Quantcast Disney Junior

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney Junior

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Disney Junior

Anyone else have kids who are super excited that today's the debut of the new Disney Junior block on Disney Channel?

DS has been dying to watch Jake and the Neverland Pirates ever since he saw the first commercial for it.

Last night when he saw a commercial for it while we were watching Toy Story and it said it was coming "tomorrow" he almost freaked out. "Disney Junior is coming tomorrow, Daddy!! Is Jake and the Neverland Pirates going to be on???"

He's also pretty excited that Little Einsteins are back. I think he's been getting bored with the endless cycle of MMCH, Handy Manny, and Oso.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The only one even slightly interested in the younger Disney shows is my 5yo (the youngest of my 4). Let me tell you, TV viewing is so completely different when your oldest is 5 versus the youngest being 5.

We saw the Pirate preview and he's undecided. I thought it looked pretty cool, however, he too has become bored with the current offerings. I hope these changes create new momentum for Disney TV in our home.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

My kids are super excited about it! My daughter (4) has been counting the days until Jake and the Neverland Pirates since she saw the commercial last week. Last night she went to bed early saying, "I have to get some sleep so I don't miss the Neverland Pirates tomorrow." I'm actually really surprised that they are this excited about it because I didn't mention it at all. Disney sure knows how to market to preschoolers!

Post Thanks / Like

My 2yr old was excited about the Neverland Pirates commercials, too. The first show this morning was ok. Love the music. Looks like they're trying to mimic Dora's "stars" with the "gold dabloons" however.

Unfortunately it looks like Little Einsteins is still demoted to the 4 & 4:30 am time slots. That's what happened to JoJo before she left completely. In my opinion, Little Einsteins was one of the best preschool shows ever made, and it's running life has been way too short. Dora the Explorer has been running forever. Why does Disney have to toss aside perfectly good shows? Couldn't they recycle the better ones after a break? My older child loved Little Einsteins, and now her little brother is old enough to watch them, but he has to have them recorded since they come on so early.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by baby minnie's mommy View Post
    Unfortunately it looks like Little Einsteins is still demoted to the 4 & 4:30 am time slots. That's what happened to JoJo before she left completely. In my opinion, Little Einsteins was one of the best preschool shows ever made, and it's running life has been way too short. Dora the Explorer has been running forever. Why does Disney have to toss aside perfectly good shows? Couldn't they recycle the better ones after a break? My older child loved Little Einsteins, and now her little brother is old enough to watch them, but he has to have them recorded since they come on so early.
    Yeah ... I wish I knew the answer to that, because there are tons of older Disney Channel shows that DS8 grew up watching that I just know DS would love.

Stuff like Stanley and Higgleytown Heroes and The Koala Brothers and Johnny & the Sprites ... it's kind of a mish-mosh now, if you ask me. I wish I understood better what makes them churn through shows so quickly. From all accounts, all of those were really popular shows and certainly JoJo was. I don't know why she's gone.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

My question is what happened to it being its own dedicated channel. I would love to be able to let my kids watch Disney Junior all day and be able to turn off Dora and Nick Jr. It was originally supposed to replace Soap channel and be a stand alone...why did it change, oh why. A rethemed Playhouse Disney just isn't as cool
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    It was originally supposed to replace Soap channel and be a stand alone...why did it change, oh why.
    That is in the cards for January 2012. Here's an older article outlining the changes.

Disney Junior To Replace SOAPnet in 2012

Goodbye SOAPnet, hello Disney Junior. Disney/ABC Television Group just announced that it will launch Disney Junior, a new 24-hour basic cable/satellite channel dedicated to preschool-age children in 2012. The new channel will replace SOAPnet, now available in 75 million homes, which will end its 12-year run at that time.

Anne Sweeney, president of the Disney/ABC Television Group, addressed the decision to drop SOAPnet. "The decision to ultimately transition SOAPnet to accomplish this was not arrived at lightly," she said. "SOAPnet was created in 2000 to give daytime viewers the ability to watch time-shifted soaps, before multiplatform viewing and DVRs were part of our vocabulary. But today, as technology and our businesses evolve, it makes more sense to align this distribution with a preschool channel that builds on the core strengths of our company." Additionally, soaps, once a staple of daytime programming, have been steadily losing ground, with three, CBS' Guiding Light and As The World Turns and NBC's Passions canceled in the past couple of years.

The 24-hour Disney Junior schedule will feature 200 new episodes annually of new series, including Jake and the Never Land Pirates; current shows, including Mickey MouseClubhouse, Handy Manny, Special Agent Oso, Imagination Movers and Jungle Junction, as well as Disney features, including 101 Dalmatians, Aladdin and Little Mermaid. The Disney Junior brand will first be introduced on Disney Channel's daily programming block for preschoolers, where it will replace the current Playhouse Disney brand.

Sweeney called the launch of Disney Junior in the U.S. "the next step in our global preschool strategy, which began 10 years ago with the premiere of our first dedicated preschool channel in the UK." Outside the U.S., the 22 Playhouse Disney channels and blocks will be rebranded Disney Junior beginning in 2011.

by Nellie Andreeva

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Disney did a great job advertising this to the preschool crowd. My 2 year old was super excited for Disney Junior without us ever mentioning it. For now I just let him watch MMCH and Handy Manny. Every once and a while he watches Oso. I'm on the fence if we should start watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates. Anyone watched it yet? How is it and would it be appropriate for a 2 year old?
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Unless you're super-protective over what your child watches, I'd say it's fine. DS4 watches it and he really likes it. It's a pretty typical Disney show aimed at the under 5 set.

