Quantcast We're finally going back! Day 1

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default We're finally going back! Day 1

Castmembers

Me – 33
    DH – 34
    DD – 8
    DS – 4

As a little bit of background, we did a split stay with 2 nights at Pop and 3 at Beach Club. A big thank you to Kathy at Magical Journeys for making this the most painless vacation I’ve ever booked. Also, we chose to drive from our home in southern Wisconsin to WDW. The plan was to be on the road on Saturday, Feb. 4th by 4:00 am. By noon on Friday I was so ready to leave work. My brain was no longer in work mode. Friday night was filled with getting the last minute packing done and getting the car all ready to go so that all we had to do was pack up the cooler, throw it in the car and hit the road. We’d gotten everything ready to go and I was in bed by 9pm. I was taking the first leg of the driving, so I had the early bed time.

Let’s just say 3 am comes mighty early no matter what time you go to bed. Even though I hopped out of bed, okay more like thudded out of bed, showered and had the cooler packed and in the car by about 3:40. I was hoping to put the kids in the car still asleep, but they were just too excited and were up and ready to go by about 3:45.

The only one not raring to go was DH. Somehow he came down with some sort of bug and was really dragging. Well we didn’t end up getting on the road until close to 4:30, a half hour behind schedule. Something you should know about me is I’m a planner -down to the minute type of planner. This delay was not making me happy. But I kept telling myself “who cares, we are going to Disney World!” The rule we told the kids is we wouldn’t turn on the movies until 7:00 am, in hopes they’d at least fall asleep for a little bit. Well, no such luck. But they did awesome and waited patiently until 7. After about 7 the trip was a blur. I know we hit Paducah, KY around 11, had lunch in Nashville, and we hit Atlanta around dinner time. Everyone was holding up pretty well until about an hour south of Atlanta. That’s when the troops started lagging. Somewhere around Macon, GA is where we got one of the quotes of the trip from DS who was just barely holding it together, “Mom, my butt checks hurt!” I got everyone to hold on for a little while longer. We eventually stopped at the Fairfield Inn in Tifton, GA. They were great and ended up giving us a suite for the price of a regular room. We went out grabbed some Chick-fil-A and then went to bed. We needed to get to sleep because we were going to Disney World the next day!
    Oct 97 All Star Music
    Dec 2008 CBR - First Family Trip
    February 2012 POP/BC

"I could get used to a view like this. Yep, I'm used to it. Guys I want a castle."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Have done that drive many times from MI. I am always amazed at the vastness of Georgia!
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Even though you had some minor bumps...you are off to a great start!!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SallyMcQueen View Post
    . By noon on Friday I was so ready to leave work. My brain was no longer in work mode.
    I can so relate to this!! You really traveled quite some distance on your first day. Sounds like your kids are really good travelers!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Wow! You and your family put in some miles !
    I agree with you, 3am is a rough start, regardless of when you went to bed.
    Hopefully your husband is feeling better. Of to your next post to find out!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a long day

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We always drive down so I know the feelings, and I can feel the excitment through your post about the trip down there!!! Your post reminds me of our drives to WDW. Sounds like a long, but productive day!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That is a long day! We used to do the drive from St Paul and would have never made it that far!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds awesome! Getting excited for next month just reading your trip report, even excited about packin and driving....
    Please stop for a moment set aside an hour and go find a police officer working a beat and thank them..164 officers last year never got that thank you.. ~ Borrowed and Edited from Nick Ruggiero
    April 24th-29th 2012 WL

Post Thanks / Like

We're leaving in just over a month and your report is getting me so excited!

I can't believe how good your kids were! I love the quote from your son! Just priceless!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!