Quantcast Don't let them get the Hat, too. - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcjaco View Post
    ^^ Except that it's not bending facts. The castle is on the opposite side of the Hub. The Hub is at the end of Main Street.
    Sure it is, look at a map of Disney-MGM, the hat is obviously in a hub too, so it's also not technically at the end of the street.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hate the wand/hand.
    Hate the hat.
    Hate when they dress up the castle.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Can we take the hat and put it on top of the Epcot ball.....sort of a party hat for the 25th anniversary???
    1972-1998 Numerous off site
    2000 AS Sports
    2001 AS Sports
    2003 AS Music
    2003 Boardwalk
    2004 Swan
    2004 Beach Club Villas
    2005/06 (NYE) Beach Club Villas
    2006 Beach Club Villas
    2007 Beach Club Villas
    2008 Beach Club VIllas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Sure it is, look at a map of Disney-MGM, the hat is obviously in a hub too, so it's also not technically at the end of the street.

I was referencing MK. Yes, the hat is in the hub of MGM. If you can call it a hub.

I don't mind the hat, I'd like to see it in the Animation Courtyard where it'd fit better. Then the sightlines of Hollywood Blvd wouldn't be messed up. If it has to do with the theater, plant some trees to block it.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmcDuckRN View Post
    Also remember that the Icons are there to fulfill the place of "Weenie" to draw people down into the park rather than have them all bottle up at the entrance. They all fulfill their roles nicely.
    I agree with EmcDuckRN. Was the hat a marketing/park design solution? Yes. Is it that bad? Personally it was my least favorite but I don't hate it.

Like someone said previously, all you ever heard about SSE from the "unexperienced visitors" was "That's the park with the golf ball right?" So many people didn't get the earth representation part of SSE, so I'm guessing the wand did not bother those people at all. I am not looking forward to hearing people talk about the golf ball again.

That being said, the hat has always bothered me because
    a) there is no attraction in it, and
    b) when you take pictures from the entrance of the park you sometimes end up "wearing" a big hat!

But I do think it fits with the concept of Disney movie magic, because of it being the Sorcerer's hat and MGM has always featured Sorcerer Mickey over other Mickey roles.

Just my 2cents....
    Poly: Mar90, Jul91, Mar95, Dec98, Jul00 (future DH 1st trip!)
    WL: Oct02 (Honeymoon), Dec03, Feb07, Mar09 (DS 1st trip!)
    CSR: Oct05
    BWI: Sep08
    Other trips: Apr94,96 offsite, Aug99 Dolphin, May07 DL

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Apr10 Poly (20th WDW "Anniversary")

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by automation85 View Post
    Are you suggesting that the water tower was not good enough? I thought the whole point of MGM was to focus on everything Disney from a movie production point of view. The back lot, the animation studios...
    The Earful Tower, when decorated was nice, but never quite made iconic status. It just wasn't easily viewed from most parts of the park and the only time you could get near it was on the Backstage trolly. To be iconic, the symbol has to be more prominently placed than that and have more impact on your day in the park.

To me it always seemed that MGM was rushed into reality to be out there to compete with Universal which was considered a big threat at the time.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

i think the hat adds a sort of charm to the park. as with every other park the hat is the symbol that makes it disney. For example MK has Cinderella Castle, Epcot has SSE( which im not happy that there taking the wand down), AK has the Tree of Life, so its only fitting that MGM has a symbol which happens to be the sorceror hat. for all those people who think it doesnt really belong in front of the Chinese theater why not? The sorcer hat was in a movie and that movie is featured in the Great Move Ride. Not everything has to be exactly like the real thing otherwise people would go there instead of Disney. The hat gives MGM that "Disney Magic" and i think that the spot is very fitting!

Post Thanks / Like

Move the hat! It would make an excellent road cone...... I want to walk in the gates and see the theatre!!! There must be someone else it can go....
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess17 View Post
    \ for all those people who think it doesnt really belong in front of the Chinese theater why not? The sorcer hat was in a movie and that movie is featured in the Great Move Ride. Not everything has to be exactly like the real thing otherwise people would go there instead of Disney. The hat gives MGM that "Disney Magic" and i think that the spot is very fitting!
    The sorcerer's hat doesn't belong in its current location because it absolutely smothers the entrance to The Great Movie Ride. Not only does it obscure the view of the Mann's replica, it crowds it to the point where the entire theming is lost. When you look down the main entrance of the park, you can still see pieces of TGMR poking out from behind the Hat. It's like a small child who can't see SpectroMagic because some big oaf decided to plop down in front of them. The addition of the Hat/pin station caused a conflict in theming, because of the proximity to the existing structure behind it. Sight lines became skewed, an enormous shadow (both figuratively and literally) was cast on TGMR, and the entire theme of the Hollywood-that-never-was became disjointed.

When Disney/MGM Studios was rushed to opening, one of the few things that were worthy of praise was the entrance design/theme. This is why you find long-time fans of the park's design (any park for that matter) unhappy with the disruption that was caused by a poor decision to erect the hat/wand/birthday cake.

Post Thanks / Like

Post icons

I hated the big Epcot wand and hope it will be gone by mid September.

I didn't like the hat at first but now don't care either way. It really should be moved somewhere else though.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, am I surprised at the support for the hat! I never woulda thunk it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That hat is the most God-awful abomination in Disney history.
    Ian, I'm with you!!!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Maybe we "wand activists" tend to think that there is a literal giant hand guiding earth. The wand represents what we all want to believe.

As for the Hat not fitting in, use the same logic and ask yourself when was the last time you saw a European castle at the end of a 19th century main street? It's not about logic, it's about Disney.
    I never thought a giant hand guided the world...I thought the world was held up by some giant named Atlas. Where did I go wrong?
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

After reading some more comments, I still think the hat needs to move, but I now agree with the statement that the Studios needed an icon like the other parks, which all have theirs as the central view.
    However, and I know many fans will disagree with this statement, I don't think the sorcerer's hat, which appeared for less than 20 minutes in one film (or two, if you include the 2000 version), should be the icon of a movie studio theme park. I love the idea of the sorcerer's hat as much as the next person, but it's more of a Disney symbol than a movie symbol. The obvious response to this statement is that it's a Disney park, so it should have a Disney movie symbol, but if you look at the other parks, the Tree of Life has nothing to do with Disney (aside from the inside), SSE has nothing to do with Disney, and, although MK has Cinderella Castle, this was modeled after Disneyland, whose original castle was not themed after anything Disney, just the idea of fantasy, in general.
    To me, using the hat as the symbol of the Studios is the equivalent of using Pride Rock as the symbol of AK and the Robinsons' house as the symbol of Epcot. I apologize for opening up a whole new argument here, and I have nothing against those who disagree with my opinion, which could be considered a completely asinine statement to some, but that's just my two cents.
    Believe in the future, the world is getting better, there is still plenty of opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrumTastik View Post
    the entire theme of the Hollywood-that-never-was became disjointed.
    Weeeeellllllll.....there never was a giant sorcerer's hat in Hollywood....

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

For all you folks out there who really loved the wand on SSE, stay vigilent. The same people who whined the wand into oblivion won't stop there. The Hat at DS is next. We must fight against those who wish to turn WDW into a boring old folks home.

So who's with me? Keep WDW looking Disney!
    If they took the stupid hat down, then MGM would look like Disney again.
    Amy AKA Fantasmic

Let your Disney magic shine!

Mystries and Magic, visions Fantasmic!

WDW in 88,89,90,91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,04,05,07,09,11,13,14,16
    DLP in 99,00,08

Post Thanks / Like

. . . The same people who whined the wand into oblivion won't stop there. The Hat at DS is next . . .
    1) Workers (I mean guests) of the world unite!
    2) Rebel. Rebel. Rebel.
    3) Rise Up. Rise Up. Rise Up.
    4) Defeat tyranny and oppression (rather, depression)
    5) Let's get rid of the
    . . . hat at MGM, or move it to another site
    . . . tombstones in front of Spaceship Earth
    . . . new night-by-night resort pricing
    . . . long campaign cycle for presidential elections
    . . . blue M&M peanuts
    . . . ringing of cell phones in restaurants
    . . . reality tv shows
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cubbie View Post
    However, and I know many fans will disagree with this statement, I don't think the sorcerer's hat, which appeared for less than 20 minutes in one film (or two, if you include the 2000 version), should be the icon of a movie studio theme park. I love the idea of the sorcerer's hat as much as the next person, but it's more of a Disney symbol than a movie symbol. The obvious response to this statement is that it's a Disney park, so it should have a Disney movie symbol, but if you look at the other parks, the Tree of Life has nothing to do with Disney (aside from the inside), SSE has nothing to do with Disney, and, although MK has Cinderella Castle, this was modeled after Disneyland, whose original castle was not themed after anything Disney, just the idea of fantasy, in general.
    First, there is no other movie more associated with Mickey Mouse and Disney than that short segment as the sorcerer's apprentice. It is the pinnacle of the Walt/Mickey association.

Second, the Tree of Life does have a Disney connection. Pop in the Lion King DVD in your player and see if you see anything familiar.

The main point of the Disney theme parks is to bring movies to reality. My kids want to see Mickey, and Nemo, and Donald, and Simba. The wand and the hat represent this drive.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually glad to see the wand go! I don't know, it just ruined the look of SE. I do however love the hat! I was there on CM night when they opened it before the guest could see it! And I don't think Disney should get rid of it.
    VMK: RoyalRoseBlue

10 trips before 2000
    2000 - All Star Sports (Senior Trip)
    2001 - CP CM @ CBR

Post Thanks / Like

First, there is no other movie more associated with Mickey Mouse and Disney than that short segment as the sorcerer's apprentice. It is the pinnacle of the Walt/Mickey association.

Second, the Tree of Life does have a Disney connection. Pop in the Lion King DVD in your player and see if you see anything familiar.

The main point of the Disney theme parks is to bring movies to reality. My kids want to see Mickey, and Nemo, and Donald, and Simba. The wand and the hat represent this drive.

And to add to this, the castle at DLR is Snow White's castle, so it IS from something Disney.

My argument with the wand, is that EPCOT was not supposed to be about Disney movies, TV, cartoons, etc. It was a vision of the future and the societies that make up the world. Not Nemo or any of the other Disney characters. So Mickey's hand with wand was ill placed.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Yeah, but as has been said before, when was the last time you walked down the street in small town America and saw a huge Castle at the end of the street? I'm pretty sure that's never, too.
    The reason I don't lend this argument any credence is simple ... Magic Kingdom is the theme park of fantasy. In a fantasy world, a castle at the end of Main Street USA is a possibility at least (not to mention that it's not on Main Street proper and is technically in it's own section of the park).

The Studios is one park themed entirely around the concept of Hollywood and a working movie studio, ergo, a big dumb hat is out of place no matter where it is.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: