Quantcast Most Bang for your Buck?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Most Bang for your Buck?

Hey--poor college student here --in each park, what is the most recommended restaurant (sit down or counter)? What meal is best to eat in the parks (or spend more money on) instead of relying on snacks I brought in?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I did Epcot as a poor college student too so maybe I can offer a few tips:

1) You can find a decent quick service at each park. Our personal favorite where we felt we got the most for our money was in the food court at The Land in Epcot. They serve some amazingly fresh food for very little. We also managed to take advantage of a small combo (not a kids meal) but it had plenty of food and was little over 5 bucks. This was a few years ago, but since then we've been back and really enjoyed the food there still.

2) It is easy to save on breakfast if you keep something filling in your hotel room. We had oatmeal bars, I believe. If you eat a decent breakfast, you will probably not feel like you need to eat for a few hours.

3) PLEASE don't make the same mistake I did. I was so focused on saving money that I didn't buy or drink enough water. Ended up needing medical attention after Space Mountain for dehydration as a result. Whatever you do, make sure you drink plenty.

4) Keep granola bars in your bag. The snacks at WDW are great but if you buy them every day, they can add up. Bring your own snacks and a water bottle you can refill at a water fountain to save on drinks.

5) Dinner is usually the most fun and delish meal at WDW, but i have friends who swear the best meal to splurge on is breakfast. With dinner, you stay full until park close, which may only be a couple of hours. If you eat a large breakfast in the park (or outside there are a couple of very good, very cheap buffets), you could be full through lunch and only have to pay for two meals that day!

I hope this helps... Enjoy your trip!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!! It really does, another OT question: I'm not an experienced flyer, would they let me bring one of those aluminum water bottles with me on the plane (empty of course)?

Post Thanks / Like

Post save

Lettripp's suggestions are right on. As far as water, you can always buy one bottled water and refill it at the fountains. It doesn't taste great, but it works. You can also buy some instant sugar-free tea drink packets to add - they are just the right size.

Restaurants where you get a good bang
    MK - Cosmic Ray's has some selections big enough to split between two people.
    Epcot - Sunshine Seasons (the Land) is good. Also try one of the country restaurants. (Yakitori House in Japan and Tangierine Cafe at Morocco)
    AK - Flame Tree BBQ gives you a decent meal for the price.
    DHS - I'm not too helpful here. Maybe someone else has ideas.

Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

As a poor student myself (for a few more months at least), I understand your plight. It is possible to enjoy Disney dining on a stricter budget. Every park besides Disney's Hollywood Studios has several fantastic counter service restaurants where you can find a delicious, large meal for relatively cheap. Sunshine Seasons in Epcot and Columbia Harbour House in the Magic Kingdom rank among my favorites.

I advise against purchasing breakfast in the parks. The selections are limited and not particularly appetizing. Bring your own snacks to munch on in the morning.

Finally, like others have said, do not skimp on water. Even if you are reluctant to buy almost anything else, don't underestimate the importance of remaining hydrated.

Have fun!
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

It is easy to buy breakfast stuff and snacks to stock up your room. I think it makes more sense to splurge at lunch, if you're going to splurge. If you want to enjoy some table service meals, I would recommend a big buffet lunch. The Biergarten food will keep you full all day, and that's a fun experience. Some table service places have deals at lunch time. My sister went as a poor college student and she found that she was spending almost as much on some counter service as she would have for lunch at table service places that might have made for a more satisfying experience. Check the menus at Info Central and make some comparisons. See what you personally prefer.

Also, you might get more out of splitting counter service meals. Especially around World Showcase. You get to sample more fun foods that way for less money.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The Land is a good place to get a cheap meal @ Epcot. I also recommend getting a platter at Tangeriene Cafe...a goodly portion of food for the money.
    "One wrong move, and I could easily be squashed into a tangy pesto sauce."

1988, 1990, 2008- Contemporary
    1993, 1999, 2005- Beach Club
    1996- Polynesian
    2009- Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Another question? I'm going to be on a Daniel Fast during my trip (its a week long). do you think that will drastically interfer with my experience?

Post Thanks / Like

I had to look that up sorry! It's essentially vegetarian so that shouldn't be a problem.

One of my fave counter service options is the grilled vegetable sandwich at backlot express.

Peco's Bill does offer a veggie burger as well.

for epcot there are vegetable choices at many of the countries (in both counter service and table service)

for table service choices any of the buffet's would work (but might not be in the spirit of your fast) but you might want to consider something like nine dragons for a lunch as they have a vegetarian option that should fit.

But there are extensive choices for this realm in many places..just persue some menu's to get some ideas!
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Buffets are a good option although they are pricey but you will be stuffed afterwards.

Bring breakfast bars, bagels, or english muffins for breakfast.

There are a lot of great and diverse CS options at the parks especially Epcot.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend Boma for your situation. It may not be inexpensive, but it is a buffet with MANY vegetable choices. I think this one has more meals based on vegetables than any other location we have tried.

Also, you could let the chef know of your fast and they could whip something up specifically for you.
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

Per some other posters comments-- don't skimp on water. And you never have to. You can go to about any quick service counter and request a free cup of ice water. There are countless water fountains all over the parks, so keep your cup and refill it, or just get a big drink out of the fountain.

If you are staying on property buy some cereal and milk for breakfast. A lot of rooms now have refrigerators and you can see in advance if your room will have one. If you are staying off property, try to find a place that has free breakfasts. When you are done, grab a piece of fruit that most of them have for a morning snack later. Good luck.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Water bottles are good to go on airplanes. I bring collapsable plastic ones, but metal shouldn't be any different. They only have to be dry until you go through security, then you can fill them up at any water fountain. Bringing one to Disney is awesome and will save you a bunch of money.

Another trick I do is to bring MREs with me. Granted they aren't for everyone, but I cook one up in the morning for breakfast, then save the snacks and non-entree portions for later in the day. I'm a big guy and an MRE will keep me on my feet and going until mid-late afternoon. Then you simply buy yourself something simple at a counter service or a nice dinner early in the evening and you will be good to go. Plus if you watch for them you can vegetarian versions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Djscherr View Post

Another trick I do is to bring MREs with me. Granted they aren't for everyone, but I cook one up in the morning for breakfast, then save the snacks and non-entree portions for later in the day. I'm a big guy and an MRE will keep me on my feet and going until mid-late afternoon. Then you simply buy yourself something simple at a counter service or a nice dinner early in the evening and you will be good to go. Plus if you watch for them you can vegetarian versions.
    Whats an MRE?

Post Thanks / Like

Meal Ready to Eat, they are used in the military primarily. Some are very tasty.

Post Thanks / Like

Try eating a light breakfast in your room and bringing snacks for later in the evening...like another poster said you can bring cereal bars, fruit and pop tarts and then if you want to save on Table Service try eating a late lunch that will tide you over until you can get back to your room. Its usually most of the same menu items as served at dinner and are priced less for lunch. Bring bottled water to keep in the room, we carry ours into the park and refill them from the fountains.

For cheaper eats try

My favorite CS are:
    DTD-Wolfgang Puck Express
    DHS-Starring Rolls
    MK-Pecos Bills
    AK-Flame Tree BBQ
    Epcot-anything around WS-we like UK's fishn chips

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Get the LUNCH buffet at the latest time 4:00 I think ,and if you eat right you will not be hungry till the next day. lunch is way cheaper than dinner and the menu is about the same. Pay for bottled water? we've been drinking fountian water all these years and it's just fine, it's only water.
    3/82 3/85 3/88 3/91-offsite
    4/92 Poly
    5/01 Coronado
    5/02 Yacht
    5/04 Yacht
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 PO FQ
    5/06 Yacht
    5/07 WL
    5/08 AS Music 10/08 Dolphin
    5/09 Contemp 10/09 Boardwalk Villa
    5/10 Contemp-Atrium 10/10 Beach
    5/11 Contemp 10/11 Yacht
    5/12 Yacht cl 10/12 Dolphin
    4/13 Yacht cl

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to do TS's I would do them for lunch. And just CS for dinner and a light breakfast. That worked for us when we do no DP.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning on bringing a lot nuts--cashews, almonds, etc. if i have leftovers, how does it work to bring outside food on planes? i'm an inexperienced flyer.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: