Quantcast The Dragon... - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Dragon...

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to see a daytime picture of the dragon, google images "Disney flying dragon."

It peels away a lot of the magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    If you want to see a daytime picture of the dragon, google images "Disney flying dragon."

It peels away a lot of the magic.
    So does seeing obviously-faked "viral" videos.

What's worse is, I already KNOW that the "dragon" is just technology (and not a "real" dragon.)

What makes me sad is seeing that Disney will now stoop to the level of lesser promoters and manufacture intentionally deceptive "home videos" to hype something that is, quite frankly, magical ENOUGH, per se, just as it actually exists.

"Over-selling" to an unsuspecting and trusting public is in the realm of weekend INFOMERCIALS for ersatz body-building gear and pseudo diet supplements.
    The Photoshopped "before and after" photos, scripted testimonials, and feigned "excitement" of "real people" in contrived videos used to be shunned by the Disney Company.

Looks like we're over that hump, now.

Caveat Emptor!
    (And, every man for himself!)

Post Thanks / Like

Let us not forget the biggest fail of this was: a one month viral campaign aimed at the general public/Disney fans for a one time showing of this dragon to.... media.

Yes, in my opinion, Marketing and P/R failed big time...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    feigned "excitement" of "real people" in contrived videos used to be shunned by the Disney Company.
    Uh, the Soarin' and Tower of Terror promo video and print ads come to mind here. Actually, it seems something Disney has been doing for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

So does seeing obviously-faked "viral" videos.

What's worse is, I already KNOW that the "dragon" is just technology (and not a "real" dragon.)

What makes me sad is seeing that Disney will now stoop to the level of lesser promoters and manufacture intentionally deceptive "home videos" to hype something that is, quite frankly, magical ENOUGH, per se, just as it actually exists.

"Over-selling" to an unsuspecting and trusting public is in the realm of weekend INFOMERCIALS for ersatz body-building gear and pseudo diet supplements.
    The Photoshopped "before and after" photos, scripted testimonials, and feigned "excitement" of "real people" in contrived videos used to be shunned by the Disney Company.

Looks like we're over that hump, now.

Caveat Emptor!
    (And, every man for himself!)
    Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Let us not forget the biggest fail of this was: a one month viral campaign aimed at the general public/Disney fans for a one time showing of this dragon to.... media.

Yes, in my opinion, Marketing and P/R failed big time...
    I don't actually mind the "fake" home videos and photoshopped pics for a marketing campaign. I also don't mind that the dragon was a one-time-only show. But I think DisneyFreak has a point here.

The targeted audience for the marketing promos was the general public. The actual audience for the unveiling was not -- it was media who attended the press/web event, who then in turn hyped up a beautiful, amazing effect that the general public will never get to see. While they incorporated the psychology of building excitement for the New Fantasyland, there is some logic missing here.

DisneyFreak, I agree with you this time.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I don't actually mind the "fake" home videos and photoshopped pics for a marketing campaign. I also don't mind that the dragon was a one-time-only show. But I think DisneyFreak has a point here.

The targeted audience for the marketing promos was the general public. The actual audience for the unveiling was not -- it was media who attended the press/web event, who then in turn hyped up a beautiful, amazing effect that the general public will never get to see. While they incorporated the psychology of building excitement for the New Fantasyland, there is some logic missing here.

DisneyFreak, I agree with you this time.
    It takes a while but I grow on people... Sooner or later people start seeing and understanding my points... LOL

Truth is, I don't mind it being a one time use thing for the media... I truly have no issue with that what so ever... It is hype, I get it... But, doing the viral campaign aimed at the general public, and Disney fans in particular (cause lets face it, how much of the general public will pay attention to a Disney Dragon tumblr account) for a one time use thing just reeks of failure...

I hope complaints file into the people with the plaid vests at Guest Services, parents kicking up a storm about how their child was expecting to see a flying dragon and Disney let them down... The complaints online are massive and growing...

I just wonder if any of this would ever sink into the thick skulls in Orlando management... Ahhh the shake up cannot come fast enough...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Well maybe they can use the dragon again at the opening of “Avatarland” in AK??

Heck… isn’t there a silhouette of a dragon on the AK “Welcome” sign that tells you to “Have a Wild Time”?? (*stirs pot again and smiles sweetly*)

Just sayin'...
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post

I hope complaints file into the people with the plaid vests at Guest Services, parents kicking up a storm about how their child was expecting to see a flying dragon and Disney let them down... The complaints online are massive and growing...
    You HOPE this happens?

Geez...I would find that to be incredibly whiny and entitled behavior, at best.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    You HOPE this happens?

Patronizing Part 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    You HOPE this happens?

The only way things get through the thick skulls of the mis-management team in WDW is by complaints... Maybe someone will finally wake up out of their coma and realize they cannot treat tourists like idiots anymore...

So yes, I hope there are tons of complaints about this...

Post Thanks / Like

I am so confused. So the videos showing people pointing at this dragon flying over Disney was just a media event? No guests got to see this? Really?
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    I am so confused. So the videos showing people pointing at this dragon flying over Disney was just a media event? No guests got to see this? Really?
    Which videos?

There were many FAKED videos (made by Disney) of guests pointing up in the sky at a "dragon."

In those videos, there was no dragon in the sky at all.
    The shots were staged, the people were just acting for the camera, with a computer-generated dragon image added in the edit studio.

Of the videos the night of Dec. 5, the dragon (utra-light aircraft hybrid) was flying overhead, and those guests in the Magic Kingdom were press people.

Post Thanks / Like

Which videos?

There were many FAKED videos (made by Disney) of guests pointing up in the sky at a "dragon."

In those videos, there was no dragon in the sky at all.
    The shots were staged, the people were just acting for the camera, with a computer-generated dragon image added in the edit studio.

Of the videos the night of Dec. 5, the dragon (utra-light aircraft hybrid) was flying overhead, and those guests in the Magic Kingdom were press people.
    So are there any real videos with real GUESTS watching the dragon fly or is it all just for the press?
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    So are there any real videos with real GUESTS watching the dragon fly or is it all just for the press?
    Nope... No guests got to see or will get to see this dragon... The only ones who saw it were the ones invited to the press event, that's it... I believe John posted a video he took (or someone from Intercot took) who was there for the event... That video isn't staged... That is what the invited media saw... You, as a regular guest, will not see this during your next trip, even though they did a month long viral campaign targeted to the general public (you, me and everyone NOT media invited guests), letting you think a flying dragon would make appearances in the sky over Fantasyland...

Want to try to get that to change? When there complain to the plaids in Guest Services, write letters to management... And when those fall on deaf ears, complain some more!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Not to , really, and even though my comments above are still true, I won't complain to Disney. Why? Because I don't care that much. I won't go to the New Fantasyland and think, "This is all really great, but man, that dragon! Those dang media got to see something I will never see!"

I think it was a really cool effect, and I'm not going to obsess over the marketing. Moving on.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Aurora, I totally agree.

The media get to see a LOT of stuff we never see.

Get a job in the media if you feel slighted.

I honestly didn't follow this "viral" campaign. I heard about it, but it just didn't interest me enough to actually visit the webpage or click on the link in the email they sent me about "breaking the spell" or whatever.

Frankly, the entire contrived "backstory" to New Fantasyland is just silly. "The land has always been there..." Really? Okay. No it hasn't. It was built there in the late 60's, after Walt Disney decided to put it there. Nobody seems bothered to point out that this can also be construed as false advertising.

Nobody cares, though!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

OK...I'm reading all these messages bashing Disney for 'proofing out' an idea over MK for the opening of New Fantasyland and I'm thinking....Why would Disney, or any other company for that matter, do something like this without an idea that they would be using the same, or similar, technology/thought/idea somewhere (FL, CA, Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai, etc.) in the not too distant future?

How many things were 'tested' at Disneyland and/or Walt Disney World only to show up at other parks later?

Yes, this was a so-called 'onetime event' and the viral 'press' on it was highly misleading, but I'm not ready to call it a massive "fail" just because I will (most probably) never get to see it in person. I never got to see Lucky or Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker in the parks either. Unfortunate for me, but not a "fail" on Disney's part.

How about we all just reign in our ire for a bit on this one? Give Disney an opportunity to evaluate the reaction and see where it goes from here, if anywhere.....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

The "home video" take on things doesn't bother me. That has been Disney's angle for a while. Remember how they had everyone doing videos of surprising their loved ones or the commercials where the parents are in bed and one says they can't sleep? Yes, they are a little different, but it is the same idea of it being centered around a family's experience.

Although I think it would be a huge waste of money to only use the dragon once, it won't make or break my trips if I don't get to see it. What does get me irritated though is the thought that they have made cutbacks in other areas while wasting money on a one-time shot.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    The "home video" take on things doesn't bother me. That has been Disney's angle for a while.

1- Remember how they had everyone doing videos of surprising their loved ones or

2- the commercials where the parents are in bed and one says they can't sleep?
    1- Those WERE real home videos.

2- Those were obviously studio-made commercials.

No problem with either of those things.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: