Quantcast Thinking FastPass+ Through a Bit - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    And with how long phones take to charge, you can be looking at waiting possibly an hour...

Put it in perspective: using the phone to take pictures, having to be on the app practically all the time (for your FP+, ADRs, and ride wait times along with the park maps), and the connection to the weak wifi, battery life will not last long at all...
    Sorry. I had to jump off my computer and didn't have a chance to finish my thoughts on my last post. And now I'm on my phone so this will probably be typo ridden.

I think what will matter is how the average user uses the app in the parks. Will they keep it up all they for the maps and the wait times? I have used the app in the parks and yes it does use up battery if you keep it running. I never do. I might make and ADR or check a wait time for something on the other side of the park . I have never used the map. Will the average user use it like I do? I don't know?

If you've scheduled your fast passes and not making changes , will there be a reason to keep it running? I have no idea about that either.

I do feel prett certain that no matter how many charging stations Disney provides there is no way they can meet the demand. As I mentioned they couldn't meet the demand in the Chase lounge when I was there. Lots of people with phones and iPads.

For me, it won't change anything. Between. Twitter, photos , videos , Facebook and maybe the occasional Intercot post , I regularly recharge at least twice during the day and carry enough for 4.

I think the WiFi as it is was on my last visit is a definite issue. The signal dropped a lot and ran the battery down a lot. I switched back to my cell service. I think I said this on a different thread but I really wish Disney would give some real answers so we would all know but I'm afraid they don't know themselves.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am of the wait and see side of the fence. Quite honestly, this will have minimal impact on my vacation. I know, I know, it will lengthen my wait times... If that happens, it will still have minimal impact on my vacation.
    On our typical 10 day park stay, we get maybe four fast passes. And that's if we happen to be strolling by a fast pass station that is open and it's a ride we might want to do later, and we plan on being in that same park later, and we aren't already going somewhere in particular, and...
    With that in mind, count me as one of those folks that won't be online sixty days prior to my trip. Ain't gonna happen. That, my friends, is the definition of hitting the parks commando style
    I also understand that people love planning to this extreme, which is great. Wave to me on your way to your next scheduled event, I'll be the one leaning against a pole with what was once a Mickey Bar smeared all over my face and t-shirt.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    Sorry. I had to jump off my computer and didn't have a chance to finish my thoughts on my last post. And now I'm on my phone so this will probably be typo ridden.

I think what will matter is how the average user uses the app in the parks. Will they keep it up all they for the maps and the wait times? I have used the app in the parks and yes it does use up battery if you keep it running. I never do. I might make and ADR or check a wait time for something on the other side of the park . I have never used the map. Will the average user use it like I do? I don't know?

If you've scheduled your fast passes and not making changes , will there be a reason to keep it running? I have no idea about that either.

I do feel prett certain that no matter how many charging stations Disney provides there is no way they can meet the demand. As I mentioned they couldn't meet the demand in the Chase lounge when I was there. Lots of people with phones and iPads.

For me, it won't change anything. Between. Twitter, photos , videos , Facebook and maybe the occasional Intercot post , I regularly recharge at least twice during the day and carry enough for 4.

I think the WiFi as it is was on my last visit is a definite issue. The signal dropped a lot and ran the battery down a lot. I switched back to my cell service. I think I said this on a different thread but I really wish Disney would give some real answers so we would all know but I'm afraid they don't know themselves.
    I have read and heard horror stories about the wifi.. And yea, it is true it depends how much you use your phone/the app... I can tell you, before this MyMagic+ stuff, the first app, My Disney Experience, I tested it out a few times in MK to see if the ride times were accurate... Man, did it drain my battery... by mid afternoon my phone was dead... And no, I don't use it for pictures... didn't use it to text or access any web pages... Just the app... battery drained...

These D Zones (or whatever they will be called) are going to need FP+... LoL... Reserve your D Zone charging time 60 days in advance!!!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

These D Zones (or whatever they will be called) are going to need FP+... LoL... Reserve your D Zone charging time 60 days in advance!!!
    Sshhhh! You don't want to give them any ideas.
    Cindy aka AgentC

Post Thanks / Like

I think so. The Rapunzel rest room area has them and the they are slotted to go in the Storybook Circus area. I haven't heard anything about the other park but it would make sense.
    Sorry, this just struck me as funny--the image of people hanging around the restrooms to charge their phones. A whole new era of Disney magic!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

And with how long phones take to charge, you can be looking at waiting possibly an hour...

Put it in perspective: using the phone to take pictures, having to be on the app practically all the time (for your FP+, ADRs, and ride wait times along with the park maps), and the connection to the weak wifi, battery life will not last long at all...
    ....a magical vacation it does not make.
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, if folks turn off 'cellular data' and only use Wi-Fi you will not drain your battery (and not incur overage charges.

This, of course, assumes the WDW wi-fi is dependable!

Post Thanks / Like

I have read and heard horror stories about the wifi.. And yea, it is true it depends how much you use your phone/the app... I can tell you, before this MyMagic+ stuff, the first app, My Disney Experience, I tested it out a few times in MK to see if the ride times were accurate... Man, did it drain my battery... by mid afternoon my phone was dead... And no, I don't use it for pictures... didn't use it to text or access any web pages... Just the app... battery drained...

Or maybe, in WDW, I'm totally off!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
    BTW, if folks turn off 'cellular data' and only use Wi-Fi you will not drain your battery (and not incur overage charges.

This, of course, assumes the WDW wi-fi is dependable!
    is free Wifi available for only certain carriers?

I have sprint.

I have a samsung galaxy 3, and the battery lasts 1 day with pretty heavy cell data usage. I also use an animated screen, live weather updates, games, e-mails etc.

My battery lasts less when it is in and out of signal range (nor wifi, I mean cell data)

My phone is in a wifi deadzone at work, and I find even with it on it does not drain the battery as much as my animated screen does.

If you are still concerned (The sky is falling! the sky is falling! I'll have to wait in hour long lines to charge my phone to get a fastpass +!! aaaaah!!)

Here's a solution that I have, and it is a wonderful thing to keep with you. You can buy a portable charger that charges the phone in your pocket or whatever. Just charge the portable charger overnight (needs 12 hours plugged in) and it will fully charge an iphone or other smartphone 3x WITHOUT needing to recharge the portable charger.

Honestly, with how dependant we all are for our phones, I suspect many people already have these portable chargers.They are SO important and I suggest everyone have one just in case you need to recharge your phone when away from your regular charger.

I feel that as long as you charge your phone every night you won't have an issue...maybe just turn off all the extra battery-draining features you don't need in WDW if you are really concerned, and bring that portable charger as an additional backup.
    1980 Golf Resort(Was Disney Inn, now Shades of Green)
    1986 Contemporary
    1992 Swan
    1999 POFQ
    2003 (10/13-21) AKL Platinum Honeymoon (Grand Marshals - HS)
    2008 (10/7-15) Poly Platinum 5th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/6-13) Poly Platinum 10th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/13-17) Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

I think the fast pass plus system may help the standby lines, especially if they do away with standard fast pass. I think fp are going to very limited meaning less people entering into the fp line which makes the standby line move faster. I know when I was at Disneyland in August their standby lines moved fast, especially on the rides with no fp. I won't be getting fp+, I do not plan that far and just go with the flow.
    Foshe's
    Aug 2-11, 2014
    Sept 21-26, 2013no kids allowed
    June 2-9, 2012
    dec 20-26,2009
    July 11-17 2009, DEC21-25 2008,
    July 13-18 2008, Aug 6-10 2007
    July 2006/ French quarter
    July 2005/ Yach club
    July 2004/ POP (familys first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cfoshe View Post
    I think the fast pass plus system may help the standby lines, especially if they do away with standard fast pass.
    cfoshe, I fear it may have the opposite effect. I tend to agree with Son of Jorel.

Take our family, for example: We usually head down to WDW near the end of September/beginning of October because the crowds are manageable. During a typical 10-day stay, we will use FastPass between 13 - 15 times. For us, FastPass will be most active in the Magic Kingdom, where we'll use it on Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and maybe Space Mountain. We seem to only use one FastPass (Soarin') per day at Epcot, maybe two per day at Hollywood Studios (TSM (if any are left), RnRC) and almost never any at Animal Kingdom. (We don't mind waiting in line for Expedition: Everest. Great queue.)

With FastPass+, we will probably schedule our alotted three per day, but may not use (or need to use) them all. Maybe none. That will make fewer available and place MORE PEOPLE in standby.

I guess time will tell. I'm hopeful, but somewhat skeptical, especially since I really like the current system.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRose1 View Post
    Yes, it is free for everyone.

The reason I have found it to drain my battery is because in addition to the free Guest WiFi, there are other WiFi networks in the park. The Galaxy might be different but on most cell phones if WiFi is on and the phone isn't on a network, it constantly looks for a network to join. Since the guest Wifi can be weak and drop, phones search for a network and drain batteries faster than if they were on a cell connection or on an active WiFi connection.

I do agree that lots of people probably already carry a back up battery.
    Cindy aka AgentC

Post Thanks / Like

The worst thing for a cellphone battery is no cell/wi-fi signal or an extremely weak one. By design, it tries to find and maintain a strong signal. Weak signals while in attractions/queues are hitting that battery hard.

The real solution to this problem is having a device that will recharge the battery using energy you build up by simply walking around the parks. The technology isn't great yet, but it should improve over time. Maybe Disney should pour some R&D investment into that.

Post Thanks / Like

UGH! Remember when planning a vacation only consisted of flight, hotel, tickets, and maybe a car? No anymore. Plan your FP's, ADR's, Meet & Greet. The list goes on and on. Whatever happened to spontaneity? I know a lot of people like to plan things for Disney, but it seems that everyone now needs to plan down to the second to get any enjoyment out of Disney. Have not been to the World in three years. Hopefully, I will not be disappointed with all of the changes that have taken place the last few years. Venting now complete. Carry on earthlings.

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    So now we wait in line to use a charging station? Major time waster. Double sigh.
    Yep...I'm not wasintg my time charging my phone.
    I had also heard that the WiFi in the parks is not great-low signals. So for people who do not have an unlimited data plan on a smart phone or tablet-it may be very difficult for them to change their FP reservations if they need to-thus creating even more "no shows" out of people who would have changed their reservations had it not been so difficult.
    I'm going to hold my breath, cuz I don't think I will be holding it for long. I see this being a disaster right out of the gate.
    I will say-I got my new RFID card-and it wasn't any faster getting in the park than my old paper pass. Takes the same amount of time for it to read my card and my finger print and give me the green light than the old turnstiles.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

WiFi has nothing to do with cell phone carriers. If there is free WiFi, and you have a device with an antenna, you can connect.

I do agree that lots of people probably already carry a back up battery.
    There are other options. For Christmas, my wife gave me a small solar device, about the size of my phone, that stores solar energy into a battery that I can plug my phone into to recharge it. I'm thinking that i'll just throw this into one of the pockets on my cargo shorts and use this to recharge my phone (if needed) during a break, lunch, long queue, wherever. Costs about $20.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    WiFi has nothing to do with cell phone carriers. If there is free WiFi, and you have a device with an antenna, you can connect.
    in my area that is not the case. There is free wifi, but it is only for one specific provider or phone/cable/internet. I'm talking free open air anywhere in my town Wifi. You need to log in (at least once!) to use it on each device. If you do not have that service provider, you can not log in. (Log-in info is specific to each household.)

I was told (obviously this is not the case) that free wifi was only for the exclusive use of Verizon customers.

If you go to a hotel that offers free wifi, you can get free wifi, but you need to get the log-in info, it just does not come up automatically. In your home it is the same way unless you have chosen not to password/username protect it. If free wifi was limited to one carrier, it could require a specific carrier with specific access info.

I'm not the most tech savvy, but this is how it works for me.
    1980 Golf Resort(Was Disney Inn, now Shades of Green)
    1986 Contemporary
    1992 Swan
    1999 POFQ
    2003 (10/13-21) AKL Platinum Honeymoon (Grand Marshals - HS)
    2008 (10/7-15) Poly Platinum 5th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/6-13) Poly Platinum 10th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/13-17) Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

Let's not forget... GPS also drains your battery... I know the old app relied on GPS.. I'm sure the new app does as well...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

in my area that is not the case. There is free wifi, but it is only for one specific provider or phone/cable/internet.
    You are mixing up several different ideas in your post.

Let's just discuss what is the case currently at WDW parks.

There is free-for-guests-to-use, whole park coverage (that's debatable,) no-password-required... Wi-Fi.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we're getting off on my original point, which is: It is entirely possible weeks out from your dream vacation to Walt Disney World you will know in advance there are rides (or attractions) in which you are not going to participate.

In what should be some of the most exciting time -- the time before your WDW vacation -- could turn out to be a depressing time.

Picture this: it is two days before you leave for your trip. You are having your ritual pre-Disney-vacation dinner at your favorite locale (for use, Joe's Crab Shack). Your DD9 says, "I can't wait to ride Soarin'."
    "Probably not going to ride that this trip. All the FastPasses were gone before I got one."
    Your wife says, "I can't wait to see the new Fantasyland."
    "Yeah, but the Peter Pan FastPasses were gone and there's no way our son is going to wait 60 minutes in that line."
    How is that fun?

Does it happen that we don't get to ride some rides on vacation? Sure. Every time, for us, in fact. On our last trip, we arrived at DHS too late for FastPasses and didn't want to wait in a 70-minute line. Since we were only in that park once, we chose not to ride it that trip. it happens. There's a lot to do in Disney and we can't fit it all in. I get that.

But I don't want to know before I board my plane I have no plans to ride certain rides. I have little kids. I go to Disney for my little kids. They have a great system in place where my little kids can ride great rides with minimal wait. And that makes us big kids very happy. I'm still trying to figure out who this change benefits? And at who's expense does it come? If it's for the benefit of the hard-core Disney-phile, I don't think we were complaining that much about the current system. If it is to benefit the newbie, it appears it will be so cumbersome, newbies will have a hard time utilizing it. If it only benefits Disney, then that stinks! I hope that's not the case.

I hope I'm wrong -- dead wrong -- about this new system. I hope it's great. But thinking it through, I can't see it working well, at least not at the beginning.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness