Quantcast Healthy Living Club 2011 - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    Just a quick question: the spaghetti squash, do you use whole wheat noodles or regular noodles? The beauty of whole wheat noodles is that they take longer to digest and therefore make you feel fuller longer. They also help even out your carb level in your system. Long and short: you won't get so hungry so fast and you won't crash. Try to make that change with all your carb foods. Sweet potatoes make a great change from regular potatoes and will also change your glycemic index.
    I just informed my family last week that we're going to transition to whole wheat pasta. I got the same response as when we made the bread switch. I know we'll all get used to it in time. I'm happy to see this option more common place at the grocers.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Consider giving the Couch to 5K program from Cool Running a try. I was not a runner and avoided it because of my extremely flat feet causing knee problems. I did the Couch to 5K in the fall of 2009 and have been running ever since. I'm not fast but can run 5-6 miles now and did a couple 5K's last summer. And no knee problems!
    I began a similar program. I've never enjoyed running but I hope this give me the motivation I need. I also got some new running shoes and so far, so good.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...not sure I'd like that, either.
    It's certainly not for everybody--and has made my daily/weekly cooking virtually roommate poaching-proof. And I will say that spaghetti squash with nothing else is... blah. Not offensive, or even bad in any sense, just... blah. Mildly nutty, like most squash, but otherwise just a vehicle for what you put in it.

My trick with spaghetti squash is to gussy it up with other healthy stuff that actually makes it taste good; this way, the spaghetti squash just helps fill you up. The most popular prep method is to use a good homemade pasta sauce--sugar and starchy thickener free, of course--and serve it like its namesake. My other little trick is to go more Tex-Mex, with homemade salsa or pico de gallo, some black beans, and some shredded cheese curd, plus guacamole to taste. It's sort of like a... taco salad casserole maybe? All I know is that a.) it's tasty, b.) it's cheap, and c.) it's pretty filling for what it is.

And before I forget, thanks all around for the support. This isn't the most weight I've lost in my life (I used to be 300+ in my football days), but it's high time I get myself to a point where I'm making the right moves for the long term. 30 is fast approaching, and I'd like my BMI to be well below that by then.

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm officially committed to this lifestyle change again. I recently joined a new gym (one where my most exercise-obsessed friend goes) and have signed up for their weight-loss competition. I have been to my first spinning classes since college and LOVE it! I'm exhausted from another epic work-out but know it is for the best!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Just celebrated my birthday with family. My sister bought me a pair of capris in a size smaller than I've been wearing. I thought I'd have to exchange them, but they not only fit, but fit very comfortably!

Dirty Bird Street, Lettripp, good for you guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...not sure I'd like that, either.
    This really made me laugh! I like it, but it's definitely not for everyone. The texture is really different and the flavor alone is very bland. I actually enjoy it more with a topping other than traditional spaghetti sauce because then I don't expect it to be spaghetti, if that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

My vegetarianism went out with a bang recently, and now I'm enjoying some chicken and bison along with my vegetables and beans. For those of you that haven't tried bison, I highly recommend it if you want/need a red meat fix. Lower in fat and cholesterol, and really good flavor; I won't say gamy, but certainly more going on that even most grass-fed beef. Good for any application where you'd normally use beef.

Oh, and for those of you (like me, sad to say) with sweet tooth that will never quite leave you alone, may I recommend Emerald cocoa roasted almonds. Nowhere near the sugar/carbs of other candied nuts, a good dark chocolate flavor, and all the healthiness of almonds. I pop about 10-15 of these bad boys for a daily work snack, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the highlight of my day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bird Street View Post

Oh, and for those of you (like me, sad to say) with sweet tooth that will never quite leave you alone, may I recommend Emerald cocoa roasted almonds. Nowhere near the sugar/carbs of other candied nuts, a good dark chocolate flavor, and all the healthiness of almonds.
    Ditto. Yummy.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bird Street View Post

Oh, and for those of you (like me, sad to say) with sweet tooth that will never quite leave you alone, may I recommend Emerald cocoa roasted almonds. Nowhere near the sugar/carbs of other candied nuts, a good dark chocolate flavor, and all the healthiness of almonds. I pop about 10-15 of these bad boys for a daily work snack, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the highlight of my day.
    I can never seem to satiate my sweet tooth. For that reason I keep dark chocolate nuggets around. It does a good job most of the time and dark chocolate (in moderation) is good for you.

After reading your post yesterday, I dreamed about eating those Emerald almonds and I've never even had them!
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I lost 15 lbs. seemingly easily/quickly, but I hit a plateau a few weeks ago and can't seem to get going in the right direction again. So frustrating. My initial goal is 20 lbs., although my end goal was really only 25 (maybe 30 lbs.) and fitting into a few pairs of shorts I haven't worn in a couple of years.

Anyway, the weather has improved so I've started exercising - riding my bike, using the elliptical at the gym. However, since I've started exercising, I feel exhausted. I thought exercising was supposed to give you energy? And, my DH has asked what's wrong with me lately because I've been grouchy! Sigh...

Anyway, I'm going to keep going. Guess I am just grouchy.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    Okay, I lost 15 lbs. seemingly easily/quickly, but I hit a plateau a few weeks ago and can't seem to get going in the right direction again. So frustrating. My initial goal is 20 lbs., although my end goal was really only 25 (maybe 30 lbs.) and fitting into a few pairs of shorts I haven't worn in a couple of years.

Anyway, the weather has improved so I've started exercising - riding my bike, using the elliptical at the gym. However, since I've started exercising, I feel exhausted. I thought exercising was supposed to give you energy? And, my DH has asked what's wrong with me lately because I've been grouchy! Sigh...

Anyway, I'm going to keep going. Guess I am just grouchy.
    Mizzy. You have done incredibly well! The last five or ten pounds are always the hardest. I think you need to check your nutrition plan. How much are you eating? How much of which food group are you eating? How much are you exercising? How many calories are you burning in your workouts? A really good 45 to 60 minute workout can burn up to 1000 calories. You may be starving!

You've started to exercise, correct? And you feel tired all the time? You are probably in starvation mode! You might have to actually start eating more, and look at your carb intake.

(At this point, I would almost like to tell you to take two whole wheat or multi-grain bagels slathered in peanut butter and call me in the morning!)

Do it gently. Don't start getting your carbs through Tim Horton's or Dunkin' Donuts. Try getting some low or medium glycemic carbs into your eating plan. Here are some good ones:

Steel ground oatmeal, not instant oatmeal
    Whole wheat bread
    Frozen green peas
    Raw carrots
    Broccoli
    Snickers Bar (Really??? Yup! Lots of fat, though.)
    Chocolate milk and just about any dairy product, except ice cream and whipped cream
    Peanuts
    Cashews
    Nuts and raisins
    Hummus
    Any legume, provided it's not in sauce
    Corn chips - in moderation
    Whole wheat pasta
    Brown rice

Watermelon actually has a high glycemic index, but you would have to eat so much of it to make worrisome that you would be swimming in it.

Some of these foods are higher in calories, so you need to watch that you don't overdo the calories, but I really think with your exercising, you may need to increase calories as well.

Remember, I am not a personal trainer, dietitian or nutritionist. I only know what has worked for me.
    Last edited by garymacd; 04-06-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Pressed the wrong button. Silly, silly me.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

You've started to exercise, correct? And you feel tired all the time? You are probably in starvation mode! You might have to actually start eating more, and look at your carb intake.
    Thanks for the advice! The diet I'm following is low carb and high protein. I did have a serving of sweet potatoes at lunch yesterday and a serving of brown rice for dinner and nuts are my snack of choice, but maybe I need to increase my carbs a bit. Thanks!

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH

Post Thanks / Like

I think Gary offered great advice! Make sure your food intake is balanced. Don't forget about your veggies! They're filling and they'll give you energy. Also, don't be afraid to re-evaluate your workout routine. It is possible to put yourself in a mode where you're just really hungry because you're working out a lot.

Great job on the weight loss! I've hit that plateau too, and I'm trying to look more closely at what I'm eating, making sure it's really balanced and varying my work out a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice! The diet I'm following is low carb and high protein. I did have a serving of sweet potatoes at lunch yesterday and a serving of brown rice for dinner and nuts are my snack of choice, but maybe I need to increase my carbs a bit. Thanks!
    Low carb diets are fine for the short term, but after you have lost weight, and increase your cardio, you need more carbs in your diet just to continue to move.

Remember: most of our caloric intake goes to just keeping your body alive, breathing, heart pumping and brain thinking. Add to that the fact that your body needs to repair itself (it needs protein and carbs to do that). Then if you add an exercise regime on top of that and you do not add more calories, yes, you will lose weight, but only until your body has to start feeding on itself.

For a while, it can use up fat; but when your fat content drops below a certain point, your body starts eating muscle and throwing your hormones out of whack. Not a good situation to be in. That is starvation mode.

Two really bad things about starvation mode:

1. Your metabolism slows down so that it can conserve its energy, fat and muscle stores. Exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

2. When your body stays in starvation mode, it trains itself to be better and sneakier at storing fat when the food intake returns to normal, making it harder to lose that weight again.

Preaching! Stopping now. Must get to bed and ready for a busy day tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I think it's important to make sure your diet is balanced.

I've added some light weight lifting to my workout. Any opinions on if it should be every day, or every other day? It's just 10lbs. right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Preaching! Stopping now. Must get to bed and ready for a busy day tomorrow.
    Not preaching at all! I really appreciate the advice and learning/being reminded of good nutrition tips.

I am such a carb-oholic and not really a meat eater that I really cut carbs and increased my proteins for the diet .... and it worked very well for the first month or so. Now, I'm learning about and trying to balance more on my diet. This morning, instead of my usual all protein breakfast (egg beaters or turkey sausage links), I had two sweet potato pancakes (no syrup) after my morning workout. We'll see if it helps. My only issue is I find that I am not as hungry if I eat a protein breakfast. But, I am having my normal almond snack so that should help my protein.

That's a big thing about dieting, I feel like I am always so concious about food, always thinking about it ...

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. This thread really is great.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I agree. I think it's important to make sure your diet is balanced.

I've added some light weight lifting to my workout. Any opinions on if it should be every day, or every other day? It's just 10lbs. right now.
    I only do weight bearing or resistance training three times a week, and always different muscle groups. Spread weight training out so that you never do two days in a row. Put in days of different cardio, core strength or stretching between your strength training days.

Your muscles need days off to recover. Every lift you make, every time to walk up a big set of stairs, everytime you pick your children up, you are exercising and giving yourself micro tears in your muscles. DON'T PANIC! This is normal and a way to make your muscles grow.

When you take a day off, your body begins to repair the damage by removing any damaged tissue and replacing it with new muscle fibres. As you exercise, your body realises that it needs more muscle tissue and adds to your already bulging biceps! But the days off are important, as is a good night's sleep. Your body repairs itself when you sleep.

You've no doubt heard people say they burn calories in their sleep? You do. Your body still functions when you are asleep. If you are working out hard or just plain working hard, your body is repairing itself while you sleep. The harder the workout, the more energy it takes to repair damage, the more damage, the calories you burn while you sleep.

So, why do you need to increase your calorie intake when you are exercising? To stop from crashing in the middle of the workout, to continue functioning during the rest of the day, and to assist your body in maintenance. It's not just the calories you burn when working out. It's the whole package!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a big thing about dieting, I feel like I am always so concious about food, always thinking about it ...
    I completely agree with you, which is why I cannot diet. I think dieting creates that obsessive behavior in regards to food, and that's as much an unhealthy relationship with food as eating poorly is. I think trying to learn how to balance what we eat, control our portions, and avoid making foods taboo, is what will lead to a long term weight loss. Well, hopefully it will, because that's how I'm trying to approach it!

Post Thanks / Like

I only do weight bearing or resistance training three times a week, and always different muscle groups. Spread weight training out so that you never do two days in a row. Put in days of different cardio, core strength or stretching between your strength training days.
    Ok, I'll stagger it then. Right now, I'm only doing arm exercises with the weights. I try to do yoga/stretching every day, and about 45 minutes on the treadmill 6 days a week. I haven't learned any core strength or abs exercises yet, but I'm hoping to be able to take a local class to learn some.

So, why do you need to increase your calorie intake when you are exercising? To stop from crashing in the middle of the workout, to continue functioning during the rest of the day, and to assist your body in maintenance. It's not just the calories you burn when working out. It's the whole package!
    Is this why I go through stretches where I feel like I can't get enough to eat? There are days where I feel hungry ALL DAY, no matter what I eat or when. I end up having more snacks, or more frequent/smaller meals. I try to keep it all healthy, but I don't always succeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Is this why I go through stretches where I feel like I can't get enough to eat? There are days where I feel hungry ALL DAY, no matter what I eat or when. I end up having more snacks, or more frequent/smaller meals. I try to keep it all healthy, but I don't always succeed.
    Exactly! As you ramp up exercise, your metabolism increases. I need to get my bicycle out and ready to start riding back and forth to work soon. The weather just hasn't cooperated and I have been extremely busy with my small business as well, so it hasn't happened yet. The ride is 20 km each way, four times a week, so it's pretty strenuous.

About two weeks after I start, I will, all of a sudden, notice that I CANNOT get enough to eat! My metabolism has increased and I am literally burning calories as I sleep to repair the damage to my body during the rides. I also burn about 1200 calories a day just on the ride.

I couldn't continue to function on a 2000 calorie a day intake. I burn about 2000 calories a day just living.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks! Understanding what's happening makes me feel a little bit better. I know I don't burn anywhere near the calories as you do biking, but I have been trying to add to the work out in small ways. If you maintain the same workout will the same thing happen with your hunger in cycles?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: