Quantcast Good, Bad and Ugly

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good, Bad and Ugly

I have been to WDW several times (see signature, blah blah blah). We are going again next month and it will be our 3rd time on the DDP, so obviously, we try to eat well while we are there.

What I keep seeing here and at forums on other sites is that WDW is "hit and miss" with their dining quality. Naturally, all restaurants are vulnerable to bad reviews, and WDW is no exception.

So, what I'm wondering is why would WDW - the standard for guest service and satisfaction - have anything less than excellent food quality?

Does this seem illogical to anyone else? If Domino's Pizza can do focus groups and start their recipes from scratch because of customer dissatisfaction, then certainly WDW should be listening.

Now, having said that (and realizing this post may go in 2 different directions,) where was your BEST dining experience while at WDW? Where was your WORST dining experience at WDW?

Thankyouverymuch!
    MK as a toddler - early 1970s
    Epcot 1980ish
    Polynesian 1986ish
    Epcot 1989
    Off-site 2005
    Pop 2006
    Off-site 2008
    Pop 2009
    Pop 2011

War Eagle! (Auburn University Alum, class of 1993)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear you. Being a big foodie I tend to go on vacation some times to EAT. That being said I have to slum it at times at some of the fast food type places at Disney for lunches and snacks. They are quick and convenient and get you back on the rides. I think the freshness of ingredients is there as well as good sanitation practices. I would be willing to bet that relatively few people get sick from bad food at Disney. And I know they are marketing food to the masses including picky eater children, but I wish there were healthier choices than the generic junk food. I know there are plenty of restaurants in the parks to choose from, but I would even go so far as to say that the quality of food and authenticity of some of the international choices just isnt there. To experience fine dining, Disney's signature restaurants like Jiko, Napa Rose, CA Grill are outstanding places to eat with some of the best chefs in the business. I would even say that breakfasts at the resorts are quite good. But the fast food places and some of the restaurants in the parks are just awful.

Post Thanks / Like

Good question-- with people being so different, two people having the same meal are still subject to their own personal tastes, moods, expectations, etc. We've always found the food at Disney to be quite good. We haven't always liked everything but that's the exception.

Some of our best experiences have been at the World Showcase restaurants at Epcot. You can view the menus on this website and find all kinds of reviews elsewhere on line.

My family's personal favorite is the Biergarten, not necessarily because of the food although we really like it. The atmosphere and polka band are the one place we forget we're at Disney. We loved the Sci-Fi Diner, even though the food was average. We still laugh and talk about the videos and atmosphhere. I suggest looking at the menus and finding a spot that suits you best.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is continually working on their food service, changing, perfecting, responding to customer feedback. Not all restaurants inside WDW are run or owned by Disney. It's not as simple as launching an ad campaign to say they're retooling on the one product highlighted, pizza, a la Dominos. Why can't they get it right all the time? Who could? There are too many restaurants, all different, with different goals, serving different foods in different styles, and not all owned and operated by Disney. But I think they do try to please and respond to guest concerns.

Expecting everything to be perfect, or even good, at Disney all the time is like expecting every single restaurant in your town (or even New York City) to be operating at top level with excellent food and service that pleases different customer tastes every visit. It's a large nearly impossible task because WDW is that big. And also, you can't please every customer every time.

My best dining experience was at Bistro de Paris, but I've had many excellent experiences, including some counter service (more good than bad). My worst was at Coral Reef, but I've had about six truly dismal dining experiences at Disney overall (Kona Cafe, Boatwright's, Hollywood and Vine, and some counter service). The rest fall in between, not good or bad, just average.

By the way, the Dominos ad campaign? Not exactly a stellar example of excellent food service. They're basically saying that they fill a need but their food is so bad they have to go on TV to make you trust that they're trying to be better. I wouldn't want that for WDW. For anyone. I think it's a misguided campaign. Why not just stick with a slogan like "Domino's, not that great, but we're here when you're desperate, and we deliver."
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

BEST - Cape May Cafe for dinner; we are eating here three times next year when staying at Beach Club because we enjoyed it soooo much!

WORST - It is hard to decide because I am not a very picky eater and think everything has been fine - if I had to pick it would be 50s Prime Time - not because the food was bad but just overpriced for what it is.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Disney is continually working on their food service, changing, perfecting, responding to customer feedback. Not all restaurants inside WDW are run or owned by Disney. It's not as simple as launching an ad campaign to say they're retooling on the one product highlighted, pizza, a la Dominos. Why can't they get it right all the time? Who could? There are too many restaurants, all different, with different goals, serving different foods in different styles, and not all owned and operated by Disney. But I think they do try to please and respond to guest concerns.

Expecting everything to be perfect, or even good, at Disney all the time is like expecting every single restaurant in your town (or even New York City) to be operating at top level with excellent food and service that pleases different customer tastes every visit. It's a large nearly impossible task because WDW is that big. And also, you can't please every customer every time.

My best dining experience was at Bistro de Paris, but I've had many excellent experiences, including some counter service (more good than bad). My worst was at Coral Reef, but I've had about six truly dismal dining experiences at Disney overall (Kona Cafe, Boatwright's, Hollywood and Vine, and some counter service). The rest fall in between, not good or bad, just average.

By the way, the Dominos ad campaign? Not exactly a stellar example of excellent food service. They're basically saying that they fill a need but their food is so bad they have to go on TV to make you trust that they're trying to be better. I wouldn't want that for WDW. For anyone. I think it's a misguided campaign. Why not just stick with a slogan like "Domino's, not that great, but we're here when you're desperate, and we deliver."
    Oh, I agree that the Domino's campaign theme of "we ****, we know, but we're trying, look we took these people to a dairy farm and they're so clueless they didn't know it, but this is where our cheese comes from. woohoo" - fails as for making the point that they are IMPROVING their QUALITY. But the point in advertising is to be remembered, just be remembered. So, we all realize that they are making the effort to retool their menu and quality - equalling success in the ADVERTISEMENT.

Now, do I WANT WDW to do that same sort of campaign? No, probably not. Do I want to know that their franchise standard is a high one? Yes, I do. Do I think they meet that sttandard all (or most) of the time? Probably, but I think there is definite area for improvement in the QS area, specifically, burgers that don't taste like Sonic or Krystal or something from my daughter's lunchroom.

As for their being able to manage the quality of even outside vendors on a property as large and varied and vast as WDW... Yes, I do think they can. To say they can't doesn't make sense to me, since we expect them to - and see them - succeed in managing transportation, theme park rides, hotels, technology, safety, etc., etc. Expecting the same standard for dining is a reasonable expectation, IMHO.

I hope you take this as I intend it, good natured and simply wanting other opinions and reaction. Thank you for your insight.
    Epcot 1980ish
    Polynesian 1986ish
    Epcot 1989
    Off-site 2005
    Pop 2006
    Off-site 2008
    Pop 2009
    Pop 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mogie View Post
    And I know they are marketing food to the masses including picky eater children, but I wish there were healthier choices than the generic junk food.

To experience fine dining, Disney's signature restaurants like Jiko, Napa Rose, CA Grill are outstanding places to eat with some of the best chefs in the business. I would even say that breakfasts at the resorts are quite good. But the fast food places and some of the restaurants in the parks are just awful.

Picky eating children? CHECK!

We ate at Jiko in 2009 and really enjoyed it - even with the picky eating children.

I am trying to get ADRs for Ca Grill, but no luckk so far. May try to just call or walk up the night we arrive and see if we can get lucky.
    Epcot 1980ish
    Polynesian 1986ish
    Epcot 1989
    Off-site 2005
    Pop 2006
    Off-site 2008
    Pop 2009
    Pop 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say my best meal at WDW to date has been at The Coral Reef. This place receives mixed reviews regurlarly but the chocolate wave cake is to die for. The atmosphere though the dining room is small is great as well

The worst is Boatrights Cold food and slow service has been my experience.

As far as Disney Dining overall, I think people's expectations are so high that minor issues will tick you off. Afterall, it is Disney and with paying so much, you expect the best of the best. I find that the bar is set extremely high yet Disney seems to deliver most times.
    "It's fab, Its fun, It's DISNEY"!

Offsite March'05
    POR June'06
    Pop Century June 30-July 4,09

Offsite Apr '10
    Pop Century Apr '12
    Pop Century June '14
    Wilderness Lodge June '15
    Caribbean Beach May/June '16
    UPCOMING: Disney's Contemporary Aug '17

Post Thanks / Like

We're just back from WDW and I have to say the food was excellent; however I really liked the food at Boatwrights. It was the first time we ate there and the food is just GREAT. On the flip side was Liberty Tree....not so great.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

The BEST we've had would have to be LeCellier. We have eaten there 7 times and absolutely loved it. That being said, we cannot justify using 2 TS credits for ANY restaurant including LeCellier, so I doubt that we will be eating there anytime soon.

The WORST we had was O'hana. Everything was overcooked and dry.
    '72 Kissimee
    July '94 AS Sports
    Aug '05 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Aug '06 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Sept '08 POP ( FREE DINING)
    Oct '09 POP ( FREE DINING)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeriWDE View Post

As for their being able to manage the quality of even outside vendors on a property as large and varied and vast as WDW... Yes, I do think they can. To say they can't doesn't make sense to me, since we expect them to - and see them - succeed in managing transportation, theme park rides, hotels, technology, safety, etc., etc. Expecting the same standard for dining is a reasonable expectation, IMHO.

I hope you take this as I intend it, good natured and simply wanting other opinions and reaction. Thank you for your insight.
    Absolutely good natured, no problems. I understand what you're saying. I didn't say they can't manage the quality. I'm saying I think they do to the full extent that it's possible to do so and do it well and consistently. It's a tall order. I think they do as well managing the food as they do all the other areas.