I'm kind of excited to see that news about SoapNet ... I remember it now that I see it again, but I forgot that was the ultimate goal.

Now let's just hope that some of the old Disney Channel programming makes its way on to new channel! BRING BACK PB&J OTTER!!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

My 2yr old loves Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I consider it very age appropriate for him. It involves counting and problem solving, and they invite the kids to "help" do the activities. The cannon they have pours out water, to wash Captain Hook away.
    It's a show I enjoy watching with my son, with fun music and scenery. My kids seem to especially enjoy shows where several kids work together to solve problems, such as Little Einsteins and now this show.

As far as SoapNet, I've been really excited about that. When DD gets home from Kindergarten there's not much on Disney for her. While I sometimes let her watch the preteen/tween shows, I don't like it to be a regular thing for her to watch. She's growing up too fast as it is! Phineas and Ferb is an exception for us, though. We've seen almost every episode!
    So anyway, she winds up watching Nick Jr. or another channel for her cartoon break after school.

Post Thanks / Like

We also miss House of Mouse, TailSpin, Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, and Timon and Pumba. I hope they block a time frame for these older shows as well. Since DVRs are more common place, they could offer these older shows in the overnight schedule (kind of like Nick at Night). Whatever they do, it's nice to see positive changes going forth.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    We also miss House of Mouse, TailSpin, Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, and Timon and Pumba. I hope they block a time frame for these older shows as well. Since DVRs are more common place, they could offer these older shows in the overnight schedule (kind of like Nick at Night). Whatever they do, it's nice to see positive changes going forth.
    I miss those, too. There currently seems to be a major gap between the preschool shows and the tween shows.

And I vote to get rid of Fishhooks.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by baby minnie's mommy View Post
    And I vote to get rid of Fishhooks.
    You know I'm right there with you, but I have o say both my older kids (8 and 4) love this show!

I don't get it at all.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You know I'm right there with you, but I have o say both my older kids (8 and 4) love this show!

I don't get it at all.
    I hate that show, its so bad. I am with you Ian, bring back PB&J Otter and I agree with others, like Tale Spin, Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers. I think they could remake some of those shows too to be more preschool oriented, but man Dark Wing and Duck Tales ruled!!! Glad to see I it is still going to be its own channel in 2012
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Well I can 100% attest that Duck Tales is still very popular with today's generation, because we have it on DVD and it's one of my kids' favorites!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

My younger son watched Jake and the Neverland Pirates the other day. It didn't really capture his interest. From what I saw, it seemed a bit too much like Dora the Explorer (the WORST preschool show on t.v., IMO).

What I noticed about it was, there was a LOT of talking! My son has an auditory processing problem, along with a speech delay. This show just sort of went over his head. There was too much dialogue, weird accents (Capt. Smee), fast talking, etc. Too much for him to keep up with. I can't imagine that many 2-3 year olds can get much enjoyment out of that show. Perhaps it's meant for the older set (4-6 year olds?).

However, I felt the animation/artwork of Jake and the Neverland Pirates was really good! Visually, it's a beautiful show.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Here's kind of a goofy Disney Junior question, but I noticed it and wanted to see if anyone else had ...

There's a "commercial" that runs on Disney Junior where they have all these Mickey heads that parade around. Each Mickey head has characters from one of the Disney Junior shows on it ... MMCH, Little Einsteins, Oso, Jake & the Neverland Pirates, Handy Manny, Chuggington, Jungle Junction, and Higgleytown Heroes!

It's really odd ... there are no other cancelled/off the air shows on there. Just HH. Do you think this means they might be bringing it back?
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

my daughter eis only 15 months..so she'll watch anything that catches her eye at the moment lol..
    i personally miss playhouse disney...this disney junior stuff hasnt won me over yet..and i think its going to take a while to do so!

im with some of you with Fishhooks..cant stand that show! but i also cant stand Timmy Time..i cant stand when my daughter will wake up some times and we are stuck watching that show..uck!

i love all the other shows though! my daughter loves MMCH..she sees that and screams mickey mickey..
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

As you can see from my picture, my family loved Bear in the Big Blue House, Stanley, PB and J Otter. I wish they would show reruns of those shows! They were truly fun for the whole family to watch.
    Hope for a Cure!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Here's kind of a goofy Disney Junior question, but I noticed it and wanted to see if anyone else had ...

There's a "commercial" that runs on Disney Junior where they have all these Mickey heads that parade around. Each Mickey head has characters from one of the Disney Junior shows on it ... MMCH, Little Einsteins, Oso, Jake & the Neverland Pirates, Handy Manny, Chuggington, Jungle Junction, and Higgleytown Heroes!

It's really odd ... there are no other cancelled/off the air shows on there. Just HH. Do you think this means they might be bringing it back?
    I saw that too! I hope so. My kids really liked that show. I thought it was unique and actually fairly educational. And, I loved trying to guess who the celebrity guest voice was.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: