two small kids (5 and 1) and never had a clue what I was doing, never even knew sites like intercot existed, booked without any discounts as again, never thought something like that existed (I was a very naive traveler at this point).
    I think I paid close to $8000 or $9000, seriously (including our airfare which for us would have probably been about $5000, maybe more for the 4 of us considering we booked without thinking about travel seasons, crazy). we stayed at ASMu and I'm pretty sure we had 7 day park hoppers (cause you know with 2 small kids that makes perfect sense ). we booked directly on the disney site and the airlines' site and never knew to look for discounts.
    It seemed like a lot to spend at the time but hey, you only go to Disney world once, right?

Ahh the good ol' days!
    Apr 2007 - ASMu
    Apr 2008 - Offsite
    Nov 2009 - ASMu
    Feb 2011 - CBR
    Aug 2011 - ASMu
    Aug 2012 - POFQ
    Sept 2013 - POR/AKV
    Mar 2014 - AKV
    Aug 2014 - AKV
    June 2015 - VGC/Aulani
    Nov 2015 - POP
    Aug 2016 - CSR/AKV
    Oct 2017 - AKV/BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I've often booked through the website with no issues. Of course, I'm aware of what offers are available first and make sure I select them while booking.
    Same here. And more than once I have called with discounts or freebies (this year's DDP) and made changes with no trouble whatsoever.

One thing I will NEVER do is book airfare through Disney. NEVER DO THAT! I booked airfare independently this year and it was literally half the cost. Different airline, but similar times, HALF!
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a problem booking through disney. Last year we booked our honeymoon well before free dining was released. Calling disney directly to update the reservation with the discount the morning it was released was quick, easy and painless.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No discounts?

No discount luck here! Made our res back in February of this year for an upcoming trip. I've been watching and waiting, checking multiple sites for offers to be released. The day the fall offers came out for FDD and room discount I called and by 9:30 am there were no room discounts available. And of course, the FDD is offered the week before and after our trip.

I did get a great deal from Southwest Airlines! So definitely book your own flight.
    WDW - offsite 1979
    WDW - offsite 1995 & 1997
    WDW - offsite 12/2007
    WDW - WL 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shea&Sky'smom View Post
    No discount luck here! Made our res back in February of this year for an upcoming trip. I've been watching and waiting, checking multiple sites for offers to be released. The day the fall offers came out for FDD and room discount I called and by 9:30 am there were no room discounts available. And of course, the FDD is offered the week before and after our trip.
    Have you checked back on the room discount? There were some system issues the first day but they were later resolved. There's always a chance something is still open even if you need to change categories.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: