Quantcast Old Key West

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Old Key West

Post Thanks / Like

Post Old Key West

Just found out we will be staying at Old Key West for the first time in February. Any advice on anything from food to transportation would be a big help. As always thanks in advance for your great help. Have a magical day!
    It doesn't matter. It's in the past - Rafiki
    Trips
    '97 CB
    '98 CS
    '01 AKL
    '03 AKL
    '04 Dolphin June
    '06 FWC October
    '07 Off site Janauary
    '07 FWC April
    '07 FWC August
    '09 POFQ January
    '09 POFQ May
    '09 POFQ September
    '10 AKL/POR
    '10 FW
    '11 POR
    '11 FW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We stayed for a week in March for the first time. We absolutely loved OKW!!!! The rooms are HUGE and I really liked the theming and layout of this property. The only real issue I had with this resort is that there are no elevators on the property. My DM was with us and she has a physical issue that severly limits her mobility. I asked for a 1st floor (explained the issue) but when we checked in they put us on the 2nd floor and had no other rooms available. We got it all straightened out but it was an issue the first night. Other than this we really had zero complaints and loved having so much space!
    We ate at the sit down restaurant (can't remember the name of it right now). The food was okay, not great but it was not terrible either.
    I haven't stayed there enough to give you advice on room/building selection however I am sure that there are many others on here that are OKW experts.
    I hope you enjoy your stay!!!!

Julile
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I will say I enjoyed our second stay there much better than our first mostly due to the location of our room. On our last stay, we were very close to the main building - the location was ideal and the room huge.

By the way, I almost didn't post at all since I noticed you started with a thumbs down which makes it feel a bit like you've already made up your mind to not like this resort.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at OKW near the end of April this year. Keep in mind that this is a very large resort.
    We were put near the back of the resort (sadly quite near a very busy road), which was not a huge problem, but could have been quieter.
    We had a bit of a walk to the bus stop. There were ways you could take a bus to the main building of the resort, and other ways to get to the parks from the buses which I don't remember all that well right now. Frankly it was a little complicated to remember each day.
    After we stayed there, I do remember one thing I said to the rest of our friends... I wish I had my car! Could have saved a lot of time going to the pool, main building, Olivia's restaurant, etc.
    It is a nice resort... but I REALLY missed having a car.
    "Hey look... its the Incredibles parade!"

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Why the thumbs down when you have not even stayed there yet?

Anyway, OKW is our favorite DVC resort. Try the Gurgling Suite Case for a drink and Olivia's is a nice sit down restaurant.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Post Thanks / Like

Default thumbs down mistake

sorry about the thumbs down that was an error on my part. I didn't have my glasses on
    It doesn't matter. It's in the past - Rafiki
    Trips
    '97 CB
    '98 CS
    '01 AKL
    '03 AKL
    '04 Dolphin June
    '06 FWC October
    '07 Off site Janauary
    '07 FWC April
    '07 FWC August
    '09 POFQ January
    '09 POFQ May
    '09 POFQ September
    '10 AKL/POR
    '10 FW
    '11 POR
    '11 FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki fan View Post
    sorry about the thumbs down that was an error on my part. I didn't have my glasses on
    No problem, I fixed it for you!

I have now stayed at all of the DVC properties at WDW and OKW is my least favorite, though we don't have a strong dislike for the place. One of the main problems is the layout of the resort. Taking a bus at OKW takes forever! It is a long bus ride out of SSR too, but they fixed the issue of the buses getting in and out of the bus stop and it is much smoother than OKW.

My other issue is the lack of elevators. Only 3 buildings have elevators and from what I can see, they are nowhere near the Hospitality House. Needing a wheelchair accessible room for my Mom, that leaves us 1st floor rooms. I do not like first floor rooms at exterior hallway hotels, not due to safety, but because of what could crawl into the room!

The rooms are nice and large and the refurb did improve the look of the rooms, but when traveling with my Mom and her wheelchair, OKW doesn't work well for us.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

OKW has quickly become one of my favorite resorts. We have stayed a few times but most recently for a week in October 2013.

We like miller road, 2nd floor..it's quieter in that area in my opinion but it is in the back of the resort. We didn't mind bc we always have a car. Also, don't forget that there are no elevators but we didn't mind lugging our luggage up the stairs

Breakfast at Olivia's is so relaxing, we sit outside on the patio and the food has been consistently good. The only thing that I don't love is their quick service for breakfast. The bus system is good and we love the boat to downtown.

The rooms are huge and updated. The walls can seem a little thin at times if you have noisy neighbors. Have a wonderful time

62 days!!!!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

We own 50 DVC points at OKW, but have not stayed there yet. We need to! We've never even set foot in the resort. We've used the points to stay at Hilton Head twice, Bay Lake Tower, Wilderness Lodge Villas, and the Boardwalk Villas. But not OKW. Not yet. I really, really want to, though!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: