Quantcast Truth or Urban Legend? Handmade Disney clothes cause trouble

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Truth or Urban Legend? Handmade Disney clothes cause trouble

Last night at work, I was telling a customer how I was making a Young Kairi dress from "Kingdom Hearts" for my niece for our WDW trip and I was making a Namine dress for myself.

http://www.khinsider.com/khmanga/chap2/000.jpg

Unfortunately, a customer said that there was a person who had gotten pulled by security because the embroidery she had on her shirt looked too much like the real thing and they couldn't enter the park with it on. But here's the thing...my store sells an embroidery machine licensed by Disney. So I'm not sure if I should chalk this up to Urban Legend...

But would security get uptight about dresses based off two Disney characters? She will be four next year, and that's not really bad since I've seen young girls in Disney Princess outfits wander the park already. And mine doesn't quite look like it'd be out of the question. What do you all think?
    Going back May '08.

My likes-POTC, Haunted Mansion, Muppets 3D

Looking forward to-Simpsons, Star Tours 2, Harry Potter, visiting Tokyo Disneyland and USJ!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Urban myth. Only way security would stop someone would be if they had something "offensive" on.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard something similar years ago. A woman was approached for wearing a knock-off Mickey T-shirt she had made. She was asked to either change her shirt or purchase one in the gift shop.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

We've made our own Disney shirts for a group of 16 for a few different days and the only remakers we got we positive ones from cast members.

With costumes for MNSSHP the only problem you would have is if you were trying to pass yourself off as an offical character. Like the guy dressed like Santa that they wouldn't let in.

Post Thanks / Like

Nahhhh...urban myth. The only way you can get busted for copyright infringement or something similar is to sell what you make (i.e. making your own Mickey tees or specific princess dresses off the Disney pattern) and then selling them through a website or something. THEN you'll definitely get a Cease and Desist order, but I HIGHLY unlikely that you wouldn't be allowed to enter a park (especially since those dresses are expensive!).

Plus, if you're using a shirt thats been embroidered by a machine licensed by Disney, then you've got the ability to at LEAST make stuff for yourself (plus...exactly how would they know it WASN'T theirs if the embroidery was very good? Its not like everyone at WDW has a handbook that shows every piece of Disney apparel ever made!..is there?)!
    șoș...E. M....șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Man I hope not! I'm wanting to get some pictures around the castle and on the beach near MK in my Nanamie outfit when we go in Jan! Yay for fellow KH costumers!
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard many different reports that if your costume is TOO good...ie people start coming up to you for autographs...they will ask you to change or leave the park.

Which I can totally understand, they don't want non-employees acting like they are hired by disney ...for so many reasons!
    Christine

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others. If this was going to be a problem, Disney wouldn't sell so many craft items that allow you to make your own costumes.....or cards, or decorations, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFanatic View Post
    With costumes for MNSSHP the only problem you would have is if you were trying to pass yourself off as an offical character. Like the guy dressed like Santa that they wouldn't let in.
    That man wasnt even dressed like Santa, he just looked like him and when children were coming up to him, he was not denying that he was Santa.

Pipi ~ 911 miles from Disney World

Next Planned Trip ~ December 2010 POR?

POP January 2004

ASMu Feburary 2005

POP January 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I wore my "Por Favor..." t-shirt last month at WDW that I purchased at Cafepress.com and no one objected. I had a lot of people ask me where I got it from. Urban Legend, indeed!
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

I've made all of my kids a variety of shirts with appliqued Mickeys and Minnies, and we've never had a problem. Tons of compliments from CMs, but no one said anything bad.

We also made my oldest DD a Cinderella dress for her 5th bday to wear at CRT. Again, no problems even though it was obviously not from a Disney store or discount store. I'm making my youngest DD another one for our upcoming trip and am not worried in the least.
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to seriously doubt that the cast members are aware of every Disney design shirt out there. And I've yet to see anyone checking shirt tags, "just to be safe".
    We're almost complete...
    Disney Magic
    Polynesian
    Coronado Springs
    Caribbean Beach
    Port Orleans
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Wilderness Lodge
    Grand Floridian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Animal Kingdom
    Boardwalk
    AS Sports/Music/Movies
    Pop Century
    Disney Institute
    Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

That is definitely a myth. No way would anybody at Disney would care about homemade merchandise while that guest is spending their money going to Disney World.
    I worked in Strollers at MK which included the front entrance Locker Shop, NewsStand, Stroller Shop, Back Room (stacking strollers), and Tunnel (directing stroller traffic) in summer of 2007. I loved it!
    I also worked at the Tempo Grab'n'Go... you probably don't remember that place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaDracul View Post
    Last night at work, I was telling a customer how I was making a Young Kairi dress from "Kingdom Hearts" for my niece for our WDW trip and I was making a Namine dress for myself.

http://www.khinsider.com/khmanga/chap2/000.jpg

Unfortunately, a customer said that there was a person who had gotten pulled by security because the embroidery she had on her shirt looked too much like the real thing and they couldn't enter the park with it on. But here's the thing...my store sells an embroidery machine licensed by Disney. So I'm not sure if I should chalk this up to Urban Legend...

But would security get uptight about dresses based off two Disney characters? She will be four next year, and that's not really bad since I've seen young girls in Disney Princess outfits wander the park already. And mine doesn't quite look like it'd be out of the question. What do you all think?
    If you're planning on selling the items, it's one thing. But you should be okay with your costumes.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

1) You CAN be forbidden entry for costumes.
    2) It is a tricky issue.
    3) If you imitate a character, you could be ousted.
    4) WDW does not want confusion between guests and characters.
    5) Other than that, no problems with "designed" t-shirts.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) You CAN be forbidden entry for costumes.
    2) It is a tricky issue.
    3) If you imitate a character, you could be ousted.
    4) WDW does not want confusion between guests and characters.
    5) Other than that, no problems with "designed" t-shirts.
    Rusty:
    1) Why is it you always answer in numbered bullet points?
    2) When your answer would just as easily be shared without them.
    3) You give knowledgeable advice, don't get me wrong!
    4) I just don't understand the numbered list thing.
    5) *wink*

To the OP: they are mainly concerned with people trying to pass themselves off as characters, or offensive shirts. Even on the latter I have seen some shirts that surprised me the management allowed. I can only guess that nobody noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

1) Why is it you always answer in numbered bullet points?
    2) When your answer would just as easily be shared without them.
    3) You give knowledgeable advice, don't get me wrong!
    4) I just don't understand the numbered list thing.
    5) *wink*

LOL!!!! Remind anyone else of poetry for HS English class? (No insult intended, at all!)

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think adults were allowed to wear any costumes into the parks except during special events like the Not So Scary Halloween Party and the Pirates and Princesses party.
    Many, many trips (30+) since 1978 when I was three... oh what they started!!
    Upcoming: WL 12/10
    10/08 DCL & Pop Century
    8/08- Disney Panama Canal EB Cruise
    9/07, 9/06-Pop Century
    3/05: Disney Wedding!! GF Concierge (5 days) and POR (3 days)
    3/05: 7 Day Disney Cruise (eastern)
    5/03: AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Question Costumes?

If Disney can turn you down for looking like a character on the MNSSHP then why do they sell the look-a-like costumes for it at their store?We were planning on being Tink, Jack S., Elizabeth, and Davey Jones should we reconsider this or take the costumes and try to get in anyway---Its pretty obvious that we def dot look like the real things but it is a halloween party isnt it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tink03 View Post
    If Disney can turn you down for looking like a character on the MNSSHP then why do they sell the look-a-like costumes for it at their store?We were planning on being Tink, Jack S., Elizabeth, and Davey Jones should we reconsider this or take the costumes and try to get in anyway---Its pretty obvious that we def dot look like the real things but it is a halloween party isnt it?
    As the poster before you pointed out, it is different for specifically costumed events. And no matter whether or not it is costumed, anyone directly impersonating to the children--misleading them that they ARE those characters--would have an issue. Otherwise, no problem!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: