Quantcast CBR, not worth it

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CBR, not worth it

Just got back from a week at CBR and thought I would share our experience. I will start by saying that we live on this board and research everything to the point of obsession, so we knew what we were getting into, but without ever staying there before you can never really know what a place is like.
    we booked a pirate room as part of the free dining promo. it was nice but after the initial "wow" factor it felt like any other hotel room. also, TS is far from OPR, and i mean far. we are used to the mega resorts in mexico and the dom rep. and we still could not believe how far it was, and like I said, we researched it here and thought we knew what to expect. We drove to OPR when we needed to, drove, like in a car, and yes we love to walk the resorts, we are not lazy. I also thought that the really close buildings were not that close, compared to other resorts.
    the pool was okay, but again, after the initial "wow" it was still only a pool.
    overall we liked CBR, but found that the resort features were so far away and spread out that we didnt use the resort as much as we had planned. I would probably classify the pirate room as "everyone should try it once, but once is enough."
    actually the best way I can sum it up is this, if we weren't crazy disney fans, obsessed with reading every message board and knowing the difference, you would have had no trouble convincing me that CBR was a value resort (we have stayed at ASMu twice). I didnt feel any difference in service or atmosphere at CBR than when we stayed at the all-stars. now when we went to the poly and GF for dinner, we noticed the increased service level, everywhere. big step up, may have to try that next time. we found that CBR was far, far closer to a value than a deluxe, and not even close to being in the middle. still love disney though!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the theme and the layout of the resort. I've enjoyed walking to/from our building and taking a rest on the hammocks they have.

The food maybe is OK, but that's why there are so many restaurants at The World. As well as many resorts to choose from.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

It's been several years since we stayed there. It was nice, but I didn't like how spread out it was. We wouldn't stay there again. I would recommend POFQ. We've stayed there a few times and liked how small it was.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

CBR is a big resort for sure, but I am curious to what areas of service you thought should have been better? I am getting ready to go in May to CBR.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you didnt have a good time there. People should be warned ahead of time that the Pirate rooms are far away from OPR. When we stayed there we avoided the main pool and used the quiet pool next to our room. It was less crowded and most of the time it had maybe 4 people in it.

Comparing CBR to GF or Poly thought isnt quite fair. Its like comparing a Honda to a Mercedes or BMW. You are looking at double if not more to stay there.
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneymom15 View Post
    It's been several years since we stayed there. It was nice, but I didn't like how spread out it was. We wouldn't stay there again. I would recommend POFQ. We've stayed there a few times and liked how small it was.

We did enjoy it, but we feel that there are better moderate resorts out there. We got a free upgrade to a prefered room so we were within a very short walk to the main building. Driving around the resort we got to feel how big it actually was. CSR was another big resort. The food court we did enjoy it, nice selection.

POFQ for us was a huge surprise as to how small it was and the food selection was pretty good.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I've stayed at all of the moderate resorts and CBR is definitely my least favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at CBR years ago and found that though it was okay, it was definately not our favorite.

The resort is very spreadout. It also seemed like it was so far from MK (which with kids - they were almost 3 at the time- is a big deal).
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Ok someone needs to defend the CBR.

We stayed there two years ago and really liked it. I found that with it being so large, it was actually quiet. I also thought the landscaping and the calypso music piped in was a great mood setter.

In fact, we enjoyed our stay so much, we are staying there again in a week.

We have a car so the size of the resort was not an issue for us. I actually liked having things spread out a bit, made it seem larger than say when we stayed at the Pop and everyone is on top of each other.

I will say the food court was not the best, but I don't plan to eat there too often so not worried about that really. As for the pirate rooms, I think they placed these where they did so they could actually have guests in those buildings. I have read on Intercot numerous times how far away from everything the pirate rooms are, so if we wanted to stay in those rooms, I would not expect to be close to anything.

Again though, this appeals to me as it means less people directly under foot.

I will say that all the reviews I read of CBR make it seem like a love or hate resort. Some people love it, others can't stand it.

I am a lover of CBR. Sorry you did not enjoy your stay.
    -- Gary --

First trip - June 19-25, 2002 FW cabins
    Second Trip - Nov 30- Dec 6 2004 Pop Century
    ThirdTrip - Nov 29 - Dec 8 2005 at the POLY!!!
    Fourth Trip - Mar 24 -31 2008, CBR
    Fifth Trip - March 19 - 25, 2011 at the CBR

Next trip - March 19 -25 2015 at CBR again! YIPPEE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bohms4 View Post
    I agree. I've stayed at all of the moderate resorts and CBR is definitely my least favorite.
    in fact, it's our least favorite resort on property, since we enjoy the theming of the values far more than the rather "anywhere else in Florida feel" we get at the CBR.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JakeontheCob View Post
    As for the pirate rooms, I think they placed these where they did so they could actually have guests in those buildings.
    Exactly right. It's just business. They're not going to use any of the preferred location buildings, that are already raking in the dough for 'em.

I also just wanted to say that - while it is a big resort and a lot of walking is to be expect - I love CBR . Here's why:

• The theming is really relaxing.
    • I personally enjoy the gift shop(s) and food court in Old Port Royale.
    • The beaches and hammocks are a nice touch you don't get with other mods or values. I love sitting on the deck chairs and watching the sun set (a great time to take photos of the resort, by the way).
    • I think the location is spot on. Obviously it's closer to Epcot and MGM, but most places in the resort seem equidistant.

However, there are your obvious downsides:

• Indeed, you can get unlucky and be put quite a walk away from Centretown. (However, we remedied this on our last trip with an enquiry to our rep. Next thing we're moved to one of the newly rennovated Nemo themed rooms.)
    • Theming isn't for everyone. That one is down to personal preference.

Obviously everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but I thought I'd argue for the other side.
    1998 : All Star Sports
    2001 : Off-Site
    2005 : Caribbean Beach
    2008 : Caribbean Beach
    2011 : Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2015 (Aug/Sept) : Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BraddyB View Post
    Comparing CBR to GF or Poly thought isnt quite fair. Its like comparing a Honda to a Mercedes or BMW. You are looking at double if not more to stay there.
    The comparison was already made equating CBR to All-Stars ... I think that Poly was mentioned to show that it was almost a shock to go to Poly, not a bridged stepping-stone from Moderate to Deluxe.

I'm afraid I agree with many of the posters ... CBR is large, it's plain, and the service we've seen there just doesn't come up to the other Moderates we've seen -- CSR and (if you can call it a moderate 'cause it's so different) Ft. Wilderness have much better service, though not Deluxe-level.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I hit the lotto the week we stayed there. We didnt have a far walk to OPR, our room was always clean. Everyday we had towel animals. We didnt really have to wait long for a bus and they usually weren't full. I found the people in food court and the gift shop very nice.

I am sure everyone has a different opinion. I would never stay at Ft Wilderness, nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea. I've been to the GF for dinner, have no desire to stay there.

The only way if someone will know if they like it or not is if they have done it.
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, although it isn't my favourite moderate, it has one of my favourite gift shops, and a very decent food court. Good thing Disney has so many different resorts to cater to all of our different tastes!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyman42 View Post
    we found that CBR was far, far closer to a value than a deluxe, and not even close to being in the middle. still love disney though!
    Have you ever stayed at any of the other Moderate resorts? Because I've never thought of the Moderates as a step up in service from the Values; rather, I see them as a step up in terms of amenities.

There are things all the Moderates, including CBR, have that the Values don't. THESE are the differences between Value and Moderate, not service. The things that the Moderates have that the Values don't include:
    *refrigerator included in the room
    *pool slide
    *pool towels at the main pool
    *ceiling fans
    *two sinks (except at CSR)
    *multiple bus stops within the resort (except POFQ, not necessary)
    *covered bus stops
    *table-service restaurant (except POFQ)
    *default room charge limit of $1,000
    *314 sq. ft. rooms (340 at CBR, compared with 260 at the Values)

I may be missing something, but you get the point. It is THOSE amenities that you paid extra for.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have to defend the CBR. I don't really expect the service to be where they wait on you "hand and foot". My reason for staying in the moderate is to have some quiet areas that you cannot find at the value resorts. I enjoy the quiet pools located in the different areas around the resort. The main pool is great for some people, but I like the quiet one better. I never thought about covered bus areas...but that is a plus. I have stayed at CBR 3 times and prefer it over the value anytime. I have AKL booked for April and CSR booked for October. I will be able to judge the difference in moderates and deluxe after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive stayed at most of the resorts except the most expensive..(see my signature)
    CBR isnt my fav mod, but it was on a list of possibles of my gf and its been a few yrs since ive been there. I did stay in Jamaica last time & liked the location. I will give my feedback when i get back. And the service isnt the noticeable diff w me from Pop to mod its the amenities.
    my fav mods are CSR & POFQ
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Another fan of CBR here.

CBR was our first on-site resort. Until CBR opened in 1989, we always stayed on International Drive. By 1988, we were getting disgusted with the noise, crowds, etc., along the drive and were ready for a change. When CBR opened, we decided to go for it. We absolutely loved it and that during that first stay, we explored every nook and cranny of the resort. We've stayed at CBR at least 10 times (each vacation is approximately 2 weeks long) since then.

Our first island was Barbados; a few stays later we moved to Martinique; and finally, to Aruba. The last time we stayed at CBR with Mom was in August 2001; she unexpectedly passed away in January 2002. To this day, I still remember the fun we had on that trip. She loved the fact that she could find a quiet place to sit, relax, and people-watch.

I may stay at other resorts on occasion, but CBR will always be my favorite. I love the colorful, island atmosphere.

And, as others have said - Isn't it great that there are so many different choices so everyone can enjoy their own special Disney resort atmosphere?
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

i have always wanted to stay here. we almsot did one year, but just couldn't pull the trigger for the price over a value.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I feel that there are Value Resorts and there are Deluxe resorts and then there are these resorts in the middle where they get a little bit more money out of you for the same value resort you couldve gotten for half the price. We really hated moderate and I would rather not waste my money so for us it is all or nothing. We either stay at a deluxe villa or camp. the inbetweens just upset us and make us feel ripped off.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD