Quantcast Do you tip your mousekeeper? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppysmom View Post
    I thought it was against Disney policy for their employees to accept tips? Is this just solely for CM's in the parks? When we stay at SOG we do tip for services we utilize. We've tried to tip in the parks, but the only ones who can accept them are servers at the sit down restaurants. Do the mousekeepers and restaurant servers belong to the same category of employees?
    Just out of curiosity, who are you trying to tip in the parks (excluding servers)?

Technically, I believe housekeeping is a NON tipped position. But, I find that ridiculous. I always leave a tip. It has never still been there when I get back to the room...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Coming from the service industry I understand how important tips can be. 5$ per day and a little extra on the final night. Year after year we have had nothing but great mousekeeping experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppysmom View Post
    I thought it was against Disney policy for their employees to accept tips?
    This only applies to certain employees. Tipped positions include bell services, valet, waiter/waitress. Mousekeeping is considered a non-tipped position, however I believe their contract allows them to keep tips that are left by guests. Other non-tipped positions like front desk CM's, concierge, etc. risk losing their jobs if they accept a tip and do not turn it in.

In the US, I think we're just programmed to leave tips for everyone. In other countries that we've visited, it can actually be considered an insult to tip. Do whatever you feel comfortable doing and I don't think it needs to be justified one way or the other. If a CM does however decline your offer to tip, I wouldn't push it. Instead, get their full name and send a letter to their supervisor specifying what a great job they did for you. During review time, that letter can be very helpful with pay raises and promotions.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

We always tip....at least $2 per day or more for my husband and I. I also fix up nice little envelopes before I leave home. I decorate them with Disney character stickers and also have a message printed on them that usually states something like "Thank you Mousekeeper for making our stay so pleasant" and then I go ahead and put the money in them ahead of time as well. When we get to the hotel we put the envelopes in the safe. It is so easy to just pull one of them out every morning. We have always gotten excellent service from our mousekeepers!
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

We don't like using housekeeping's services (other than before we get there and after we leave), especially as we don't stay more than a few days at a time, aren't messy, and prefer the privacy and security of not having a stranger in our room. So we feel we aren't putting any extra duties on them. We even "clean up" before we leave.

I admit I didn't know tipping was expected till I was in my 30's, but I try to leave a nice tip because these people are usually woefully underpaid.

I'm torn because tipping only allows companies like Disney to pay low wages and rely on us to keep their help from quitting over it, even though we're being charged a premium price. Still , it's not the workers' fault. So I tip. I usually tip enough for it to put a smile on their face. I certainly don't do it to get better service. I figure anyone who can shell out $200 or $300 a night can afford to leave a $20 on the nightstand at the end of a 3 night stay for someone who makes that much in 3 hours.

Everyone wants excellent housekeeping, but you have to realize that many of these people have a tough job for crummy pay. That is depressing, and depressed workers do not always do their best. So, if everyone did their bit (including disney) service would be better.

On general principle, I agree with Resevoir Dog's Mr. Pink on the concept of tipping. But the reality is the little guys out there get screwed and if they do a good job I don't mind helping out.

Do keep in mind however that a housekeeper might handle 12 or more rooms a day. So even $2/night is a considerable supplement to their wages.

Post Thanks / Like

Our first trip we stayed offsite and did not tip. The room spelled like mildew. The second trip we stayed at POR and again did not tip. I had never heard of tipping housekeeping until visiting Intercot. Our mousekeeping at POR was not very good. Im not sure what Disneys policy is on changing sheets for a week long stay but I would think if you see the sheets are dirty you would change them. This didn't happen at POR. My daughter had dropped chocolate on the sheets and they made the bed without changing the sheets.

Im sure at WL we will tip but we will also expect Deluxe service.
    Me DD 15 DD 15 DS17 DH

MARCH 2008 OFFSITE
    ME, DS13 DD13 DS15

MARCH 2009 POR
    ME, DH DD14 DD14

SEPTEMBER 2011
    ME, DH, DD15 DD15
    16TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION

Post Thanks / Like

We tip everyday about 1 or 2 bucks. I found in the past on the days we don't tip we don't get towel animals or extra towels. However when we tip we get lots of extras.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

We tip $1 per person per day, leaving the tip each day of our stay since the housekeeper may not be the same person each day.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

We typically do $1 per person per day. My kids have always made up notes ahead of time to leave. We tip at all hotels we stay in, never expecting something in return. We tip our cleaning people and our garbage collectors as well. Just a nice gesture.

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic. My DW and I never thought about tipping, but I think it is worthwhile. The Mousekeepers, I think, deserve it for the most part. Have there been days that our service have been less stellar then other, yes. However, I think it is a well needed at-a-boy for the behind the scenes folks who are rarely shown appreciation and make our visits more pleasant IMO...
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

It's true that housekeeping is generally a NON tipping position. I used to work for a hotel chain, and our housekeepers made above minimum wage - not the normal $2.50 or whatever servers make. This means that if everyone tips the housekeepers a couple bucks - they do pretty well! Regardless, I do still tip them when I have singles because it is a very hard job.

Post Thanks / Like

Like several others, we usually leave $1 per person/day. I do my best to keep the rooms neat, but with 6 kids I appreciate the daily clean up.

My kids always have a great time before our trip decorating the envelopes. They really put a lot of effort into it and it's just one of the little things that they look forward to doing.
    Christie

September 2007 - Pop Century

September 2009 - ASMu

September 17-24, 2011 - Off Property
    October 2014 - ???

Post Thanks / Like

We tip $5 per day as long as everything goes smooth. I have rarely had a problem with mousekeeping though. On the note I leave with the tip I may also ask for extra towels (on swimming days for an extra shower) or soap etc.. have always had my requests honored.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We tip each day that we are there. I think they
    do such a good job and are always willing to
    help with extra towels, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

We do $1/person per day each day.
    I also have notes IE towels only today or need new shampoo etc.. I do not think the same cleaning is needed each day, so I am explicit.
    POP' s staff have been excellent for the many visits we have made. I also thank any I chance to see by my door.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We always tip!
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Yes we tip our mousekeeper

We tip according to how many folks are in a room. If there are two folks, two dollars a day. Sometimes, we get the same mousekeeper, so we give an extra ten dollars at the end of our stay. Sometimes we need an extra towel or maybe extra soap, and the girls are always very accomodating. Yes, we always tip
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: