Quantcast Some tips I have learned. . . - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Most important:
    GOOD SHOES
    SUNBLOCK
    SUNGLASSES

Florida sun will fry you in less than an hour.
    Do not bring new shoes - bring shoes you have been wearing a month or more.
    Flip-flops are bad not enough support for 7 miles a day and will fly off on faster rides.
    A birkenstock type shoe or a breathable running shoe is best.
    Nov15-MVMCP; Mar12-Poly!; Dec11-MVMCP; Dec10-MVMCP; Oct10-CBR; May10-WL; Oct07-10k Race4Taste; Jul07; May07-5k Minnie; Jan07; Dec06-MVMCP; Oct06-ASM MNSSHP; Feb06-Poly!; Dec04; Nov02

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When my kids were little, I always introduced them to a CM on our first day and pointed out the special CM nametags. I always told them to look for someone with that special nametag in case they got lost.
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Post Thanks / Like

Bring a pain reliever, not just for your legs and feet but for "heat" headaches.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

1) Get to parks right when they open
    2) Use Fastpass
    3) Make ADRs early
    4) Eat early (11am lunch / 5pm dinner)
    5) Take afternoon break from park
    6) Eat Mickey Ice Cream
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellsMom View Post
    Take a digital picture of your child each morning in their park outfit before you leave for the parks. This way if they wonder away from you, you can show the CM's a current picture of your child. We did this when our DD was very young and didn't know our cell numbers, etc.
    I don't have kids, but on our last trip, I noticed a lady at the bus stop with us did this. What a brilliant idea!

1) I bring a small bottle of dishwashing liquid with me and "did the dishes" the night before so everything (mainly resort mugs and/or coffee mugs) were fresh and ready to go the next morning. One year I forgot to do this. Ever had a Nescafe' flavored frozen Coke? I don't recommend it.

2) If you're not a big eater, or don't like to feel stuffed while you're walking around the parks, SHARE SHARE SHARE! My big sis and I did this on our last trip - we split our pizzas, nuggets, desserts, etc. Large cokes are not much more expensive than regular ones - get two straws and share. You save money and room in your tummy for yumminess like Mickey Ice Cream and Minnie strawberry bars. Lines are drawn, however, on Dole Whips. Get your own.

3) Do not be afraid of the single rider line. The single rider line is your friend.
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot emphasize the importance of a disco nap. If you have plans of staying up until all hours with your friends (midnight or later some nights at the Magic Kingdom), you will need an afternoon nap. Even the college-aged Disney visitor will benefit from this. Keep this sacred nap time in mind when making Advance Dining Reservations. Leave time getting to the resort and back afterwords...it may mean the difference between a lovely vacation and tears before bedtime.

...Oh, and hydrate. While the pictures of you being treated by Dr. Mickey in the infirmary may be cute in the photo album years from now, it won't be so comical at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

We tend to do a lot of the same things on our Disney vacations that we do on others to convenience ourselves. For instance:

carry a small collapsable laundry basket to keep dirty clothes up and out of the way.

though it's a hassle initially, we would get our kids, when they were smaller, their own gift cards for each day. they would know they had $10-25/day and wouldn't be tempted to spend it all at once. They could carry over any unused funds to the next day...

always have at least 1 extra pair of shoes incase of rainy weather.

We always schedule our return flight late in the day so we can savour our last day in the parks. It's not a run, run, run day, but more like a "the one thing you would most like to do again/place to eat again" day.

We try to be real about what can be done in our allotted vacation time and not exhaust ourselves early in the vacation.

The kids plan the vacation, where we eat, what day we visit each park and, before DVC, where we would stay (kinda). Then we, those who pay for the trip, would tweak. But they would work together to plan a day, or would plan days individually for the family, but they felt they were in control.

The biggest tip is research your vacation time. Don't get upset if in June you have to wait 60 minutes in 88° heat for ToT. Be prepared for what you're walking in to...

Always have fun and enjoy...
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Too many rental cars look alike.
    Put a bright colored bandana on the mirror and rear dash to help you find your car.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

If you drive to the parks, take a picture of what row you parked in on your digital camera. That way you don't risk forgetting where you left the rental car like we did once at AK with a HUGE thunderstorm heading our way as we were wandering around looking for it!
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I have compiled a huge document of tips that I've collected over the years and whenever any of my friends start planning a trip, they ask for it.

If you're traveling with recently potty-trained little ones, stick a pad of post-it notes in your pocket to cover the magic eye on the toilets in the park. Little ones sometimes aren't big enough to block it and can freak out if there's a flush while they're sitting there.

Dark rides can be scary for little ones. Mine guys liked having a small flashlight to carry with them.

I make "If found, please call XXX-XXX-XXXX" labels before the trip and put them on everything, including my kids each morning!

Similarly, a CM told me that something like 60 cameras are turned into lost and found every day with no way to identify them. So at the beginning of every card, I take a photo of a piece of paper with my name, cell number, resort and travel dates so that if I lose my camera, it's easy to figure out who it belongs to!
    12 trips to the World... next one: 10/29/12 for our Fairy Tale Wedding!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyChick View Post
    I have compiled a huge document of tips that I've collected over the years and whenever any of my friends start planning a trip, they ask for it.

If you're traveling with recently potty-trained little ones, stick a pad of post-it notes in your pocket to cover the magic eye on the toilets in the park. Little ones sometimes aren't big enough to block it and can freak out if there's a flush while they're sitting there.

Dark rides can be scary for little ones. Mine guys liked having a small flashlight to carry with them.

I make "If found, please call XXX-XXX-XXXX" labels before the trip and put them on everything, including my kids each morning!

Similarly, a CM told me that something like 60 cameras are turned into lost and found every day with no way to identify them. So at the beginning of every card, I take a photo of a piece of paper with my name, cell number, resort and travel dates so that if I lose my camera, it's easy to figure out who it belongs to!
    These are great!! I love the post it idea and the flashlight!!!!!
    Can you send me some more in a pm from what you have collected?

I also lost my phone there on one of the rides. So make sure you remember what your screen saver is etc. Cause they ask you specifics since so many are turned in during the day as well.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

1. get to the park EARLY!
    2. Mid-day breaks-especially w/kids
    3. ADR's...make them.
    4. Power strips-lord knows we have enough electronic chargers.
    5. "Travel Light"-to the parks. Avoid longer than necessary security checks.
    6. Send all parks purchases to your room.
    7. Fast Pass...use it.
    8. Extra Batteries
    9. Get to the parks EARLY!
    10. Take time to slow down and enjoy the scenery.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyChick View Post

Would you be willing to share your "Tips document"?

Urbs
    Cresson, PA

Off Site - 76, 79, 82, 90
    Dixie Landings - 97
    Contemporary - 03
    ASM - 9/08
    PC 10/09 & 10/10
    FQ 11/12
    BW & CB 6/13
    Off Site (Parkway International) 9/13
    Shades of Green 9/14
    DCL (Wonder) 10/14
    AK Lodge & BW 5/15
    FW 9/15
    Shades of Green 3/16

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I went, I took 2 pairs of shoes. I changed shoes each day and it made a HUGE difference. Next trip, I am taking 3 pairs of well worn shoes.

Conditioning before you go is crucial as others have said. Just think, most of us sit at a desk 8 or so hours a day and at Disney, you are walking 12 to 13 hours a day. It really hits you when you are standing at the American EPCOT exhibit at closing time, you are exhausted and you realize you have a couple of MILES to go to get to the buses.

I love to hit all 4 parks on our last full day. We start with the park with Morning EMH and end with the park with the Evening EMH. Our last day we check our luggage, get our boarding pass and take a relaxing stroll down Main St USA. We always end with the Magic Kingdom.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Dont overplan! I have made this mistake and it kills me to see people do the same. Remember, you're on vacation. Go with the flow and follow where WDW takes you. Make a very light, loose list in your head of what you would like to do, and leave plenty of room for changes or issues. If you don't, one minor change or problem will derail your entire sched.

2. Take a second look at things. My 2nd trip I blew right by all the World Showcase shops and attractions. Now, I can't imagine NOT stopping at each shop, show, or attraction. You may not think you will like something, but at least try it once. Where else better to do this? You'll probably be surprised...I was!~
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)