Can they do a better job? Maybe. Are they trying? I think they are. I think they're always working at it. But excellence and perfection across the board? No one would say that simply good is good enough, but what is reasonable to expect? We differ on that, I think. I think they do reasonably well. I've had some amazing meals at WDW, and as I said earlier, far more good than bad. Not that I am a total Pollyanna. There are certain things I haven't liked at Disney (pizza for instance, finally there's Via Napoli, but that's about the only pizza I like on property), and those places just don't get my return business, or I just make other more dependable choices at WDW.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think the resturants at WDW are quite good. I have read some of the bad reviews of various places and wondered if people just there on a off night or overly critical.

Now don't get me wrong, not everything I have had at WDW I would order again but I think that is more of a "personal taste" judgement than the quality of the food / resturant.

The variety of food options (and the DDP!) are one of the best parts of WDW for me.
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

As I thought about my answer to your question, I was happy that I had more answers for "Best" than for "Worst"

BEST: Filet @ Le Cellier, Beef Tips @ Akershus, Everything @ Boma, Onion rings @ Sci-Fi, Chocolate Shake @ WCC

WORST: Rotisserie Chicken at Pepper Market, dry and tasteless. Pasta @ Everything Pop Food court, greasy to the point of sickening.

I do think there could be more healthy options at the Counter Service locations but just like in the real world...eating healthy is expensive and junk food is more readily available and cheaper.
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

Best & Worst could be the same place at diff times..or a great meal once & only so-so another time. Ive experienced this at Marrakesh, Les Chefs, etc
    and best for theme for instance San Angel, but most dont think the food matches.
    Narcoosees didnt do it for me; only ok. but many people like it.
    among my best would be Artist Pt &CA Grill for higher price places... Trails End for value, Pecos Bills for burgers and fixins .Tokyo Dining for food & service.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Our worst dining experience was Marrakesh. We thought the food was blah and we didn't get to see the belly dancers very well(they were too far from our table). I also did not like Cap'N Jacks, but my DH did. We got lobster and I thought it was Red Lobster quality, if even. And the wait was long and service slow. Spoodles did not thrill us either, but was ok. I was also not too thrilled with Whispering Canyon. The only place, though, that we won't ever do again is Marrakesh...it's the very worst place, IMO. Oh yeah, and we did CRT for breakfast and thought it was a big fat waste of 2TS. Won't do that 1 again either.

Our faves are the dinner shows, Jiko, Cape May, 'Ohana, Le Cellier and Biergarten. We liked Boatwright's a lot too. We do Liberty Tree a lot and like it, but it may be more of a tradition for us. Boma was awesome the first time, but just ok the second. We went to Coral Reef once, when it was a signature, and it was pretty yummy.

The 'middle of the run' places for us are: Sci-Fi, San Angel, Chef Mickey, Artist Point, Olivia's, Hollywood Brown Derby(did for lunch and was disappointed), Big River Grille and Yak and Yeti.
    That's about all the places we've done (plus T-Rex and Rainforest- not part of DDP and not that great, but fun for the kids).

DVC members since 2006....OKW, HH and BWV

Post Thanks / Like

I know you take your chances just about anywhere, but I have to say I've never had a "bad" experience. I enjoy the food more in some places than others, and service can vary from really attentive to a bit slow, but I've never actually had food OR service bad enough to complain about. Some have gone well out of their way...we were accomodated at Trails End despite being more than an hour late for our ressie (had NO idea it would take that long to get their by boat on a Hoop-De-Doo night), and a waiter at Chef Mickey's that was brusque and impersonal enough to put us off a bit at first, noticed right away that Goofy had "missed us" and hurried right off to get him back at our table without us even mentioning it. Okay, so maybe the food isn't 5 star - Disney has such HUGE volume coming through all the time - but I'm happy to eat there :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PittFan View Post
    The BEST we've had would have to be LeCellier. We have eaten there 7 times and absolutely loved it. That being said, we cannot justify using 2 TS credits for ANY restaurant including LeCellier, so I doubt that we will be eating there anytime soon.

The WORST we had was O'hana. Everything was overcooked and dry.
    I agree about the 2 TS credits, but I believe Le Cellier's lunch is still one. Are the portions a great deal smaller? I want to try this one and can't decide whether to go for lunch, or dinner and pay OOP>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    I agree about the 2 TS credits, but I believe Le Cellier's lunch is still one. Are the portions a great deal smaller? I want to try this one and can't decide whether to go for lunch, or dinner and pay OOP>
    I am wondering about that too. Not sure if we will know until the change occurs in March. I have to start planing for ADR's soon too and not sure if we want to do Le Cellier again or try somewhere new. Decisions, Decisions....
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

We really enjoyed the dining at Disney. Where else can you go and easily find that amount of non-chain restaurants? Yes, we do frequent NYC for that same reason. I think our favorites were Sanaa(because of a review I read here, or I would have missed it--thanks Sherri, Boma for breakfast, and Yak and Yeti for lunch. Non-favorite would have to be Whispering Canyon--the food didn't work for us there.
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Best - Bistro de Paris

Worst - Hollywood & Vine
    Jeff

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: