Quantcast California Grill and Kids

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question California Grill and Kids

Interested in trying Cali Grill for the first time in December but we have 3 DDs, ages 8, 6, and 2. They are well-behaved young ladies and all are used to eating out in restaurants. Do you think it's ok to bring children this young? Don't want to upset our fellow diners! TIA!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We brought my nephews when they were ages 6 & 2 - but that was four years ago. They were very well behaved too.

I think you'll be fine ...........
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeysworld View Post
    Interested in trying Cali Grill for the first time in December but we have 3 DDs, ages 8, 6, and 2. They are well-behaved young ladies and all are used to eating out in restaurants. Do you think it's ok to bring children this young? Don't want to upset our fellow diners! TIA!
    You know your children better than we do, so it's really impossible to make an accurate recommendation. California Grill is an upscale restaurant geared toward adults, but you know that already. It still is Walt Disney World, and everything, except for Victoria & Albert's, welcomes kids.

If they are well-behaved and not will not disturb other diners -- many of which are couples expecting a luxurious night out -- I would definitely take the kids along. California Grill is a special experience, and you may not have the opportunity to dine there without them.

Explain the situation to your children, especially the two older ones, and see how they react. It's definitely not an easy decision, and I hope everything works out.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I've eaten there many times and there are always kids dining too. If they start to act up and be a bother to someone else, just take a time out if you can. I think like Jared said, you might not be able to dine there without them. I would go and enjoy yourselves

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a fine place to bring kids and I've seen little ones there. The atmosphere, though more upscale, is bright and inviting, and there are plenty of places to walk out and entertain a kid should one need a break. I would give it a shot.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We were just there this past Sunday and took our 5 yr old. What we did was this:

Once we figured out what he was eating, we ordered it for him so he could be busy eating while our food was being prepared.

We got an appetizer, sushi and our meals plus dessert and our DS was pretty much occupied during the entire meal (thanks to crayons and paper plus the host who helped us with translation for Spanish colors).

So, if you feel your kids will be "good" I'd take them.....why I say that is that there were a few kids there who were not Cali Grill material.....one boy playing drums on the glasses and plates with his silverware......another little girl throwing a MAJOR tantrum and her parents just sat there.

I'd take ours again -- he enjoyed it very much and also enjoyed the view!!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    It is a fine place to bring kids and I've seen little ones there.

We were there in September with a group of 15. We had our three girls with us (10, 2, & 10 months at the time) and our neighbor's DD 4. We had a wonderful dinner. Our server was extremely attentive not only to our needs but those of the children as well. (He brought me a demitasse spoon to feed the baby with without me asking as well as crayons and the like.) We make sure we bring things to keep the children entertained (right now DD#2 is into My Littlest Pet Shop animals and they come everywhere with us and keep her entertained the entire meal). I noticed many children in the restaurant while we were there. Actually more tables had children seated at them than not.

I'm sure your children will be fine. In my opinion, it's Disney and children are part of the package so, I wouldn't worry.

Maybe you can pick up a new coloring or activity book and crayons in one of the parks before dinner and introduce it to the children at dinner. A new toy usually does the trick. They have these great trace princess plate things that you put over blank paper (included) and trace the cut outs to create pictures your older DDs might enjoy these and they can share it as there are a few different plates included.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Like someone said, It's Disney...no place at Disney should be without kids.

I'd say that if you have any concerns about the children, try to arrange to eat at an early hour. 5-6. I'd think most of the 'romantic' restaurant goers would be filing in later than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! Every time we've been there we have seen families with small children dining. We bring our son with us when we go. For sure it is not considered a "Family Restaurant" but the waitstaff is great with kids..... its WDW after all.
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

If they're well-behaved generally, take them. It's the nicest "family" restaurant that I've ever been to. We took a 4 year old boy and a 1.5 year old boy and it was a wonderful experience. We ordered our food and then went out on the balconies to look at the MK and the lake while we waited for the food. The server gave us gold fish crackers and crayons to draw with on the paper "tablecloth." The kids liked their food, and we loved ours.

It was a wonderful experience and is one of my top recommendations for family dining at WDW. (Believe it or not!)

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions and opinions. Kat1811, I will definetely look for the princess plate things, sounds like something my girls would love and robemcdo, we typically eat dinner early (5-6 pm) as the littlest one has an early bedtime, so thanks for that suggestion. Thanks again everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely bring the kids. We bring ours every time we go, of course they eat out alot. You will be fine, if they start getting restless just take a walk outside and enjoy the view a little. If they are picky eaters order the flatbread with only cheese. They are very accomidating.
    74-79 poly w/parents
    99' WL - 00' WL- 01' WL - 02' WL - 03' WL
    04' WL - 04' AS Sports - FEB 05' WL - May 05' POR
    Sept 05' POR cancelled/Katrina
    Oct 05' BCV, Mardi Gras 06' WLV
    Labor day 06 SSR, November 06, Dec POR, Aug 07 BCV, Feb 08 WLV
    Easter 08 OKW, Labor Day 08CBR,Nov08 SSR, Next feb09?

Post Thanks / Like

We took our children this past december (2007) to Cali Grill. They are only 2 and 4 and LOVED it! My kids are very used to eating out and are well behaved. It was a rather long meal (over 2 hours) and they had no issues with it. The staff was awesome!! The boys LOVED the fireworks!! Overall it was a fantastic experience!!

My 4 year old actually tells everyone his favorite restaurant in Disney was the California Grill!! LOL!! He's got good taste!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking We took our DD

on Monday the 21st. She's 6 yrs old.
    We all had a wonderful time.
    She ordered the salmon with rice and green beans. (She eats really well)
    She also had a salad as an appetizer and the server brought out goldfish crackers just in case.
    The crayons help too but she was into her food and the view we had was amazing.
    Your kids should be fine.
    Hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: