Quantcast Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Updated with NTSB Report - Page 20

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    If it's not a safe place for guests, then it wouldn't be a safe place for cast members either. However, I can see that it could possibly be a distraction to the cast member.
    And that's one of the reasons it may not be safe to have guests up there. There may also be ways to strengthen the cast area since it sits back from the window but not the passenger area. Lots of unknowns at this point and the investigation will inform us of that.

If the area can be made safe for all (including diminishing distractions for the CM) then it will be safe to ride there.

People will dwell on this for some time. That is human nature when a tragedy occurs. But, as my post says, time is a great healer and eventually the emotions that cause people to dwell on this will also fade.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's an idea I had to allow guests to ride up front again. (keeping in mind I don't know all the ins and outs of running the monorail system). Why can't they have rule that states that no passengers are allowed upfront during times when trains switch tracks. I can't imagine the monorails switch tracks all that often during the busy time of the day. That way it would only affect the mornings at opening and at night during closing hours.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    Here's an idea I had to allow guests to ride up front again. (keeping in mind I don't know all the ins and outs of running the monorail system). Why can't they have rule that states that no passengers are allowed upfront during times when trains switch tracks. I can't imagine the monorails switch tracks all that often during the busy time of the day. That way it would only affect the mornings at opening and at night during closing hours.
    Great idea. I'm positive that would be a great step neccesasry in allowing people to ride up front again, the thing is, I doubt anyone will be able to ride up front with the pilot again for some period of time due to this accident even if that would be a reasonable security tool.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Article from FL Today re: Autopsy report

ORLANDO -- The 21-year-old monorail pilot who was killed in a crash earlier this month at Walt Disney World died as the result of multiple traumatic injuries, according to an autopsy report released today, FLORIDA TODAY news partner WKMG Local 6 reports.

Austin Wuennenberg was killed July 5 when his train and another monorail train collided near the Magic Kingdom.

The medical examiner wrote in the report that Wuennenberg's death was accidental and he suffered blunt trauma to his head and torso. Abdominal and chest injuries were consistent with traumatic compression, the report stated.

The autopsy report also stated that toxicology results for "volatiles and drugs of abuse" were negative.

Meanwhile, the National Transportation Safety Board on Wednesday said Walt Disney World has provided "most of the documents" requested in its investigation, including employee training records, work history, standard operating procedures, maintenance and inspection history.

The federal board said it has completed all equipment testing and witness interviews in the investigation and that the next release of information can be expected within six months when the accident docket is made public.

A previous report, released July 8, revealed that there were no mechanical malfunctions involved in the crash.
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

Was poking around, and found a msg board post from a former Railie on another board.

This answered one of my questions about the attempt to put Purple in reverse, and since the reversing was brought up here, I hope it helps explain to others:

If Austin saw Pink backing towards him, he had a split second to make a decision.

Let go of the MAPO Override? Nope, that would just re-engage the system and immediately apply the emergency brakes. I wouldn't want to be "locked down" to the beam by my brakes just prior to a collision.

Mash his emergency stop button? Nope, again, he'd find himself "dead in the water" and effectively "locked down" to the beam by the powerful brakes and increase the force of the impact by not being able to "bounce back" and lessen the severity of the collision.

Throw the train's directional selector into "reverse"? Nope, until he pulled back on the brakes and came to a complete stop, with the "zero speed" indicator lit up, he could not change directions. Moving the switch to reverse while still moving would have caused a full service stop, again making him a sitting duck.

I'll bet he did it right. He probably tried to get on the radio and either alert Central or break radio discipline and yell at Pink to stop. (Trains do not talk to other trains. Drivers communicate to other trains through Central or a station. For instance, if you've been holding at a strange hold point for way too long for no apparent reason, your radio transmission should not be, "Monorail Black, why are you holding at Pylon 215?" It should be, "Central, be advised I've been holding at 185 for five minutes. Can you advise as to system status?" Central will call Black and find out why he's not moving.)

Best case scenario would have been to begin calling for the Pink train to mash his emergency stop mushroom button, while simultaneously pulling back on the MCU trying to get to zero speed as soon as possible. Once stopped, he might have had time to reverse his train's selector which would have made the train start "looking" behind it for other trains, and seeing none, given him a thirty mph speed limit to take off in the opposite direction from Pink as fast as possible.

That's a lot of stuff to try to do in a very, very short time. The best, most experienced drivers would have a hard time thinking of the only logical conclusion and executing it in time. I don't know that anybody would come up with the correct decision in a split second.

He might have been safer if he'd jumped the twenty feet to the concrete below, but this is inconceivable to a driver.
    There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Hi All,

Was poking around, and found a msg board post from a former Railie on another board.

This answered one of my questions about the attempt to put Purple in reverse, and since the reversing was brought up here, I hope it helps explain to others:
    This was a great find... really really great find. I found it extremely informative and greatly written. I just wanna know where they're going to pin the blame for this freak accident.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antngoof89 View Post
    This was a great find... really really great find. I found it extremely informative and greatly written. I just wanna know where they're going to pin the blame for this freak accident.
    My guess is it'll be on Pink and the manager on duty at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    My guess is it'll be on Pink and the manager on duty at the time.
    I would guess it would be more on the manager if the Driver of Pink was simply doing as he was instructed by Monorail Control.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

It's been a long time coming, but the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) released several hundred pages of its investigative reports yesterday.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent and interesting reading... Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Wow ... so many things I could say here in response to those written statements, but I think I'll keep my mouth shut.

Scary is the only thing I'll say. Scary.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I hadn't gotten to those yet, I was just looking at their Personel File documents, etc. I'm guessing that the Control Tower transcripts cut off at the time of the accident because of pending legal proceedings and they don't want to taint any potential jury pool, etc.

This release of info could keep me reading for a while! Very interesting stuff and a fantastic look at the inner workings of WDW operations..

Which honestly, probably is very much like what goes on inside a lot of corporations, with regards to information gathering.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to read some of the testimonies. Wow. The one that got me the most was Adrienne, driving the black monorail, and pointing out the other monorail to the little girls UP FRONT WITH HER. I'm SO thankful they were with her and not up front in one of the other cars.

And on that note, I don't think I can read any more of this.
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Scary is the only thing I'll say. Scary.
    It's really scary that a custodian is far more literate than an EMS professional.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

So sad & scary to read. So many different accounts of the same story -- some a little harder to follow than others.

Forgive my ignorance - I can't remember, but did they ever conclude what the cause of the accident was? I read the Shop Panel Operator's statement and it looks like he thought the lines had been switched but then after the accident realized they weren't?
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

From everything I've read, it appears that it's that Shop Operators fault, unless there was a false positive that the switch happened.

It looks like Pink driver was one violation from being removed from Monorails, but this doesn't appear to be his problem. Better visibility would have been nice, but he was just doing what he was told.

Above all, after reading all I have, I find it an amazing stroke of luck this hadn't happened before.

Post Thanks / Like

I really wish that BOTH ends of the monorail trains had a driver's seat. Then, if they have to go in one direction, they get out and go down to that end of the monorail to drive FORWARD, as opposed to ever having to reverse.

So, so sad reading those first hand accounts. I can't imagine the guilt and horror that was felt everywhere.

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I really wish that BOTH ends of the monorail trains had a driver's seat.
    All trains have driver's seats at both ends. Known as cabs 1 and 6.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

So then, if there are driver's seats, why do they reverse? The transcript from the Pink Driver said he never liked reversing because he was relying on other people to tell him it was all clear, but that it never sat well with him. He said he WANTED to be able to see where he was going, but that it's just not possible when you're in reverse, so you've got to just trust the other people.

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    So then, if there are driver's seats, why do they reverse?
    Because they only use one pilot. The express route and the resort route operate in opposite directions and therefore require cabs at both ends. The maintenance "roundhouse" does not turn the monorails around and there are only two main switches on the mail lines. Switches one and two are for the resort and express lines and the switches eight and nine are for the epcot to express line or the spur line. Since the accident they are using a live spotter at the switching stations and the pilots now only drive forward through the switches. It is the safest way to do it.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: