Quantcast Saddest thing you've heard at WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Saddest thing you've heard at WDW

I've told this story before, a long time ago, but reading the thread about funny things heard, I wanted to tell it again, as it has stuck with me all these years, and also with DS, now 26 with a family of his own.
    We were in MK, and DS, then 12, went off by himself to buy a drink. When he came back he was obviously upset about something. When I asked what was the matter, he said he was fine, but nodded towards his little sister, who he didnt want to hear, and whispered he would tell me later. As soon as I could get him alone I asked what had happened. He told me he had seen a family, parents, a boy about his age and a little girl about 6. The parents were arguing loudly, cursing and shouting abuse at each other. The little girl was crying, very distressed, the boy was looking around embarrassed, trying to comfort his sister, and saying to the parents "Please dont fight, we'll be good, we'll do anything, but please dont fight, not here!" The parents ignored him and went on shouting at each other.
    DS said he wanted to do something to help them but didnt think he should interfere, so he came back to us. I told him he had done the right thing, there was nothing he could do, and I hugged him, and, when we caught up I hugged both his surprised sisters. (Not that I dont often hug them, but not usually in line for SpM!)
    I have often wondered how the day, and the rest of their lives, went for these kids. Was it just a moment of parental meltdown, its not just kids it happens to, or where they living with this all the time and even the most magical place couldnt stop it?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry your son had to see prents behave that way. Itis sad that that the parents involved were so wrapped up in themselves that they could not see that they were hurting their kids and other children as well.

On our last trip we stayed in the parks longer than we usually do. Around 2:00 you could visibly see parents and children reach the meltdown stage. It can be too much for some people to handle, the lines, the heat, the lights, sounds, characters, and colors.

Family rule: leave parks by 1:30 head back to resort for some down time. Return after 5:00.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Sad to say, it's not just kids that meltdown. And the kids probably do live with it, all the time. My parents used to meltdown frequently especially when traveling.

The only time we all visited a Disney park together proved to be one of the happiest times I can remember, growing up. We were living in southern California, my dad was employed by IBM, and we all went to IBM night at Disneyland. I was being a difficult teen, not wanting to go to a kid place. My younger brother and sister were the only ones really glad to be at Disneyland.

Towards the end of the night we were riding PotC for the first time. From the very beginning the whole experience was magical. My parents are the once is enough kind but when we exited that ride we were looking questions at each other - do we ride again? Except my mother, who was already most of the way to the entrance. As we ran to catch up, we were saying, We're going again!

I don't recall before or after ever seeing my mother so completely, utterly transported to a happier place. I learned that night that WDW is not just a kid place.

Hopefully, amongst the bickering, more unhappy parents can find a small bit of happiness at WDW, even if it looks as tho they are not having a very good time. And maybe those unhappy kids will be happier parents at Disney parks, in the future.

Sometimes, the most magical place can make a difference.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

A Disney trip, for many people is a once or twice in a lifetime experience, so there is a lot of pressure, expectations and emotions all wrapped up in the "Disney trip". That can lead to a lot more stress than even the most magical place can remove.

But, my sad story shows how the magic can help heal too!

On our honeymoon, DH and I were eating at LTT in the MK. Beside us was a table with two women and their children. One of the kids, a young boy (probably around 4 or 5) had a backpack, with a large picture of a face on it). I commented on it as we sat down "how silly is that", or something to the like.

As the meal progressed, we overheard the server ask about the backpack. Well, it turns out that the picture is the Dad, who was unexpectedly deployed to Iraq. Since Dad couldn't come on the trip any more, Mom and kid decided to come with friends, and bring him along (through the picture) so they could share all of their Disney adventures with him. The boy talked all about the great time he was having, but how he wished his Dad was there with him.

Well, I teared up, the server teared up and I think even Minnie (there were still characters at LTT then) teared up.

The magic kicked in though, all of the characters appeared and signed a special "memories book" that was suddenly found, a special picture for Dad, etc. For a few minutes everyone was focused on sending good memories to Dad and making the boy feel super-special, and many talked about how brave he was being.

So, a long post, but it was the saddest thing I'd ever seen, even as the Disney magic worked to make a sad time a little less sad.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I went Jan/Feb. of 2009 to celebrate our 20th anniversary. As we were hold hands and strolling through Epcot, we over heard a young couple who had on "Honeymoon" buttons with the wife looking at the husband saying, "See, they are OLD and they are having a great time together. They understand what it is all about. Why don't you get it?" And it went on. We ended up veering off on a side path because we were tired of hearing the nagging, but how sad that their honeymoon wasn't a happy occasion.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Saddest thing I ever saw was in the Pop Century MK bus queue one morning.

A young family with a boy around 10 and a girl around 7 were in front of us. The parents were arguing and getting loud. I was very uncomfortable standing there with my sons and their children were visably upset. Finally the Mother pulled the kids out of the line and went to sit on a bench against the building, the Dad stormed into the resort store. Just then, the bus pulled up. I boarded and looked back at the bench as we pulled away and the kids were sitting there watching us drive off and the little girl started to sob.. it broke my heart.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Saddest thing I've heard is parents telling children that they must enjoy themselves because of the money they've spent!
    Kevin AKA Womble
    Disneyland Ca. 91-92 / Offsite 93-96-97-98-02-03-07 /
    Caribbean Beach 94-95-98 / All-star 99-01 / PO French Quater 00 / Coronado Springs 04 / PO Riverside 05-06

Post Thanks / Like

The saddest thing I have ever seen in Disney was a young couple complaining about the children around them on the bus. The girl was visibly irritated at a baby crying (not badly or over the top, just a typical baby cry) and had no problem complaining about it. Hello, you're in Disney, kids are part of the package! Even the crying ones, it happens (not to mention we were staying at the All Star Movies not the GF). Some day her child (or a child very close to her heart) will be upset and crying, she'll be sad that they are upset and I hope she looks back at her attitude and impatience with the poor baby on the bus.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We were waiting on the dock of the WL to go back to the MK and had to wait for those people to disembark from the boat. A small girl dropped her toy and shrieked "Wait!" to her parents. (She sounded like she'd hit her "limit" for the day.) Her father yelled, "I don't want to hear it when you loose it in the lake and start to cry!" DH was absolutely shocked.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Default grateful

While staying at the Polynesian, I met a wonderful mom who told me that she and her family were "living the dream" during their trip. After saying something like, "oh yeah, Disney is great" she told me that her 4 year old daughter had 2 months to live and they were there for her Make-A-Wish trip and that her daughter kept thanking her husband and her. My heart broke a little bit that day, but it made me see what a wonderful organization Make a Wish is and I support it in memory of that little girl.

Post Thanks / Like

This was sad but so touching at the same time. I think it represents the best of Disney.

FOTLK. There was a young girl in a wheelchair with her parents. She some very severe disabilities. She was holding a Pumba stuffed animal and we were sitting in Pumba's section.

At the end of the show when the cast walks around with kids from the audience, they wheeled her around. Her eyes were lit up like diamonds. My dad and I just sat there crying.
    It still chokes me up thinking about it.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

Three days ago I didn't hear something sad but witnessed something that made me so angry I had to get away from these people! This family was walking from the parking lot to the TTC. They had a little girl probably about 18 months of one of those leash things. They were walking extremely fast and you could tell her little legs couldn't keep up. She was crying and holding her arms up for them to hold her. The just ignored her and kept pulling her leash like she was a dog! This went on for the entire walk from the Minnie parking lot to the TTC. I felt so bad for this little baby girl. You could tell she was exhausted trying to keep up with her family but they just kept pulling her along on her leash so they could get to the monorail quickly. I wanted to snatch her up and carry her and give the mother a piece of my mind. We took the ferry because I could not bare to keep watching this! I keep saying some people do NOT deserve to have children and this woman was obviously one of them! How would she feel is someone put her on a leash and dragged her around like a dog while she was exhausted! Ok sorry I had to speak my piece now I am done. But the story you shared was very sad as well.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Saddest thing I've heard is parents telling children that they must enjoy themselves because of the money they've spent!
    That is awful My sad moments are similar to many of all of your posts. Mainly seeing families melting down together. Tired kids, with parents pushing them to do more because they HAVE spent a lot of money. But not realizing that children are human beings too and need breaks and can only handle so much.

I'm very fortunate to live near WDW and have passes, so it's much easier for us to just go a few hours or take it easy the whole day. Sometimes I do wish people would just slow down and "enjoy the moment" though. In the end sanity and having a few happy memories is so much more fulfilling than cramming everything in, then looking back and remember only being tired, cranky and fighting!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quite a few years ago on a trip my father started a conversation with a couple while waiting in line at a food court with my younger sister, then just a toddler. Long story short they ended up being very honest, saying they had been there two years earlier with their own young daughter compliments of a Make a Wish trip. They had since started coming back on the anniversary of the trip, sadly since she had passed, because of how important the memories of that trip was for them.

My parents took in that trip with a whole different light after meeting that couple.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the saddest sights I ever see at WDW are of tired, over-heated children. Sure, some of these parents got strollers for their children, but the parks are still huge, hot much of the time and with the constant stimulus of color, noise and crowds. It would be better, IMHO, to decide to take it at a slower pace (kid-paced, I used to tell my husband), take breaks and just accept they will not be able to see everything. They will have less-stressed children and happier, more relaxed memories of their time together.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and i were discussing this thread earlier this morning, she reminded me of when we were waiting in line to ride Big Thunder a few years ago. There was a family in line behind us, the young girl must have been 7 or 8, she was going through the park map and told her dad she wanted to check out the hall of presidents. I remember her dad laughing at her and calling her a dork for wanting to see Hall of Presidents.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    My wife and i were discussing this thread earlier this morning, she reminded me of when we were waiting in line to ride Big Thunder a few years ago. There was a family in line behind us, the young girl must have been 7 or 8, she was going through the park map and told her dad she wanted to check out the hall of presidents. I remember her dad laughing at her and calling her a dork for wanting to see Hall of Presidents.
    That makes me sad. I hate when I see parents knocking kids for liking books, science, history or anything they might consider "nerdy." Too many parents are concerned with their kids being "cool."
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Womble Saddest thing I've heard is parents telling children that they must enjoy themselves because of the money they've spent
    that would be number one. Number two would be unappreciative (translated spoiled) kids/teens who purposefully refuse to smile and enjoy themselves just to deprive their parents of the joy of knowing they made their children happy.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    that would be number one. Number two would be unappreciative (translated spoiled) kids/teens who purposefully refuse to smile and enjoy themselves just to deprive their parents of the joy of knowing they made their children happy.
    I've seen this happen too, but even with my own children, when they are having off times, I just think 'in the end they aren't hurting me or preventing me from smiling or having fun. They'll be the ones missing out. So I have all the more fun '.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never really experienced any heart breaking moments at a Disney property. One time we were exiting Epcot and a nice older lady's "ecv" ran out of battery juice near Canada. I pushed her to the bus stop and then to her room at POP. It was sad that nobody else offered to help her. I guess the saddest thing I've heard was when a CM told me she was sold out of churro's for the evening. That was a tough one.
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: